General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a proactive head gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a proactive head gasket repair

As the title says, I'm thinking about doing the head gasket on my 97 P38. Right now my truck has an exhaust leak out of the manifold and I figure that as long as I am pulling the manifolds off I might as well keep going and do the head gasket too. My truck has almost 122k miles and the head gaskets are original. I rely very heavily on my truck and I can't afford any unplanned downtime. I figure I might as well fix it on my terms rather than wait for it to inevitably go out one of these days. What do you guys think? Should I go for it or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Can anyone recommend a complete head gasket kit that they have used?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Anybody?? I guess I'm looking to have one questions answered.

Should I be proactive and fix it before it gives me problems OR It if ain't broke don't fix it?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling

I don't have a lot of time but I can make time and money isn't really an issue. I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry and fix it on my terms. If I didn't do it, it would most likely blow when I am 1,000+ miles from home. Not 100% sure that it is the manifold but it sounds like it is coming from there. I can't actually see or feel where it is coming out.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Well I just ordered the head gasket kit along with few other goodies like the transmission filter kit, thermostat, and serpentine belt. Looks like I know what will be doing for Memorial Day.

Has anyone run across a good pictorial on the head gasket procedure?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet there is a sticky in the Discovery section on the head gaskets. I have not done them on my Rover yet but from experience with other vehicles they are not too bad, just time consuming. I will look and see if I can find a write up but I am sure you can figure it out just by doing it.

Where did you buy the kit from? AB?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, I got the kit from AB. It looked to be the most complete and for a pretty fair price. I know I have seen a write on the job somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I will look a little later tonight. I have also done them on other cars and as long as you are very meticulous you are usually ok.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok, here I go. I am bitting the bullet and jumping in. Wish me luck! Looks like I have a nice 2 day window to do this. Check back later to see if both the Rover and I make it out alive.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Default gasget

Originally Posted by krazzz
As the title says, I'm thinking about doing the head gasket on my 97 P38. Right now my truck has an exhaust leak out of the manifold and I figure that as long as I am pulling the manifolds off I might as well keep going and do the head gasket too. My truck has almost 122k miles and the head gaskets are original. I rely very heavily on my truck and I can't afford any unplanned downtime. I figure I might as well fix it on my terms rather than wait for it to inevitably go out one of these days. What do you guys think? Should I go for it or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Can anyone recommend a complete head gasket kit that they have used?
krazz i have installed kits from atlantic british for some of my customer i like them...

Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by krazzz
Ok, here I go. I am bitting the bullet and jumping in. Wish me luck! Looks like I have a nice 2 day window to do this. Check back later to see if both the Rover and I make it out alive.
Hey krazzz, are you doing the job in Pittsburgh or up in Ludington? If you are in the burgh and need a hand shoot me a PM. I'm fairly handy and at least can offer moral support and drink your beer.

Good luck!