General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What to do?

Got a 99 bosh. Thing is that it has ome 764 with spacers on it. I cant seem to find shocks that will work with that type of lift. It seems to be about 3'' in height. It has 265/75/16 tires on it. Should I just pull the spacers and call it a day?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say... p38A's were never intended to work with coil springs and I've heard horror stories of coil conversions sagging after less than a year.

Do the brake lines stretch when you articulate it, or have the mounts been lowered to cope? This is a common problem with lifted P38A's.

With a 3" lift, the castor angle would be terrible, leading to a lot of wander in the steering... unless you have the mythical "P38A castor correction bushes" that I am yet to locate. Drive shaft vibration would also be a problem unless you have something like a double-cardan joint in the front shaft?

Mine still has EAS plus a 2" lift with custom Bilstein shocks and Arnott Gen III's and drives ok when EAS is on FREEWAY mode (on 255/85R16 tyres). I don't much like doing more than 80Km/h (50mph) on NORMAL or HIGH mode due to the castor angles.

Getting shocks to suit yours won't be too hard. Just calculate the closed and extended shock lengths you need and go see your friendly Bilstein or other shock place of choice. They will either have something in spec or modify something else for you.

Cheers, Paul.