General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover & Discovery Engines - Interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Range Rover & Discovery Engines - Interchangeable?

Is the P38 4.0L interchangeable with the Discovery 4.0L? If not, what's different? I've been looking for an engine for my 97 P38 and I find that if I search for the Disco engine, there are more available and they are far less expensive. Any insight would be helpful.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be identical. There will be subtle differences on the electrical side, but the block, heads, etc. are the same. Did you determine the cause of death of your previous engine? It is not like a rover engine to suddenly and with out warning, self-destruct.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 AM
4wd Low

I actually haven't had a chance to diagnose the problem. It broke down, I had it towed to a family member's house in Phoenix, and I hopped a flight to Jacksonville the next day. But from memory, the oil was virtually empty, it was all over the engine compartment, the coolant was empty, I checked and smelled the transmission fluid, it was fine. The battery was dying so I couldn't continue cranking it, but it would crank, and when the engine ran last, prior to the last time it shut off after overheating, there was a bad tapping noise coming from the top end of the engine, that sounded to me like valves. Last I tried to crank it, it dragged *** pretty bad, like the engine was trying to turn, but it was struggling. I could hear a funny noise when it was doing that, so that made me believe that the cylinder walls were scored. The only way to really know would be to pull it apart and check it out. It was in pretty bad shape when I left it though... I want to fix it so bad. I don't want another vehicle. I just need to get this done. Seems like the swap would be the easiest way. Should I replace the radiator and other cooling system parts when I swap the new powerplant?

Last edited by rockcity; 12-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Should I replace the radiator and other cooling system parts when I swap the new powerplant?
Would definitely be a good idea. Did you change your coolant before the trip?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LRScott
Would definitely be a good idea. Did you change your coolant before the trip?
Yes, I did a complete system flush before I left. And I made sure to bleed the system to ensure there was no air in it. As I mentioned before, I drove it a solid 600 miles before I even left. It's an anomaly that the engine even failed when it did. It was completely unexpected. It ran like a champ the entire time, aside from the diff gears being chewed up, it was solid.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, you just need to make sure to find a GEMS engine and not a Bosch. It is a fairly easy swap and by myself I did it in a day. You may need to add in some wiring though or swap over your wiring harness from the Range.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go Rock city, Keep us posted on your progress...
Glad to see you didn't take my advice on it being a pain. Once you go Rover you never go back. I've had 7 Discovery's and 2 Range Rovers

Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Well, its too bad that happened. I can't tell you how rare sudden engine death is on a rover. It is usually a gradual thing when rover engines go, and usually less dramatic. I do not have the ability to look at the vehicle so my determination of death is not going to be spot on.

I am willing to bet some sort of failure in the oil system caused it to self-destruct. Such as a leak, or something causing the over pressurization of the crank case. The oil was spewed out of the engine, which then overheated due to lack of oil, the block cracked, and then the engine consumed all it's coolant. The temp gauge lit up, followed by the oil pump loosing pressure and the oil light coming on, the engine could not keep up with demand causing the alternator output to fall thus causing the battery light to appear, then the gearbox fault message showed up just because the voltage was so low in the electrical system (mine will say "gearbox fault" if the battery is really low). Definitely sounds like a trashed engine, good luck on finding a new one. Hope it all works out!

I would have the new one completely rebuilt so you do not have to worry about it again. Might as well do it right .

Last edited by LRScott; 12-22-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 AM
4wd Low

Wow... LRScott your explanation explains the chain of events so intimately. The lights all lit up in the same way you just explained it. I'm willing to bet that's EXACTLY what happened. I don't even know for sure and I experienced it. But it FEELS so right. I'm gonna fly out to phoenix in a couple weeks to put my hands on it. Here's hoping these threads and other places I've posted my story are right about the head gasket only.

I'm gonna try the mechanic-in-a-bottle method and put some Blue Devil in it. The worst that could happen is I need another engine, which is what I believe to be the case anyway. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. Thanks for all your support and all your comments, to everyone who commented. Even those I may have argued and/or disagreed with.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Here's hoping these threads and other places I've posted my story are right about the head gasket only.
For your sake, I hope I'm wrong

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Quick Reply: Range Rover & Discovery Engines - Interchangeable?