General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Traction Control/Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover Traction Control/Transmission Question

I have a 96 RR 4.0 and was wondering if someone would be able to explain the transmission set up on the Range and when u should switch to the downhill picture and uphill picture? I have had my Range for a couple of years now, but never quite really understood. I know that my Range handles great and I love it, but I want to understand the workings of the system. I live in the Washington state and we are going to be getting some snow soon. I appreciate the input.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Rock Crawling

For most driving conditions you shouldn't need to need to do anything with the transmission at all. The "uphill" and "downhill" are for when you are in low range and is generally used only when off roading. The traction control is automatic and works fairly well. The ABS on the other hand, I hate!! It is way too sensitive and has caused many "near misses" for me. If my wife didn't drive the truck sometimes I would have disabled it a long time ago.

Last edited by krazzz; 11-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Krazz said, the Rover is smart enough for your winter driving. When you go off road and are getting into some serious terrain then you will use the other side of the shift lever.

However, it is good now and then to switch it over and drive it on some gravel to keep things running smooth and make sure it is functioning properly.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Mudding

Agree with both posters above, to add to it:

(just in case you are unsure) To put it in the low range, foot on the brake and shift to N, slide the shifter over and watch the message center, keep over in the low side of N until the message center indicates you are in low range (you can usually feel it too) and get a beep. Then you can shift into a drive gear on the Low side. Do all of this while at a complete stop.

Now you will have a different set of gear ratios at your disposal.

The "downhill picture" you would use when traversing a steep decline, either off-road or perhaps on-road when there is heavy snow or snowpack on the road. The truck will now basically creep down the hill with the engine and transmission/t-case working in conjunction to provide engine braking and reduce the need for foot braking and therefore decreasing the possibility of locking up a wheel and sliding.

The "uphill" could be used in similar road conditions described above, but of course when ascending a steep incline. This ratio will allow you to gather more speed to keep your momentum when going up the hill, however it will also keep the RPM's high and the motor in a good torque range so it doesn't shift on you mid-hill and possibly cause you to spin out.

The TCS system works pretty good, its not very intrusive when in Low and off-road. I find it to let you get away with more wheelspin in Low range than in High, at least it seems that way in my truck.

I don't care for the ABS either, I've thought about pulling the fuse.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Rock Crawling

I can break all four tires loose when I have it in low range. It is very peppy, too bad it's not always like that. I've thought about hooking up a switch for the ABS so I can turn it on for my wife and off for me.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Mudding

Wow, all 4 on dry pavement? Sweet. With my Grabbers on I have a hard time breaking them loose in the dirt!

There is an admin over on the RangeRovers.net board who did just that. He has a toggle switch he installed on his dash somewhere that he uses to toggle ABS on and off.

I'm thinking I may give it a go also....but some other higher priority gremlins are keeping and fun stuff at bay right now.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Mine has a hard time breaking traction in the snow, but I guess that's a good thing.