Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 P300 110S - Initial ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts
Default 2020 P300 110S - Initial ownership impressions

Yesterday, I picked up my new 2020 110 S P300 with towing package, off-road package, fog lights, sliding roof, rearview camera mirror, 12 way heated seats and 18" wheels.

I drove it for 40 miles home and running errands. Here are my first live impressions:

1) The entry height is markedly more than on my LR4. Interesting and logical -- a surprise nonetheless.

2) The black WeatherTech front mats fit perfectly and looked entirely original. The JLR purchased plastic tray in the cargo compartment is useful -- happy I bought it, but not for its looks or value. I would have preferred the rubber one, but the dealer could not obtain it.

3) For the first time, versus my 19" stock LR4, my personal backend did not tighten imagining being off road, going over a rock with the tires' sidewalls.
I am smitten by the 18" wheels and tires -- German made Goodyears, 2756 Lbs max load, 50 psi max, Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure 255/70 R18 116H LR. Wow, are they quiet for an A/T tire. They may louden over time, and we will see how well they actually do in mud every day -- but it is a good first day. Maybe the second set will be Duratrac -- we will see.

4) I found a 2nd marked difference between the LR4 and the Defender -- the Defender is markedly more tightly sprung. Going over concrete patches on the interstate every ridge was in my backside -- not rudely so, but much more than the LR4. Again logical given the aluminum monocoque design -- but a surprise.

5) Thank goodness for the button which turns the temp. control into an off-road settings ****. Used it three times going home -- and I did not need to touch the screen. That's a winner.

6) The P300 is as expected (having owned and driven an Evoque). I am older and past the days of Vroom vroom driving, so I am fine with the stately, quiet acceleration. So, I am ok. But others may want to consider a P400 (or wait for the V8 if you really want to go-go). I will report on towing as soon as my setup is ready.

7) Just a note to those reading other threads: My window tag has dropped the five words relating to torque vectoring -- it now only states "Electronic Active Differential". So, I don't know if I have the vectoring logic or not. I am fine either way, as my apex seeking days are past. However, solely for knowing and letting you know, I will probably try one fast corner entry and see how much nose diving occurs. I will let you know then.

My next step is to read the manual and figure out what else is involved with the new Defender -- will update as we go. Let me know if you have questions I can help with.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 09-26-2020 at 12:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
ADVAW8S (09-29-2020), angelboing (09-26-2020), Tucker Woods (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Regarding 1, you can set the car to automatically lower to access height when you park in the settings, which will make entry / exit height about the same - if feels a tad lower to me - than the LR4. The suspensions adjust up and down so quickly in the Defender (I can't even hear the compressor running, it's really well insulated) that if you blink, you'll miss the adjustment. It's a nice convenience for shorter legged mammals, kids, etc.

Regarding 7, torque vectoring by braking is a feature built into the optional electronic "active" rear differential, so if you ordered the off-road pack you have torque vectoring by braking.

Last edited by umbertob; 09-26-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I went off road yesterday for a short bit to understand more the active rear differential. It is, I think, what I expected, which is the ACTIVE DRIVELINE clutch technology used on the 2016 Evoque and other Audi and LR cars, coupled with the same type of differential in the center, linking front and rear.

The two worked together, beautifully. I can feel the evenness of the torque being applied on the gravel and hills, yesterday. Very little yaw is being generated.

In a turn, the rear diff completely unlocks, as expected. Otherwise the two clutches in the rear diff are maintaining traction to the degree it is available, as power is shifted from front to rear and back again by the two center clutches -- all happening simultaneously. The result is a more fluid off-road drive than on either the Evoque or the LR4. At least this is what the seat of my pants is guessing to be happening.

I will go into the mountains this weekend to delve a bit deeper into the capabilities. At some point out in the future, once I understand enough, I will start to experiment with the customization setup.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 09-28-2020 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Ryu2021 (03-07-2021)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats @TrioLRowner any pictures you can post i'm patiently awaiting delivery in Feb 2021 with a similar build.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats! Thanks for the initial thoughts.

Hows that engine perform? I know you said it's not a racer, but does it feel underpowered? Turbo lag? I read a review mentioning the lag not seeming as bad as it is on the Evoque so I was curious.

Doesn't matter really, I've already placed an order, but I'm still anxious over choosing the smaller engine...

Old 09-28-2020, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

vtrfung:

two photos:

tached.

The following 4 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
DonMitsu (09-28-2020), Ryu2021 (03-07-2021), Troyan2019 (10-30-2020), Tucker Woods (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Nick4:

So far, I am calling the acceleration stately. Certainly, I don't have any concern of the RPMs getting away from me. The transmission shifting is very smooth and the ride, steering and braking are taut and responsive for the size of the vehicle. I took it on a twisty road -- it's a big, wide, tall, sweeping ride -- not a sports car surely.

The gear changes are very well mapped. Does not hunt for the correct gear (which is a risk in a 4 cylinder). Does not show correct gear fear in climbing a hill.

The owner's manual limits me from pressing the throttle fully down until I pass 1000 miles. I will stomp on it after I reach that milestone and let you know.

Sorry, I did not answer your turbo lag question earlier -- my edited comment is that the turbo lag in stately driving mode is zero. The engine drives as though it is normally aspirated. I will comment more, once I can press the throttle to the floor.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 09-28-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot to answer a question
angelboing (10-03-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Much more info than I could have hoped for, thank you so much. Feeling less anxious for sure. I am well passed wanting to race around as well, just want to make sure I have enough power for how steep some of the off-roading is in Colorado. Hell, even some of the on-roading is steep!

And that is an absolute gorgeous car! The color looks so much better in real photos. Congrats

Tucker Woods (09-28-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just completed (along with my wife and two small dogs) several hundred miles of highway and mountainous, twisty and climbing road driving and have nothing but positive things to say about the P300. I did not stomp on the gas, as I am still in the break-in period.

The most striking part of the drive train is the transmission. It is very smooth, quiet, shifts quickly, never "hunts" for the correct gear on hills -- up or down.

The engine continues to show no turbo lag and is well-matched to the transmission. The power curve is really quite flat (especially for a petrol engine).

I tested the car on corners, in and out, and confirm that my 2020 110 S with locking rear diff. definitely has what my 2016 Evoque does -- brake vectoring (keeps the car level in corners under braking -- seats the rear of the car to keep the front from diving) and differential clutch torque vectoring (does not show understeer or oversteer).

We took a detour into the mountains to see if the car had sufficient ummph for hills. It worked fine. Very presentable. Had no trouble.

We also took the vehicle on three hours of low to mid- challenging off-road trails with other Land Rovers. It performed exactly as I expected -- an extremely effective mix of the LR4 GEN technology (LO Range, Air suspension) and the Evoque GEN Technology (electronic clutches in center and rear diffs); a more effective control logic than in either; and 18 inch wheels with enough AT sidewall that I could comfortably and effectively air down the tires without worry.

The traction of the GY wrangler AT adventures was excellent and the road noise at speed is really much more quiet than I expected. The engine and transmission were very effective and did not give any concern.

A good experience so far ...

Enjoy !

The following 3 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
angelboing (10-03-2020), Ryu2021 (03-07-2021), Tucker Woods (10-04-2020)