General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC transer box / diff: how to test?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC transer box / diff: how to test?

Hi,

I had my RR classic (1980 3.5EFi) on the rollers today having the brakes tested, and to my very great surprise, when the front wheels were being turned, the rears, which were on a bed of free rolling rollers, were stationary. Same with the fronts when the rear wheels were being turned.

Is this normal or is something broken? , I could swear last time it was done all 4 wheels turned at the same time!

The car was in N (it's an auto) and the diff-lock was off and in high ratio mode.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds normal to a certain degree. Essentially the way it is setup, only 2 wheels will move at a time. That is not the case with mine or some of the newer classics that have the viscous clutch, but as long as you don't hear any grinding noises I wouldn't be overlly concerned. With any differential setup, the wheel with the least resistance will turn. The center diff locker will keep that from happening between the front and rear wheels. At least that is what I am assuming.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. Thanks for that. I suppose it makes sense. My concern was that I was effectly driving a front wheel drive Rangey

I know that my Torsen Audi acts this way, but I was sure that my Range Rover was some how "more" 4wd...