General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR County - factory stereo head unit Question (already have security code)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR County - factory stereo head unit Question (already have security code)

** Hey for those who are in the know... I picked up a '93 County recently and got the code for the stereo and turned it back on... Works fine, seemingly, except for that I really don't know how to use it, and it's not exactly intuitive to do so. There's no real hints within the fonts on the face of the head unit for the tape deck within it, or using the factory CD changer, etc, out back...

Any ideas?
The County doesn't have it's original owner's manual... but does have a full mechanic's guide.

I'd like to think I'm able to figure most electronics out via trial and error, so if the problem is just that this one's features aren't ALL working, then what would the Rover veterans suggest as to replacing the stereo? I'm not sure if it's possible to just get a new head unit and be able to use the existing CD changer, etc. is there a source for getting old fully-functional County head units?

Thanks !!

Shawn
shrednews@gmail.com

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the head unit is functioning, I would just keep it. You are right, it takes some getting used to. I have always learned by trial and error when dealing with electronics. You might be able to get a hold of an owner manual's online for cheap that will explain the functions in more detail.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Rock Crawling

If you find that it needs repair, I recomend Roverville Radio. They fixed the radio in my p38. Very professional and fast service.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
7th Gear

thanks for the response guys, I think it's partially malfunctioning, the led display doesn't even light up. I haven't yet, gotten it to really do much...radio frequency comes in, but no tape deck function, or control of the CD changer out back.

I'll check into roverville radio or other fix or replacement options...

would still like to hear what is known about replacing with a functioning unit from another RR County

Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM
7th Gear
Default Roverville Radio

so i checked into their service, seems like a pretty cool crew of Rover people, I might be going that route. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with their solution. Always good to support enthusiasts...

BUT, I have one hesitation... It seems a bit silly to spend that kind of money to keep an old, out-of-date Rover head unit in service, just for the sake of OEM aesthetics or pride.. i really don't hold to that principle with classic cars if it's counterproductive.
A really nice new head unit with all sorts of handy options can be bought nowadays for under 150, so if a new radio with CD changer controls can be retrofitted to Counties with CD changers, than this seems the smartest way to go...

Any thoughts?

What are County owner's experiences with upgraded head units, and retaining all functions to the factory changer, amp, and sub?

thanks!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is possible to use a different unit. Unless you plan on installing it yourself and converting the wires using adapters and all the BS involved in switching. It may be worth it price wise to just have the unit repaired. My advice would be to get a quote on how much it would cost to have a new unit installed by a local shop. My boss put a new unit in his. The 6 CD changer no longer works and the sound just isn't the same in my opinion...