General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR Sport - Loss of Drive to wheels fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:53 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR Sport - Loss of Drive to wheels fault

Late 2005 RR Sport HSE Diesel
I posted this earlier but message appears to be lost and never appeared on the site.
The last few weeks I have been experiencing an intermitted fault on my RR. As someone with no technical knowledge whatsoever I thought maybe some of you guys can help.
Occasionally when driving the dashboard beeps and shows an error message "Engine Fault All systems off" and I lose all drive to the wheels. The engine is running fine and can be revved but there is no drive to the wheels despite being in gear. I then either pull over if near layby or coast to a halt on an empty road. At this point I put the RR into neutral then back in to gear and drive off as though nothing has happened. Now this is pretty dangerous as anyone can stack in to the back of me if on a freeway/motorway so im a little concerned now. This has happened maybe 10 times in the last few weeks.
I have spoken to my local dealer who didnt recognise the problem from my description and is taking it in late this week to look at. My concern is that if they have no idea of the fault diagnosing it might be difficult. Of course the error might be stored in the computer but equally it might not.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so can you point me in the right direction for when I give it in to the garage. Any help will be appreciated as it will save me time in the garage and therefore money.
Incidentally my wife who drives it more than me also thinks recently its been lacking power when you put your foot down although her last car was a 996 so not sure if she is just expecting a little too much response from the 2.7 Diesel power!!!!
Cheers

Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It needs to be put on a computer to gather all of the relevant information. I have not heard of this issue before. It might be a sensor malfunction, probably transmission related. If it were me, I would try a battery disconnect overnight. Sometimes the computers just get jammed up with crap and need to be cleared. Make sure you know the procedure for demobilizing the car, as the alarm system might freak out if you do this improperly. Call a dealership, they should tell you what you need to do if you are disconnecting the battery.