General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC condenser

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC condenser

Hello,

My AC condenser has a leak and I will replace it by myself.

I have one question: do I have to change the cooling fans in front of the condenser as well ?

When I turn the AC on, the fans are not turning. Is it normal or they have to always be turning when AC is on ?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year rover? Did you spot the leak? Mine turned out to be a really simple leak and was fixed by tightening the bolts on the back of the compressor. If you are going to replace the condenser it is generally wise to replace the fans. Although, I believe they can be removed from the bad condenser and placed on the new/good one.

The fans do not kick on much (this is assuming its a P38) but will once the temps hit a certain level. Mine will kick on when the coolant hits 210F and then shut off after it cools to 199F. The engine driven fan does a good job of keeping things cool.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Overlanding

Hello,

It's a Range Rover P38 SE 4.0 from 1997.

The engine fan is working fine.

So what is the use of these 2 fans in front of the condenser?

I don't know much about AC.

Thanks,

Pat

Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The electric fans reduce the high side head pressure on the compressor, and come into play at slow speeds or idle. At higher speed, normal airflow does the job. BE SURE if you replace them that the air flow is from outside thru condenser and on to radiator - not reversed. If reversed, your AC compressor will have extreme pressure (mine went to about 450 PSI), and vehicle will overheat as air is being pulled away from the viscous fan clutch. That fun clutch depends on air temp getting to about 170 before it begines to re-engage. Alaways change the receiver/dryer when changing the condensor - it removes moisture from the system and also acts like a filter to trap junk. My D1 has one smack in the middle of the condenser.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Overlanding

Hi,

Where is the receiver/dryer I have to changed too ?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench

The dryer is located (when looking from the front) to the lower right next to the radiator. It is black and the a/c lines run through it. How did you determine it is the condenser leaking?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Overlanding

I went to Land Rover and ask for filling the AC with freon. Ac was working it was blowing cold air inside the car. After 2 days, the air was warm.

So I came back to Land Rover and they said that all the freon was gone.

Then they put a green liquid to show leaks. And it was coming from under the condenser.

When they gave me the price to replace it, I thought it was better to replace it myself.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Pro Wrench

Do you plan on going the new or used route with the condenser? They are quite pricey new: A/C Condenser - Land Rover & Range Rover Parts

Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Overlanding

I have found one at Meyers Autoparts for $315. It's an after market, but my car is old and don't want to spend too much money on it

Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The salvage yards around me offer that sort of thing for $50 or less, 30 day warranty, and you can purchase a six month warranty for a few dollars (like $4). Their warranty is money back or another one, or yard credit. But this is the sort of thing that will show up a leak as soon as you vac down the system and re-fill with R134a. An indy A/C shop might be a cheaper route to vac and re-fill if you don't have the time or equipment for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC condenser