General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Light

I have a 2000 Range Rover SE. How do I reset the "service engine" light? It startedcoming on periodically at 82k miles and it's driving me crazy. Don't want to take it to LR dealership for some expensive bs. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Service Engine Light

I don't believe that is a service light, it is a check engine light, go have your codes read and get back to us.
Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Mudding

Service light comes on about 80k.All it is is that to let you know you need to change your tannyfluid Engine oil coolantspark plugbrake fluidwill cost you 50buck to reset and only LR dealer NO low buget auto repair shopcan reset that. The unit to reset cost about 10k that why no can't reset except LD dealer.
Now for the Check Engine light is o2 Oxygen Sensor (lamda sensor) knows asbad gasa misfire (common code is po1316/po0306)LR dealer charge 100buck to reset that. But ifyou change the partjust diconnect the battery and it might reset itself.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Drifting

I think it its P0306 not po0306... Anyway, If just in case it was a P0306, this code means that the cars's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In my Nissan case it was cylinder #6 and it was caused by a faulty Nissan oxygen sensor, it could also be caused by a faulty spark plug or wire, coil (pack), fuel injector, burned exhaust valve, faulty catalytic converter, running out of fuel, poor compression and defective computer. Some symptoms include engine harder start, it may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate and other symptoms may also be present... If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code by disconnecting the battery and see if it comes back. If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 AM
4wd Low

My service engine light in a 96 rover at the time also did this. Itwas a service reminder to take the vehicleto have theemissions cleaned according to the service manual, I dont know of any other than a dealer who could perform that service. However In my vehicle there was a reset button locatedunder the passenger side glovebox,panel, etcin which a small diameter (a1/8 "or so shaft) could be inserted through a hole with a sticker to cover it.The dealer will reset in the same manner and replace with a genuine landroversticker after performing the necessary services. I have seen these resets under passenger seats of newer models.What model is the vehicle? If interested and if the reset exists on your vehicle, Ill try to find the correct secquence, as in key on etc..

Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Did you try your owner's manual???
You don't have an OBD1, but a OBD2 so you have to go get the codes read with a scanner to find out what is wrong. Disconnecting the battery won't cut it.
Get the codes and get back to us.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my impression that only on the amber check engine light can you pull OBD codes and reset it yourself because, in general, the red service engine light has rover specific codes that most OBD scanners may not pickup or may not be capable of reseting. I think the red service engine light requires a dealer (or software equivalent- Testbook, Rovacom) to reset... correct me f i'm wrong.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

This is not rock science, just go get the codes read, fix what ever is wrong them have the codes cleared.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to rest Service Engine Light on 1997 Discovery XD Special Vehicle

I have a 1997 Discovery XD Camel Trophy Edition on which the Service Engine red light came on at around 83k miles. Tried to find the reset switch under the passenger side glove box but found this XD version is different from the regular 1997 Disco. Under the glove box I only found a bunch of yellow relayes and the ECU box. No red color reset switch like the DiscoWeb article describes.
Does anyone experience the same before? or can anyone help me to point to the right location where I can find the switch?
Many thanks!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

page 496 of 591 in the D1 97 electrical guide shows the location is above that lower row of relays. But... with ECU under the dash, instead of under the hood in our mere mortal vehicles, .... interesting. You mightsee if a review of the wiring diagram leads to another connector or junction where that silly module can be disconnected. Usually has a peel off sticker that allows inset of a tool to short two pins and reset. Look for a yellow/pink wire, not too many of those.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light