General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fail-Safe Prog

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fail-Safe Prog

I have a 04 Range Rover HSE. In the message center it reads "trans fail-safe prog"; what does this mean?

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Trans Fail-Safe Prog

Don't drive it, call the dealer and they will probably suggest you have it towed in.
How is it shifting, have you had any battery issues?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

My 03 Range Rover began pullin hills strange once I would get to a hill it would not shift out of second gear until I reached flat land and let go of the gas pedal, next it jerked a couple times when i put it in gear, then one day while driving it jerked after accelerating from a stop light and flashed trans. failsafe prog. it would only drive in 1st and 2nd gear then I pulled over and put it in park turned the car off and restarted it and then shifted into drive and it just drifted backwards, that same day I went up to the dealership after having it towed up there and started it up and put in drive and rev. and it worked fine. Dealrship said they found some high resistance wires and bad connections but also say they believe that there is internal transmission problems and they start at $10000. It has 62000 miles on it very clean. Any suggestions on what too look for so I dont get over-chargedd by dealer?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

trans failsafe locks your trans in 3rd gear. it is safe to drive, as long as its a short trip, and try not to start from a stop up a hill. t-box motors, t-box ecus, trans ecus, mafs, and tansmissions are the main cause of this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM
3rd Gear

My 05 Rover is showing the "trans failsafe prog" in the message center ONLY when I am driving...it has done a few times. It seems if I put the key in the first position to reset...it won't show it. Never had any probelms with the transmission. Never had any real problems with my Rover at all. However, I did just replace the battery with a M-93 Interstate battery...it was recommended by Interestate Battery for the rover....I have noticed that many folks first question on different forums is in regards to the battery/lowvoltage....could this be the issue? Don't feel like spending 4k for a new transmission...any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

needs it diagnosed. Trans fail message won't give you the code so you need to know what is the problem.

I have seen some issues with clip on the inner boot causing issues or even a stuffed radiator. But need diagnosis.

oh and I have seen the converter bite the dust destroying the trans a few times as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks...I will take it in. Got another question...some guy asked me what kind of oil I used and I told him Castrol 10 40...and he asked if it was synthetic? Is that an issue?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not see how the weight of the engine oil has anything to do with the transmission so it should not be an issue.

I would take it in and have the tranny looked at, it could be something simple or it could be bad and will just get worse and more expensive as you try to keep driving it.

I had a BMW that would do that now and then, found it was in the gear selector that would trick the message display into thinking there was something wrong, the tranny was fine.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:02 AM
3rd Gear
Default Trans Failsafe

Hi, I also have the trans failsafe message coming up, my car does not seem to go into gear and just revs up although if I turn the car off, lock it and then start it up again it will go into gear and move slightly but then just plays up again, we have had lots of snow here for the last week and the dealer said it is possibly something to do with the weather and needs hooking up to the computer and performing a hard re set, any advice?

Quick Reply: Trans Fail-Safe Prog