Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Freelanders.

Check out this D2 overland build!

Old 03-06-2016, 12:37 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Old 03-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Great double bed for......

Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by number9

Randy Newman - Short People - YouTube

Hahaha hahahahaha!

That is a pretty cool setup.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by number9

Randy Newman - Short People - YouTube

That guy looks full figured to me I like when he says "got me bottle opener for me beers, i like this, bottle opener for me beers" bahaha

Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
That guy looks full figured to me I like when he says "got me bottle opener for me beers, i like this, bottle opener for me beers" bahaha
He may be double wide but 3/4 long. Hard to tell. I'm 5'11" and had to sleep in my rover one night, and it seems like I had to bend my knees.

If memory serves you are in Alaska... If so, this is a mandatory setup (with the addition of bear repellant).

Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I think he really wants a defender.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Are those manual controls for the HVAC? I didn't know that was a thing in a D2.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I like sleeping in the car simply because it's quicker and easier to setup than a tent. I don't do it because I have a family and car seats etc. So we'll not all fit. But Gunther Holtorf did a world tour sleeping in the back of his G-wagen which is shorter than a D1. (He also used hammocks in hot climates).

Sleeping in the car is not safer from animals than sleeping in a closed tent. I've slept in bear country, and a bear will peel a car right open for a huckleberry pie like it was opening a box. I've never been disturbed while sleeping in a ground tent as long as it was closed and I didn't have any food in it. Andrew St. Pierre White has extensive experience all over southern Africa for decades with a variety of ground, and roof-top tents as well as campers (has videos on Youtube sleeping with lions outside), and he dismissed the idea that roof top tents were safer from animals. He feels safe as long as the tent is closed, and when open is mainly concerned about hyena. So for me, the advantage to sleeping inside is the convenience of setup provided I don't have to unload a lot before the bed is ready, and of course provided it fits everyone. There may be an advantage in cold climates, but again it is mostly convenience since a warm enough bag, pad, and bivvy sack will sleep outside just fine.

Here is another overland build:

Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's another one with a RTT. I think the setup is too slow for overnighting. It might be fine if you camp in the same place for several days.

Also, I see a lot of drawer systems on "overlanders." The drawers are convenient but don't seem space efficient. A shelf (or the top above the drawers) allows you to stack things in the cargo space while being able to pull things from the bottom of the stack without having to unload the things on top. Adding slides takes up more space though, and rectangular drawers leave unused space around the wheel wells, and in the wedge behind the seat back (if you're using the rear seats). Soft bags pack more space efficiently, and they're better at preventing items rattling in the empty space of a box or drawer.

I don't use a shelf in my Rover because I use the cargo space for a large dog - too large to lift him off the floor significantly.

I did just add a Pelican case to store all my hard items (bottle jack, socket set, wrench roll, hi-lift, hammer, shackles, ****** block, etc.). Before I had some of them in a tool bag, and others in various cases. It's important to stow this kind of stuff so that it won't go flying in a sudden stop or minor collision. The hard case is more secure than a bag for those very heavy items, and I have strapped it securely in the cargo space.

The Discovery has been criticized for being very inefficient and lacking in cargo space (compared to a Defender or 70 series Land Cruiser). I do find it lacking space when I have it loaded with four people and a large dog, but I make it work. Obviously light and bulky items like sleeping bags, pads, pillows and so on have to go on the roof rack. But when you have all the space for one person and their gear, there's a lot of flexibility to make things convenient. But it takes plenty of experience to know whether you want sleeping space, a refrigerator, a sink, seats, radio gear, tools, or what. Right now, I like having seats. I've seated seven people and a big dog in my D1 on several occasions. It's not ideal, but better than someone missing the trip. I do not want a sink. I have no use for that at all.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gears in the noggin are turning!!!!