Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Range Rover
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Time to replace blend door motors and heater core

So I decided to join this forum after being on landroversonly.com for two years and having limited feedback from other members.

Winter is around the corner and I am debating on whether or not to do the blend door motor & heater core swap myself or fork up $2000 to have it done. Heat was never 100% on my truck and last year the only heat that I had (passenger side) cut out at the end of the winter.

Can anyone post any helpful tips or suggestions on conducting these repairs? I have reviewed the RAVE cd and Rangerovers.net writeups. Would be great to save $1000 on labor charges.
Painted front bumper - All black late model interior swap - Dual exhaust - Tinted signals - Black suede interior accents - 15" JL Audio Sub Bilstein shocks / Eibach spring conversion - RR Sport 20" Stormer wheels - 02' RR Westminster headlights, Brush guard & Roof rack

96' RR 4.0SE
02' front signals - Black suede interior accents - Coil spring conversion - 98' Cream Piped interior - Upgraded Dash

98' Volvo C70 HPT
PIAA headlights, clear corners & eyelids
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM

There are plenty of threads regarding shortcuts for this repair. The blend motor on the drivers side is easy to access. Just pull the lower panel and cut/pull the rear duct oout of the way. On the passenger side, you need to pull out the glovebox and attack the rear duct in the same manner. Put the duct back together with Gorilla tape and you're good to go:
Blend Motor Diagnosis and Replacement
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM

I believe this is one of the most active and informative Land Rover Forums in the English language. With that said:
Here are two links on a website everyone working on P38 should bookmark.
Blend Motor Diagnosis and Replacement
Heater Core Replacement (Range Rover 4.0/4.6/P48)

Careful, after looking at these pictures your confidence may go up a notch.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Indeed after reviewing the rangerovers.net website I decided to tackle the job on my own. The job will undergo as soon as the $1000 in parts arrive. My only remaining question (for now) is if I need to drain the coolant before pulling out the heater core? The write up and illustrations show a rag underneath the heater core while being extracted but do not mention if so. Will it come pouring out as soon as I pull it out of their?
Painted front bumper - All black late model interior swap - Dual exhaust - Tinted signals - Black suede interior accents - 15" JL Audio Sub Bilstein shocks / Eibach spring conversion - RR Sport 20" Stormer wheels - 02' RR Westminster headlights, Brush guard & Roof rack

96' RR 4.0SE
02' front signals - Black suede interior accents - Coil spring conversion - 98' Cream Piped interior - Upgraded Dash

98' Volvo C70 HPT
PIAA headlights, clear corners & eyelids
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 PM

You can use hose pliers to clamp the lines closed in the engine compartment but you will still make a mess with the coolant in the heater core. You need to move it around quite a bit to get the thing out. You can also disconnect the hoses in the engine compartment and blow the coolant out before you do the work to help keep the job a little cleaner.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 PM

Tags
2000, 40, blend, core, door, heater, hours, kit, labor, landrover, lr3, motor, range, repairing, replacement, rover