General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range rover 2001 AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range rover 2001 AC problem

Hi everyone , I have range rover 2001, everything is good so far except I just discovered that AC is not working, basically this is my new car and have not master yet. when I switch the engine on heating system comes on automatically and blows hot air, when I reduce the numbers down to 16 or even when I chose 'Lo' it does not get cold at all, if I increase the numbers it does get hot. so I concluded that AC is not working, but before I will start spending money I wanted to I ask your opinion, is there something that I don't do properly, like may be there is some button that I need to press or some combination? because heating system is continuously on and I cannot switch it of when I have my windows down. only button I see is A/C off, and when I press it no much deference. any suggestions or advise or expertise much appreciated

Thank you

Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

a/c off button should be off. ie no orange light. Is the compressor turning on? Is there a book symbol on the climate control screen? If so, when does it come on? Could be a simple solution like a relay or a fuse. Might want to check those first.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Overlanding

Thank you very much for reply, today I took the car to mechanic and when he checked the gas was gone, than he checked for leak and he found it as pipes are entering inside and he suggested that it might be o ring gone off, so plan is to replace them and then gas it up after. I still concern because I never used AC since April 2010 until yesterday so I hope compressor is ok. is there any way to switch of the heating system completely? like no AC and no blowing of any air from vents? thanks again

Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Mudding

I thought orange light meant AC was off? At least that seems to be how mine is.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Overlanding

yes when you press A/C off button orange light comes on and AC will tern off but system still on, still blows air from outside, I am in hot country right now and outside temperature is very high, so when AC is off I am still getting worm air coming from vents, I can not use AC at this moment because its not working, so I have my windows down but air from the vents drives me mad, surly must be some way to completely turn of heating system, every other car I owned had it. thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsd2004,
If the AC orange light is illuminated in my RR the AC is off. Strange concept since the defroster buttons illuminate when in use same is true with the heated seat buttons. I have just gotten use to it. Now I'm reading that the AC orange light on button should be on when in use. Very strange but at least I'm not the only Rover with this quirk.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, you need to understand that you can't just "turn off" the heating system. The heating system is always on. The heat comes from a small radiator in your dash. There is engine coolant in it that heats up once the engine gets to operating temp. There are small devices called blend motors that will move the air source depending on if you want the air coming out to be warmer or cooler. To make the air cool it simply moves the doors to duct air to the a/c evaporator. It will duct the air to the heater core when you want the air warmer.

You need to do several things to rule out other problems. Set your temp to the lowest possible setting "LO" on both sides. Make sure the A/C off button is NOT illuminated. Open your hood and locate the a/c compressor. If the compressor is not cycling on and off, you probably have a clutch problem. If it is engaging, take you hand and place it on the hot and cold pipes. If the sides are not hot and cold after a few seconds, you do not have enough refrigerant in the system. If the a/c is engaging and both sides of the compressor are hot and cold, then you have a blend motor problem. If its a blend motor problem, cycle your temperatures from HI to LO with the fans completely off. In some cases they will free themselves.

Take extreme caution while placing your hand on the compressor. Lots of belts moving around.... Oh and don't hold your hand on the hot and cold side for too long for obvious reasons.

Last edited by LRScott; 01-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by tolia5
still blows air from outside
You can set it to "recirculate" and it will only use inside air and not pull in the air from outside. The button is the one just below the A/C off button. You can also manually adjust the fan speed to the lowest setting and that will help a bit. I do wish there was a way to turn the blower off 100%.