ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Tow rope recommendation?

Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tow rope recommendation?

I recently moved back into the hills and expect to see a lot of my neighbors stuck when it snows. Been a flat lander for a while and my old tow rope went with the classic Range Rover.

Any suggestions for one you guys like?

Short story: About 10 years ago I lived at the bottom of short but steep hill in Portland. It snowed about a foot, and then we got freezing rain over that. Very unpleasant. After a couple of days the ice had thinned down and people started trying to get out. Ford Explorers, Jeeps, Tahoes and Suburbans - you name it, they all just spun their wheels. Most of them spun one wheel.

After watching this for half a day I put two chains on the Rangie, put it into low, and just went right up the hill. Neighbors were at the windows, mouths agape. I made a few grocery store trips with them for a couple of days.

Last edited by RipD; 10-26-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

link to ****** strap:Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

and a couple soft shackles they are the featured product here Lucky8 LLC

Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
link to ****** strap:Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

and a couple soft shackles they are the featured product here Lucky8 LLC
Very helpful. Thanks much. And I obviously want a recovery strap, not a tow strap. Been away from this stuff for too long.

Edit: getting an extra receiver hitch D ring as well. So I'll be ready to get pulled out if any of you see me stuck.

Still trying to decide on keeping my '03 Disco or doing something else. This place makes me want to keep it and add another one.

Last edited by RipD; 10-26-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Be careful, once you take in more than one land rover they multiply faster and faster.....

Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a knockoff bubba rope i got from amazon. they aren't for sale there anymore, but they are on ebay. it was ~$80 for a 7/8" 25' rope. rated to 30k.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obviously want a recovery strap, not a tow strap. Been away from this stuff for too long. Edit: getting an extra receiver hitch D ring as well. So I'll be ready to get pulled out if any of you see me stuck. >????

Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Aliraza47
I obviously want a recovery strap, not a tow strap. Been away from this stuff for too long. Edit: getting an extra receiver hitch D ring as well. So I'll be ready to get pulled out if any of you see me stuck. >????
I have both a recovery rope(kinetic rope/****** strap) and a tow strap. I started with just the tow strap. The tow strap almost never gets used anymore since I got the kinetic rope. I still keep it in my truck though for a couple reasons.
1) If I actually need to tow someone I'd rather use a $30-50 tow strap than my $100+ kinetic rope.
2) The tow strap is still very versatile. You can use it as a tree strap. You can wrap it around a rock to use as a winch point. You can use it as a winchline extension.

So IMO, a proper recovery kit will include both a tow strap and kinetic rope.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

After a lot of looking around, I got 2 Smittybilt 3/4 shackles and a 2 x 30 recovery strap off Amazon. total cost $59.23

Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Strongly recommend and arb ****** strap. Shredded one pulling out a tree from my buddies yard...don't ask...but arb sent me a new one. The old one was only an inch wide for about ten feet of it and I still used it like 30 times before it broke

Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

My 'tow rope (strap)' has hooks on each end and the local off road club won't let it be used as a recovery or tow strap. they don't like the hooks I guess. but I did bet a new 'recovery strap rated at 30K and a pair of shackles also rated at close to 20K, plus a reciever "D ring" for the back end. Hopefully I won't need to use any of them. Used the tow strap (with the hooks) to get my D1 home when I was having the fuel pump issues. Much easier and cleaner than using the old 'log chain' I grew up with.

This is the heavy-est truck I have ever owned and the thought of getting stuck makes me nervous. my 'stuck bag' will most likely be getting bigger as I find new goodies for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow rope recommendation?