ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

runaway rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by safarisam
Antichrist notice I said rover v8 and oil cooler lines have been a huge cause of engine fires with American bound v8 defenders
I was addressing your statement that is was a problem with the oil cooler lines.
I've added your quote to my reply so it's more clear for people.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
so its running? And why are they letting it?
The only things a diesel needs to run is air and a combustible "fuel", like motor oil, kerosene, etc.
So once it starts sucking in its own crankcase oil shutting off the igintion will NOT shut off the engine.
All that will do is kill the electrical circuits and the fuel pump if it is electric.
But it will continue to run, and it will run at whichever RPM the fuel and air supply allow.
The reason they smoke like that so bad is that you cannot flood out a diesel engine like you can on a gas engine, to much fuel and the spark plugs cannot ignition the fuel and it stalls out.
Diesels dont have spark plugs, they combust fuel on engine compression alone.
Run a diesel to rich and it just smokes, ever see a semi pouring black smoke out its exhaust? Its using more fuel than it can combust properly.
Typically they do that when working really hard or the air filter is clogged or the turbo bearings went out and engine oil is getting into the combustion chambers.
Bottom line, a diesel engine will run on anything that is combustible and does not need electricity to run, just fuel and air.
On old diesels there was a fuel cut off **** that you pulled to shut them off, stop the fuel supply and the engine would stall, then you had to remember to turn off the ignition so the battery did not go dead.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:04 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by safarisam
What? Do you want a full explanation of the oil flow in a rover v8?
who said anything about a v8? I was asking about the oil lines on a 200tdi. It is obvious you didn't know the answer to my question, but instead of keeping quite and waiting for somebody to answer you try to make me look stupid?

antichrist, sucking in oil from a blown turbo makes sense...that is probably what is going on the video. thanks.

spikes post made me think of another question..are 200/300tdi's true diesels or do they have glow plugs?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
spikes post made me think of another question..are 200/300tdi's true diesels or do they have glow plugs?
What do you mean "true diesels"?
They are both diesels, they both use glow plugs.

My Perkins 4.203 has a different cold start, a heating element in the inlet manifold that is fed diesel at start-up and ignites a flame in the inlet to heat the combustion chambers.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Almost all modern diesels have glow plugs, and they still have nothing to do with the engine running.
All they are basically is heating coils, like in a toaster, all the do is heat the air inside the combustion chamber so that when you start the engine while cold the fuel compresses and then ignites.
Without them it is hard to start a diesel in the cold, it can be done, you just have to crank it over longer, once the friction heats the combustion chamber the fuel ignites.
Then the engine spits and sputters until it is warm enough to run smoothly.
Look up diesel cold start videos on youtube, I like the chugging and smoking and the smell of the raw unburnt diesel in the bitter cold.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 PM
TReK

any diesel is a diesel to me but if you go in a truck stop asking about glow plugs you're likely to get laughed out of there. Most big rig engines are designed to use very high compression ratios only to create combustion. Glow plugs are high maintenance but come in handy on smaller diesel engines that are designed to stop and re-start often.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Baja

There have been a number of different methods for starting diesels over the years. Glow plugs, Lucas Thermostart (like my Perkins), metered ether, heating grids (similar to Thermostart), pup engine, dual fuel (gasoline for starting, diesel for running) on Internationals.
Most these days use either glow plugs or heating grids. Ether is still used some as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Team Owner

any diesel is a diesel to me but if you go in a truck stop asking about glow plugs you're likely to get laughed out of there. Most big rig engines are designed to use very high compression ratios only to create combustion. Glow plugs are high maintenance but come in handy on smaller diesel engines that are designed to stop and re-start often.
Correct, most big bore diesels do not have glow plugs, they have a intake heater like AntiChrist said, it is a electric heater that heats the air inside the air intake, crank the engine over and it sucks in the warmer air and starts, on these engine types you CANNOT use ether, if you do it will blow up.
Once that ether hits the heating grid BOOM!
You just need to crank the engine over for 20 sec, stop and wait 20 sec and then repeat until either the battery's are dead or it starts.
This is why they all have block heaters.
There were times when we would let our trucks run for a month, usually Feb when it is the coldest.
You get back from your route, get fuel and then park your truck, set the throttle lock to 1000 rpm and leave it.
When it got put into the loading dock, left it running, parked in the staging area, left it running, out on the route, left it running.
You always carried a bottle of anti gel with you too as well as a extra fuel filter and fuel filter wrench so if you gelled up while driving you could change the fuel filter and pour in the bottle of anti gel into the fuel.
Even though they have tank heaters, the fuel still gets cold going from the tank to the engine and the filter is a great place for it to gel because of all of the small holes in the filter.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the old Detroit desiels were bad for running away like that. They would keep running until you ran out of fuel or oil. Any way you look at it the motor was usually a paper weight after it happend. Best thing to do in a situation like that is hope you have a manual trans put in gear and stall it out.

I know I like getting the guys with diesel pickups fired up by saying that real diesels dont have glow plugs (that really fires up the powerjoke guys) my rig doesnt have them and doesnt need them its high enough compression itll usually start up rite away but itll lope,fart,an carry on untill it gets high enough temp in the combustion chamber to properly burn the fuel. But like Spike says i'll leave my truck running for days and weeks on end if its really cold out (it burns 1 gallon an hour idleing) i also have fuel heaters on mine but they only work when the truck is running. Trust me its no fun trying to thaw out 300 gallons of diesel thats gelled up.

Last edited by Long Haul; 12-31-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
TReK

right after I made my last post I thought to myself 'we need to get long haul over here, he can settle this' lol. It's my understanding that most big rig engines do not have intake heaters either, but I'm not certain on that point..was just certain they do not have glow plugs.

long haul, does yours have a intake heater?

Quick Reply: runaway rover