General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire suggestions for Range Rovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ANY Tire suggestions for Range Rovers?

Hello all,
My RR has Michelin Synchrone 255/55 R18 that need replacing. I think they are the originals. I found some code on the tires that when deciphered reads that they were made on the 45 week of the year and the year being 2001. Is it possible they lasted 77,300 miles??? The spare is identical but in mint condition. These are showing the beginning signs of dry rot but they have plenty of tread! Anyone remember what came on their 02 Rovers?

My question is I'm looking for a new set of tires but not sure which brand to trust and so I ask people I can trust the OWNERS of Range Rovers! I would be looking for a Mud and Snow that doesn't buzz or humm as I take it down the highway. My off roading will be minimal since life has a habit of not giving a lot of free time. Any opinions are very much appreciated.
RROJ

Last edited by RROJ; 05-31-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put brand new shoes on my 02, it needed new ones as well when I bought her. I put on Goodyear Fortera tripletreads, expensive tires however I dont need to change them out for snow tires come winter, they do excellent in snow. I used to have them on a 98 Discovery and they did well off roading as well. Only down side is they are not cheap.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Rock Crawling

I have notice 40+ members reading this issue. No opinions? Well, I did find out that Bridgestone has a tire that does well in the snow, mud, quiet on the highway and is at a reasonable price.
So far that tire is the runner up for my 2002 P38 HSE.
Thank you gsd2004 for your time and comment. It is always appreciated.
RROJ

Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of bridge stones. They seem to do well in slick situations, but don't seem to last very long. At least that has been my experience with them on my other car. I have a set of michelins on the RR that work pretty well, mine of course are not original. I've noticed that the original RR michelins on the P38s tend to last fairly long. It is not uncommon for a tire to last 80k miles if they are good. I would suggest doing more research on the web via a search engine as there is a lot of information all over the place on tires.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling

I did a long reply to a similar thread a few weeks ago. Do a search and you will find it. I love the tires on my truck and I would buy them again in a heart beat. If you look at my profile page you will see pictures of them.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Mudding

I run General Grabber ATII's, however based on your preferences I probably would not recommend them to you, as they are decidedly tilted more towards off road/snow traction than on-road performance and quiet operation.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Excellent feedback. Thank you all. I will continue my research. On another car of mine that had Michelins they went just over 80k until they started to show wear. Amazing. Must have been a good batch! lol

Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run Vredestein with good results. The only winter tire I know of that has a tread life warranty. They are great in Rain,snow,dry and light mud (not serious off roading)

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Rock Crawling

I have the Toyo Open Country A/T tires on my RR. They are smooth on the road and are great off road too. They are not that expensive either.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks always for the feed back men. I will see if my local tire guy carries them or can order your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions for Range Rovers