Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   2020 Defender (https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/)
-   -   Advice needed for Rim offset (https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/advice-needed-rim-offset-110664/)

RR2Dfndr 02-12-2022 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmings4Life (Post 813277)
Just ran the numbers through the link you suggested. Seems pretty damn close to existing wheels from what I can tell?

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=30mm&sr=0mm

That set up will should be fine. No rubbing predicted.

RR2Dfndr 02-12-2022 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nanozic (Post 813292)
From what I can tell, a factory 8.5in wheel, with 30mm spacers as compared to a 9.5in wide wheel with an offset of +20 are very similar in terms of how much the outer face of the wheel pokes. So, the Vossen's would poke about 4mm more than the factory wheels with a 30mm spacer. And 4mm is not too significant. Though, we are talking about putting on a wider tire we as well, so you have to take that into account.

I have 275/55-20 XL (not LT) Baja Bosses on the way. From my research, XL versions tend to run a little smaller than the same size designated LT version. I am pretty confident it will work, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Worse case, I'll add the lift rods if there is any rubbing on the fender liner.

Also, my guess is the reason why Vossen stocks the 9.5 at et20 is because it has the deeper profile, which tends to be more popular. I think the 20x9 they also keep in stock, at et35 (but don't quote me) though that will have a flatter profile. I suspect for the 9.5 at et20 wheels, a person who isn't running supper aggressive A/T tires won't really have any problem at all. So, like Terra Grapplers or Cooper AT3's.

I have 31.75mm spacers on mine (stock 20" rims) and it rubs when I turn in access height. So 4mm is very significant. It'll be like having 34mm spacers which will definitely rub on turning (in access height).
I hope to get some responses from people who actually tested it with the setup, before I spend more than $4000 on new wheels and tires.

Nanozic 02-13-2022 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by RR2Dfndr (Post 813306)
I have 31.75mm spacers on mine (stock 20" rims) and it rubs when I turn in access height. So 4mm is very significant. It'll be like having 34mm spacers which will definitely rub on turning (in access height).
I hope to get some responses from people who actually tested it with the setup, before I spend more than $4000 on new wheels and tires.

I guess we have a different perspective on what would be considered 'significant' when running aggressive offsets. And if you are talking about only in access height, then to be fair to you, my tolerance for some light rubbing in access mode may be higher than yours. When I ordered the wheels Vossen told us to run 285's. Now, I thought that was too big, but my shop works with Vossen all the time and they told me their rep "has never been wrong before" so I went with it... surprise, surprise, with no-lift, and without modifying the front fender liner, they would rub whether in access mode or normal height. We called them on the spot, and he apologized and basically said for normal all-season season tires, that's what they run. I have a suspicion he might have been confused with the 22x10.5 version which definitely runs a 285 tire but that is beside the point.

I did fit the wheels and tires, saw where it wasn't going to work, and decided that a 275 would probably work though like I mentioned before I did get lift rods just in case. So once my new tires arrive, I'll try to remember to report back. If I were to do it over again, I would probably have gone 20x9 et30 with the 275. But Vossen had the 20x9.5's in stock and ready to go and told us that was the size folks are running /shrug.

Here is a pic of my firsthand (failure) experience :) They did look really good for the 10mins we had them on the car though.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...38f9c42b1.jpeg
285/55-20 on 20x9.5 et20. Rubbed on intercooler vents in fender liner

RR2Dfndr 02-13-2022 01:57 PM

Nanozic, thanks for sharing your experience. So you ordered the 275/55/20 tires? I would love to hear your experience after you get the new tires.

Ehloo 02-13-2022 02:08 PM

wheel specs are important but it’s the combo of what exact tire and size your running.

i have never seen a 285/55/20 work. Most go with a 275/60/20 which in most cases causes issues and need larger lifts.

the goal is normally more sidewall not wider tire.

the most common AT tires are BFG K02 and Nitto Ridge Grapplers. if you are not planning to run more than a 1 inch lift you should stick with the 275/55/20

if i stick with my 20 inch wheels i am going to try a 275/60/20 and run a 1.5 or maybe 2 inch lift. from others it seems to work

TIE1ONALWAYS 02-14-2022 05:32 PM

thoughts on 285x45x22 on 22"x9" factory wheels or...???

All - I could spend hours reading thru the replies as the passion is very catchy here! and with all the comments I have probably changed my mind more than a few times of what I want my defender 2021 X110 dynamic to look like. it is a work in progress - some decisions I made - worked out - others ... maybe not so. but - here is what I am tossing around in my brain now... I feel the stock 275x45x22 continentals look way to skinny for the truck. they are on the factory black 5 spoke 22x9 rims. how can I get a wider tire to work? I think 285's will fit the 9" rim - but even 285's are only 1/2" inch wider - maybe not worth it? maybe I need to go to a wide rim and adjust offset? (I hear people speaking of Vossen alot- and looked at the S17-01(3 piece) but wanted them custom painted either satin or gloss black - but only the nuts on the inner lip painted Land Rover green to match the calipers and tow hooks and badging. BUT.... if i will run into a NO FIT situation - I would hate to spend all the cash only to sell them on ebay. Maybe I should be ashamed but I do not plan on off roading with this truck - unless drinking too much. :) I know the truck is built for the elements but maybe the next owner could take it thru the paces. I am an old guy that likes cool looking trucks. . any thoughts or advice on how deep pandoras box is on taking this approach? sure appreciate talking me off the cliff. :)

anotherbillcat 02-14-2022 05:50 PM

At one point I was considering 22x9.5 rims, then I would do 285/45R22. But I tow a lot and get into the mud on our property so sticking with 20's. The 22's would look great though, and 1/2" in my opinion will make a difference to the look when they are on. Just watch the offset of the wheels, stock is 41.5 - 44.5mm so do the math with any other wheel offset. Tire manufactures will have a recommended wheel size for a tire but also give a range for what the size of tire will fit. A good tire shop can also guide you with this. No shame on having a pavement princess that looks cool in my opinion.

Originally Posted by TIE1ONALWAYS (Post 813593)
All - I could spend hours reading thru the replies as the passion is very catchy here! and with all the comments I have probably changed my mind more than a few times of what I want my defender 2021 X110 dynamic to look like. it is a work in progress - some decisions I made - worked out - others ... maybe not so. but - here is what I am tossing around in my brain now... I feel the stock 275x45x22 continentals look way to skinny for the truck. they are on the factory black 5 spoke 22x9 rims. how can I get a wider tire to work? I think 285's will fit the 9" rim - but even 285's are only 1/2" inch wider - maybe not worth it? maybe I need to go to a wide rim and adjust offset? (I hear people speaking of Vossen alot- and looked at the S17-01(3 piece) but wanted them custom painted either satin or gloss black - but only the nuts on the inner lip painted Land Rover green to match the calipers and tow hooks and badging. BUT.... if i will run into a NO FIT situation - I would hate to spend all the cash only to sell them on ebay. Maybe I should be ashamed but I do not plan on off roading with this truck - unless drinking too much. :) I know the truck is built for the elements but maybe the next owner could take it thru the paces. I am an old guy that likes cool looking trucks. . any thoughts or advice on how deep pandoras box is on taking this approach? sure appreciate talking me off the cliff. :)

TIE1ONALWAYS 02-14-2022 07:44 PM

Thanks much A.B.C - I think in my initial research the Continentals (and/or another 1-2 brands) offered the 285's that would fit on a 9" wheel - and could keep my own OEM's. if I went that route - it would save me a bunch. I would only have the cost of the tires. I have a good contact that I can work with and trust & if something isn't right - they won't hold my feet to it. I might try that 1st. I am still addressing the bad "buffering/reverb" situation when driving with pano roof open (I do have the expedition rack). trying to get an aftermarket fix for that so I can enjoy the open sky. as is - forget about it unless you have ear plugs ----AWFUL! I will accept any ideas on that too! From light bars to air deflectors ....

Ehloo 02-14-2022 08:38 PM

the biggest issue with the stock wheels is the offsets. the rear wheels sit way to inward and looks odd and in my opinion cheap.

most get custom forged wheels for the fitment. unless you got money to burn i would go with one of Vossens flow forged wheel sets. they got smart and now doing vehicle specific offsets. much cheaper than their forged offerings.

from my own experience you will lose your shirt when you try to sell them later if you can even unload them.

Originally Posted by TIE1ONALWAYS (Post 813593)

anotherbillcat 02-14-2022 09:51 PM

💯 For the longest time I didn't like Defenders because the inward wheels on the rear looked weird, then I seen a proper set-up... and it was a cool, capable truck. Always impressed with how proper wheels and tires make a vehicle.

Originally Posted by Ehloo (Post 813620)
the biggest issue with the stock wheels is the offsets. the rear wheels sit way to inward and looks odd and in my opinion cheap.

most get custom forged wheels for the fitment. unless you got money to burn i would go with one of Vossens flow forged wheel sets. they got smart and now doing vehicle specific offsets. much cheaper than their forged offerings.

from my own experience you will lose your shirt when you try to sell them later if you can even unload them.