Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Talk about your suspension within.

Lets talk axles,and not breaking them

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets talk axles,and not breaking them

I just picked up a 1997 D1, SD trim? i think.

IM setting it up as a expediton type rig. It will weigh somewhere around 5500-6500 lbs, have a 700lb diesel over the front axle, and 33-35" tires with lockers.

Theres obviously more to it, but for the purpose of this discussion, ill stick to the basics.

So, I know nearly nothing of rovers, but Ive personally built several capable vehicles, and am no stranger to custom fab/ mechanical work.

my experience with rovers is limited to a friend with a 92 RRC that would destroy differentials every time he took it offroad. not a exaggeration. he destroyed at least one diff every trip. 31" tires IIRC.

so far Ive put a fuel pump and a couple marker lamp housings into my D1, and im pleasantly surprised how logical it all is.

thats the extent of my experience with these.

I really like the idea of retaining the LT230 case.
I love the idea of retaining the rover suspension design.
the motor is going away, no way thats staying.

SO what i want to know from you experts, is

how reliable is this automatic trans? any body know the input power ratings? is it electronically controlled or TV cable?

whats the story on the driveshafts? good parts or no?

What should I expect from the stock axle assemblies? will they handle 31" tires?

Someone in the know told me they could be built for about the same cost as other axles, yielding diffs that could easily handle 33" tires. What parts does a well built rover axle have?

are we talking aftermarket, or stock parts from other models?

Looking forward to hearing feedback!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The zf4hp22 transmission in the d1 is rated for about 350nm of input, which is about only 250 lb-ft of torque. I've seen some reference to 380nm, but they might have been talking about the R380 5 speed manual, which is rated for 380, hence the name.

The zf4hp22 is also completely hydraulically controlled, so it has a TV cable. The zf4hp22e in the d2 is electronically controlled.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Wheeling a heavily-laden Rover on big tires without breakage is a spendy proposition. A well-built Rover axle will consist of a heavy-duty ring and pinion gear set, an aftermarket carrier/locker, 4340 half-shafts and CV joints, drive-flanges, new wheel bearings and seals. The parts for the front axle add up to about $3000 if you assemble and set everything up yourself. The rear, minus the CV's is less.

Most people aren't willing to spend that kind of money on a vehicle that isn't worth more than just one of those axles. If they have to have someone else setup the gears and install the carrier bearings and everything, they will be looking at tripling their investment in the Rover with virtually no added value at resale because the upgrades are invisible, not even detectable by most people, and buyers are clueless.

Of course, people that wheel do these upgrades, and they pay because the alternative is breaking axles and diffs. But most people just put some heavy springs on there so they can fit some tires that look good and they don't really wheel it. They're fine. Others just break axles and replace them when they do, because a broken half-shaft costs like $100 and the rear at least changes out in like 15 minutes. A lot of people that wheel just carry spares.

There's a few people that have the money to build a hardcore rig and wheel it, and that are willing to do it to a Rover instead of a JK, a buggy or an ultra-4 car or something. They usually don't weigh 6500#, but for sure they don't use 33's or Rover axles. There's swaps to HZJ80, Salisburies, Spidertrax, Force 9, or mogs. If you search, you'll see them all.

But for most people the Rover is a somewhat inexpensive 4x4 due to the massive depreciation that resulted from it not meeting the original buyer's expectations. For the average consumer they're nightmares. For an amateur wrench, they make nice projects. Personally, I think they cost a lot more than what most people have in mind, but they can be real nice for about half as much as a built-up JK. Still, they are what they are, and they're not bulletproof.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If the RRC was breaking stuff on 31" tires something was wrong. Defenders have the same axles and come with 32" tires and they don't break things every time they go out. The RRC probably does have a little more weight over the rear, but thats about all that would make it harder on the parts.

I'd think ashcroft or GBR rear shafts and a locker would be a somewhat cheap place to start. If you start breaking stuff in the front, I think lucky 8 started selling rovertracks kits again, for quite a bit less than the ashcroft stuff was going for.

Last edited by jafir; 10-18-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I honestly wouldn't bother with lockers (or anything larger than 32's, maybe 33's) for an true expedition Discovery. The expense isn't worth the gain.
Use a 4-pin center and peg the diffs and you should be fine. Also an HD cross in the center diff.

Now if you mean for off-roading then that's different
If you go with lockers and tires that large you'll want to upgrade the axles and there isn't anything, other than Salisbury's (which are expensive), from another Rover that will help as for all intents and purposes they are the same across all models that would be a bolt in.

This has been beat to death over the years. I'd spend time looking on Discoweb and/or Pirate, you'll probably find all your answers there without even asking a question.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-18-2013 at 10:58 AM.