ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Cross Country Road Trip in April; anyone want to tag along?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile Cross Country Road Trip in April; anyone want to tag along?

Well after careful considerations and several discussions with fellow members here and elsewhere, Ive decided to shoot for a cross country Trek with my 04 D2. I'll be permanently relocating to Seward Alaska where I expect to live/work on the same grounds, working for Icicle Seafoods. Want to bring my truck and originally I was going to have it shipped up there but that cost an astounding $4,500+ and thats not counting my own personal travel expenses and shipping all my possessions up there. If I drive up it will cost me under $2,000 in gas excluding food and emergency cash, but Ill also be able to bring all my possesions with me so in the long run I think it will be much cheaper to drive.

I'll be leaving in early April is all goes as planned in the meantime. My TreK will begin in my home state of New Hampshire so it will be a very long journey. Right now Im working hard to save up all the $$$$ I will need plus update some maintenance related things on my truck to get it ready for the long drive. As far as prepping my truck is concerned here is the list Ive put together of all the parts Id like to replace.

- replace Headgaskets and engine valve cover gaskets with ARP studs.
- replace spark plugs and spark plug wires.
- replace cooling hoses, radiator, coolant expansion tank, cooling fan/clutch assembly and engine temperature sensor.
- replace all 4 o2 sensors.
- replace MAF sensor.
- replace Power steering pump, PS reservoir and PS hoses.
- replace old brake lines with stainless steel 4" extended lines and possible brake caliper lines.
- spare 180 thermostat
- spare crankshaft position sensor
- LED light bar or LED driving lamps for improved at night visibility in Moose country.
- 2'nd full size spare tire.
- Extra fluids
- CB radio
- Jerry Cans
BONUS: If I can find a good deal on a used SD high profile roof rack.

I think that concludes the list, and it will take me a couple more months to complete it but once its done Ill feel confident enough to make the TreK in my Disco. I have another small list of emergency supplies Ill be putting together as well but thats a no brainier.

So roughly 6 months left until the TreK if anybody is interested in going. I may be willing to free up one seat for someone but Id prefer a convoy of Rovers type of thing so let me know if any of you are interested.

Also I will be making several rest stops to rest and maybe do an oil change so if anybody has a shop or a warm bed for the night or an extra helping hand in the event that I break down than that would be so greatly appreciated! Id love to meet alot of your guys on here.

I look forward to the experience of a lifetime and I hope I make some new friends. Once I get to Anchorage Alaska Ill be stopping by Far North Rovers to say hello and get a second oil change

Keep me posted and Ill keep everyone on here posted as well about the progress on my truck and the trip.

Julian

Name:  crosscountry1_zpsd2721713.png
Views: 225
Size:  634.3 KB

Name:  crosscountry2_zps0b9de963.png
Views: 237
Size:  771.6 KB

Last edited by TRIARII; 09-15-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've always wanted to drive to Alaska!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
I've always wanted to drive to Alaska!

Same here and looking at google pictures of British Columbia, its gonna be a beautiful TreK. You interested in joining?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

84 hours of driving? That's a week of 12 hour days. It depends on if I have that much vacation time available, and if I have something reliable to drive at the time.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Don't forget to get your passport.

For help along the way, Birmabright Brotherhood - Rover Broke? Call a Bloke!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Don't forget to get your passport.

For help along the way, Birmabright Brotherhood - Rover Broke? Call a Bloke!
I signed up for Birmabright Brotherhood not to long ago and am waiting for admin to approve. Wish they still have the brass badge in stock cause id love to buy one of these along with the stickers. I already have a full book passport

Old 09-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds epic!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

You mean this badge?

Name:  IMAG0488-1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  44.8 KB

Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
You mean this badge?
No. This one:

Attached Thumbnails Cross Country Road Trip in April; anyone want to tag along?-image-3169027998.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Also, I've noticed that sometimes they will approve your account and never tell you. So go try logging in sometime and maybe it will work.

Quick Reply: Cross Country Road Trip in April; anyone want to tag along?