General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Refinish

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Refinish

Anybody have an idea about the wheels as to refinish? Looks like Chrome Paint

Attached Thumbnails Wheel Refinish-paws.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be painted, looks like a bright aluminum finish. The best thing you can do is have them powder coated. They will last much longer.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by krazzz
It can be painted, looks like a bright aluminum finish. The best thing you can do is have them powder coated. They will last much longer.
Thanks MIGHT splurge for some new wheels.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Mudding

I would avoid any type of "chrome" spray paint. You will not be satisfied with the results. The spray cans just don't have the capability to look like chrome to much satisfaction.

Stick with a metallic color and you should be fine. I would go with a dedicated wheel paint (Duplicolor makes them in many colors, I've used that product and it works great) as an alternative to powder coating if you don't want to go through unmouting the tires etc.

If you decide to DIY post up, I've done many sets and can offer some tips.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris X
I would avoid any type of "chrome" spray paint. You will not be satisfied with the results. The spray cans just don't have the capability to look like chrome to much satisfaction.

Stick with a metallic color and you should be fine. I would go with a dedicated wheel paint (Duplicolor makes them in many colors, I've used that product and it works great) as an alternative to powder coating if you don't want to go through unmouting the tires etc.

If you decide to DIY post up, I've done many sets and can offer some tips.
With everything else being done to make this a "Proper Motor Truck" i will jolly well make the best effort on the wheels.
Getting the headliner replaced since the PO was a CIGAR smoker and it could gag a maggot on a hot day.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might check out www.wheeltechnologies.com. They used to be a customer of mine and they do a great job on restoring factory wheels.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by georgep
With everything else being done to make this a "Proper Motor Truck" i will jolly well make the best effort on the wheels.
Getting the headliner replaced since the PO was a CIGAR smoker and it could gag a maggot on a hot day.

Bummer - is the headliner in otherwise good shape? I've use my scent eliminator spray that I normally use for bow hunting on the headliner of my Rover and another car (my dog, well she smells sometimes - lol) and it worked nicely to neutralize the smell and didn't damage the headliner.

Usually a carbon type spray - I use Primos with silver in it. A spray bottle is 8 to $15 at most stores - Wal Mart even has it. Maybe worth a try....

Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgep
Thanks MIGHT splurge for some new wheels.
You should consider doing a wheel exchange instead of chumping up the money for brand new wheels. If the wheels on your Rover are in otherwise fairly good shape, you can pay like $500-$700 + a deposit and a wheel exchange company will ship you a set of wheels they've refinished (chrome plated or powder coated) that look brand new, then you ship them back your wheels and when they get your wheels, you get your deposit back. It works about to be about $125-$150/wheel or so. I've done this before with success and am getting ready to do it again for another car of mine. There is a company here in LA called LA Wheel and Tire (www.lawheel.com) that can do this and it's more cost effective than buying brand new wheels. There are some rules on the condition your wheels must be in to do the exchange though, i.e. no cracks or major rash, they need to be straight, etc.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris X
Bummer - is the headliner in otherwise good shape? I've use my scent eliminator spray that I normally use for bow hunting on the headliner of my Rover and another car (my dog, well she smells sometimes - lol) and it worked nicely to neutralize the smell and didn't damage the headliner.

Usually a carbon type spray - I use Primos with silver in it. A spray bottle is 8 to $15 at most stores - Wal Mart even has it. Maybe worth a try....
Headliner is sagging in the back and also over the visor area, and for $350.00 they do it all new so no big deal.
It is at the vets getting a WHOLE bunch of things brought up to perfect so the last will be the wheels and headliner.
Like the idea of the exchange but I think we will walnut blast and refinish as soon as the racing season is over. Modified is needing some TLC for the last couple of shows. WE wrapped up the points championship so now it is just fun running.