General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a 2009+ Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a 2009+ Sport

It's time for me to transition from my Disco I to something newer as my DD, though I will always have that D1. Given the convergence of reliability and price point I'm seeking, I've been looking at 2009 RR Sports. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to expect in terms of problems, what options to consider, i.e. super charger, and what upgrades to plan for.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend ou up your game by a year. The 2010 models were completely revamped. Better gas mileage, bigger engine and dare I say, lighter?

Also, it has a slightly different look and the interior has been redesigned. I just got a 2010 RRS S/C and I love it. Granted it is my first Land Rover ever but I love learning all the new things (good and bad) that come with it. I wish I could directly answer your questions but in all honesty I've only had my Range Rover for less than 2 weeks so I'm still trying to get a feel of where the car is at maintenance wise and what it will need in the near future. One thing that was recommended to me was to change all the fluids, filters and spark plugs to ensure that everything continues to run well.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:55 AM
4th Gear

Moving into a My 10 is good advice. '10 does have a 515hp engine(if you are looking at the SC, and a slicker interior. I seriously doubt that you will notice the mileage diff. however.

That being said there is absolutely nothing wrong with my 06 - 09. In my household we have a '02 RR HSE, '06 RR SC, '06 RRS SC, and a '13 RRS SC. They are all great vehicles.

The second iteration of the 1st sport is quicker to 100mph and stops a lot faster. You can get the horsepower/stopping amped up in a pre '10 if that is what you are after. My pushes out about 500HP, but the reality is that it was a super fun car to drive before the mods, and unless you are hitting the track you are not really going to have opportunity to experience the difference. They perform the same on the highway, punch either at 60 and you are at 100 in no time, and that is where the power is most impressive.

As far as things to look for in the the RRS, 06-13; suspension is probably the first palce I would look. The air suspension is much better than in the older RR's. The air struts/shocks are pretty solid, the compressors tend to go, but can be rebuilt inexpensively (130.00) if you get them when the amber light first comes on. The sway bar bushings are a common issue. You will know if they are going, the car will start to sound like a old mattress over uneven terrain especially after a weather change from cold to hot. LCA's bushings will go eventually. easier to change the whole LCA. You will go through more front pads then most vehicles. You may get the dreaded heater issue ( I have it now in my 06 ) where the core, the blend motors, or the air flow motors go.

The engine and tranny are rock solid. Have seen some with over 300K on them and still running great.

The tranny is no maintenance tranny, should only have to touch it around a 100K.

Maintenance and repairs can be expensive at a dealer, but if you are mechanically inclined at all 90% of the fixes can be handled at home on the cheap.

I honestly think they are great vehicles regardless of the year.... thinking about a '14 RRS SC, but I may have to wait a couple years; you know wifes....

Old 02-22-2015, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

1. I'm off to look at a MY11 RRS SC with 75k miles on it. Other than what was mentioned what should I pay close attention to on my test drive?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wait!!!!

I didn't see it in your post so I'll warn you again. Make sure the car is a "Land Rover pre-owned certified" car and comes with an extended warranty. Otherwise, due to all the gadgets and nik naks it has something will go wrong and having just purchased it you may end up with a 10k repair bill (it would have happened to me had I not had that warranty).

Sounds to look for are loud whining noise on cold start (supercharger issues), vibration while braking (worn and warped rotors, a sign the previous driver was very bad at braking). Strange knocking noises coming from front of car that are not internal. Excessive engine knocking on cold start.