General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo - Not working on left side

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo - Not working on left side

For the past few months my wife has been yelling at me to turn down the radio. I was starting to think that I was going deaf because I could hardly hear it. As it turns out there is no sound coming from the front or rear speakers on the left side. Is there an internal fuse or something that I can check to try and get the sound back? I am going on a 9 hour trip tomorrow and would really like to listen to the radio instead of my wife Please Help!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling

I was thinking about this a little more and remembered that Rovers have a factory amp. Do you think it is more likely to be an amp problem not working on one of the channels. I really hope there is a radio guru on here with some advice so that I can try and fix it tonight. Otherwise it is going to be a LONG day for me tomorrow

Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Checked the fuses, they were all good. Bad head unit?? Help!!!

Does anybody have a good used one for sale?

Last edited by krazzz; 12-16-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling

If it's the entire side, well... whether it could be the amp depends on whether the amp is actively biamped or not, and I don't know. It would be less likely to be the amp if it was biamped, since you'd have to lose both channels. In fact, since it's 4-corner, that's still true.

I'd bet on a problem in the head unit. You don't mention, so I'll ask: you *have* confirmed the balance setting is 0 for center, right?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling

That is how I found the problem. I was sick of her telling me to turn it down all the time so I moved the balance to the left and there was no sound at all. I'm starting to look for a head unit as I write this...

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I replaced the stereo tonight and was not happy to find out the problem wasn't the stereo head unit. The problem is still there. I have no sound out of the left side including the sub woofers. Does anybody know anything about these systems? Is it possible that it is a ground issue? I ruled that out early on because I didn't think that all of the speakers would share a ground but now I am hoping that is what it is. HELP, I really want my stereo back!!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling

After studying the RAVE manual I can safely rule out a ground issue because it shares a ground with the power windows and locks which are working fine. It does show that the BECM connects to each amp, what involvement does it have with the speakers? I don't see any reason why it should have anything to do with the radio. I really don't want to have to replace the BECM but I also can't live with only half of my speakers working. I may just have to get an after-market head unit and rewire the speakers

Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Overlanding

Hi Krazzz - it is pretty simple to rewire an aftermarket stereo to your P38A... I have done this several times without problems. I suspect your problem may actually be in the stereo head unit itself. I think I may have documented this somewhere on http://paulp39a.com and will check out as I find time.

Cheers, Paul.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 PM
4wd Low

Check the door check strap on the left front door. It requires removing the door panel. If the wires came loose inside the door, sometimes the checkstrap will pinch them against the frame. It can often grab the wires for your mirror too that way. That would be my next check but then again, your post is almost a year old so it may have already been repaired. But perhaps this will help another person.