ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Land Rover ranked as least reliable auto manufacturer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover ranked as least reliable auto manufacturer.

As the owner of a 2002 Freelander which I traded in for a 2003 Discovery I can tell everyone to take seriously the ratings given by both JD Power & Associates and Consumer Reports magazine (among others). In 2008 JD Power & Associates reviewed 38 auto manufacturers and Land Rover placed right at the bottom for the reliability of all their vehicles. In 2008 Consumer Reports magazine ranks Land Rover vehicles as "much worse than average" for reliability but also displays in graph form how much worse than average Land Rover vehicles actually are. When compared among 48 other midsize SUV's, the Range Rover, LR3 and Range Rover Sport all ranked between -129% to -195% in reliability (a score of zero is perfectly average reliability, with 22 other mid size SUV's scoring above average). Again Land Rover is dead last for reliability. For the premium price paid for these vehicles you can expect Land Rover to only issue recalls when forced to do so by the government and you will spend lots of time, hassle and money on frequent repairs. Be warned! Look very carefully at the data out there in the press, Land Rovers are expensive pieces of junk.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Land Rover ranked as least reliable auto manufacturer.

Aw, cry more.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Mudding

You must not take the rateings to seriously, you have owned 2 LAND ROVERS!
Love it or leave it!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm kind of under the impression that that's a bunch of crap. The problem is that a lot of people buy a Rover without knowing how to take care of it. Myself included. Although I didn't actually buy my Disco. My father bought it for himself, didn't know anything about it, and let it sit for 3 years. When I got my license 2 years ago he gave it to me. And there was plenty wrong with it because he didn't know how to properly maintain it, which is what a lot of people do. Now that I know what to do with my truck it's actually extremely reliable. More so than even some of my friends' cars which are all brand new Mitsubishi's, and Dodge's.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all any of that means is that when it comes down to it, we'll all just be better with a wrench than the more "dependable" vehicle owners...
________
Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the jeep cherokee is more reliable than my land rover why is it that my rover is the one pulling them out when they get stuck?
and when I am pulling their inferior performing vehicles out of the slop my butt is cozy warm in its heated leather seat.
of course my heated seats are currently on the fritz and dont work right now but im learning about the electicial system while i trouble shoot.
ok, they may be more reliable than my beloved disco but they are nowhere near as cool or as capable.

my $0.02

Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Like any other British vehicle, you have to stay on top of the maintenance. My '01 Disco has NEVER left me stranded because I've taken proper care of it. Rovers have these poor ratings because uniformed buyers think they can neglect them like a throw-away Ford or Chevy.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 PM
5th Gear

I AMDRIVING MY 3d LAND ROVER. FIRST BOUGHT A 2000 DISCO II WITH 15000 MILES , THEN A NEW 2005 RANGE ROVER AND A NEW 2004 DISCO HSE7 THE SAME YEAR. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS BUT EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN AT THE DEALERSHIP. +$ 600.00 BREAKS , ETC. NOBODY FROM JD POWERS CALLED ME FOR AN OPINION. I RESPOND TO MOST CONSUMER REPORTS SURVEYS ,BUT LATELY LEXUS IS GETTING ALL THE AWARDS (FOR "BLANDNESS").

Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Best tip for any Rover owner: find a good independent Rover mechanic. Stay away from the dealer. I use and highly recommend PDXRovers in Portland, OR. They do everything the dealer does at (sometimes) half the price while maintaining your warranty.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling

My 97 D1 has been pretty reliable over my 4 years with it but I can only wish it was as reliable as my 3 "throw away" Ford Explorers were over 17 years of owning them. I still have my 98 2-door Explorer with 140,000 miles and it is the most reliable,best vehicle I have ever owned and I offroaded it hard before I got my D1. Other than basic maintanance I have spent little on it. My other 2 Explorers had a total of 185,00 miles on them and were offroaded hard and were very reliable. None were great offroad trucks but I beat them hard and they took it. Spent little on them other than basic maintanance. I love my D1 and it is incredible offroad but for dependibility and toughness, my "throw away Fords"were and areway better than my LR. I have never owned a Chevy but Fords are definitely not "throw away" trucks.

Quick Reply: Land Rover ranked as least reliable auto manufacturer.