Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Talk about your suspension within.

new to land rovers and wanna lift it!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to land rovers and wanna lift it!!!!!

whats up guys. im new to land rovers bought my first on last night. Its a 1995 disco 1. been a ford and chevy 4x4 guy ever since i could drive. still have a 89 bronco full size thats a off road toy but wanted something else too. so now here i am with a 95 disco. i am wanting to do a 2-3" lift and want to know some options

thanks for the help
robert

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to land rover ownership.
There are at least a dozen forums either entirely land rover oriented, or large Rover presence, and they all have threads devoted to lifts.
You might want to drive it a while before dumping a lot of money for optional parts. You may decide you don't like it and sell it on.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time. Drive it a bit first. Check it out, go out and play with it for a little while, find out what it can really do. Then see where you want to go and how much the truck needs.

I went with a 2" Old Man Emu kit for mine and I couldn't be happier. Total this kit would run you around $800 without tires. You'd be awfully surprised what a 2" lifted Disco can do.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

May I suggest that before getting too far ahead of your self that you go to the D1 section, click on the sticky and read/do the major service well needed by am 18 year old Disco.
What sort of wheeling are you planning on doing that you need a 3" lift? What sorts of other mods are you planning on?
I would suggest that afte you do the major, you drive it for many months so you can find out your trucks long and short coming, get used to it off road, then start looking at lifts, tires and all the drive train stuff needed.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Rock Crawling

I bought my D1 and lifted it two weeks later with a 50 dollar used OME 2 inch lift. Then, that wasn't even close enough so I found a great deal on a 4.5 inch lift off another Land Rover model. No regrets. but, with that being said, if I paid the 800 for a new lift, I would seriously be regretting it. Make sure you follow Disco Mikes advice about sorting everything before you start spending all that money on a barley anything lift. In my personal opinion, (Remember, this doesnt mean **** coming from me) a 2 inch lift isnt worth all that money, but, to each his own. There are a lot of great deals to be had on used suspension to "test the waters" if you keep up on looking for them here on the forums, and even sometimes on craigslist. Another option you have to "test the waters" is to go to a machine shop and have them make you some 2 inch spacers. They are quick, easy and cheap, to see if you are going to like it lifted. I think the general consensus is to not permanently use these, but hey, if your only after the look and not the performance, then why not?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Mudding

thanks for the input guys! I am assuming the 2" spacers you are referring to are just some blocks that either go on top or bottom of the springs? I have 1500 acres of private land in dawsonville ga that i do most of my wheeling on. its got nasty ruts and a bunch of river crossings. so this disco will spend a bunch of time flexed out and doing river crossings that is why i wanted to do a little lift. not so much the river that im worried about its the ruts.

Im really excited about this disco seems to be close to perfect and runs great. Going wheelin tomorrow to run it through the paces and see what shes got. Hope it can hang with my bronco.

thanks for the help guys!!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You do not want to throw a set of 2" spacers on top of those old springs. Top of the line suspension are made by Old Man Emu or RTE and Iron Man, past that there is the Terra Firma and many other lesser priced lift.
How good.strong a lift do you want, what size tires will you be running?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You do not want to throw a set of 2" spacers on top of those old springs. Top of the line suspension are made by Old Man Emu or RTE and Iron Man, past that there is the Terra Firma and many other lesser priced lift.
How good.strong a lift do you want, what size tires will you be running?

Why not? Its been recommended many times to people with sagging springs to just throw some spacers underneath them. And, just to see if you like the lift, its a lot better then buying a top of the line lift, and paying **** tons of money for it, and a lot better then buying a lesser priced lift and having a double whammy of not having the lift you want, and it being a lesser lift. Theres no point in paying a **** ton of money for something that your not even sure you want, which it doesn't sound like he is really sure of what he wants yet. A two inch lift isnt going to help much in deep ruts. Your going to want to go taller, so you can throw some bigger tires under it. You can also consider a body lift to get the clearance for the tires.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all the input guys. Guess im going with the 3" bigger shocks and springs. I did some heavy wheelin this weekend and this land rover is awsome. I have a 4" lifted bronco on 33's and the disco did better with half the effort!!!!!! I am hooked on these rovers now. If i knew what i was missing having a rover to 4 wheel with i would have had one long ago.

Anyway back to the lift. Is it correct that i can go 3" and only have to change my springs and shock?

thanks for all the input
robert

Quick Reply: new to land rovers and wanna lift it!!!!!