Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender trophy edition thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 06:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Inidie
I got my Trophy Edition today and I couldn't be happier - drives like a dream, I can live with the wrap getting destroyed. I am waiting to hear back on the Asheville experience as the dealer didn't have the entry form in hand but assured me I was within the first 90. Any sort of confirmation I should be expecting from LR?
Congrats!

You will receive an invitation via email from JLRNA with instructions on how to register for the Asheville event.

In regards to the wrap, IMHO, it is part of a $15k line item and something that makes it the "Trophy Edition". I am going to wrap the rig in Expel PPF to protect the wrap as well as other bits. At this price point, there shouldn't be any issues with wrap, but there are a few minor areas I have flagged for the dealer and just waiting to hear back from JLRNA as to an acceptable solution.

Overall, I too love this rig - just a little annoyed about having to seek a remedy for the minor cosmetic issues involving the wrap.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:07 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll also be in Asheville for the competition in October.

My wrap seemed to have a pretty decent install - I’m curious if you could share more about the cosmetic issues you’re seeing? Maybe I should look more carefully.

Also, you can install PPF over a vinyl wrap? I wasn’t sure this was possible but I may try that too.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Do these Defenders come with any type of certificate, documentation or letter that distinguishes them from any other Defender being sold today? Is each one of the 220 numbered?
It really says a lot that Land Rover is only selling 220 units and they couldn't even go the extra mile to have it painted or include the winch. At over $90,000 they should.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DefenderDan
I’ll also be in Asheville for the competition in October.

My wrap seemed to have a pretty decent install - I’m curious if you could share more about the cosmetic issues you’re seeing? Maybe I should look more carefully.

Also, you can install PPF over a vinyl wrap? I wasn’t sure this was possible but I may try that too.
Great! Should be a good time.

My wrap is in good condition - it definitely passes the "3ft test". But at this price point, it's fair to take the position there should not be any issues. As for my rig, there is scratch on one panel on a few other locations it's clear the wrap wasn't properly applied at corners and it would be a matter of time before it started to unravel (I think). The PPF properly applied should help remedy this, but I want JLRNA to address beforehand (and yes, you can apply Expel PPF over the wrap).

Old 08-29-2021, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by stillruns
Do these Defenders come with any type of certificate, documentation or letter that distinguishes them from any other Defender being sold today? Is each one of the 220 numbered?
It really says a lot that Land Rover is only selling 220 units and they couldn't even go the extra mile to have it painted or include the winch. At over $90,000 they should.
Surprisingly, no. They definitely should at least be numbered. I once had a 1994 Alfa Romeo Spider CE (Commemorative Edition) in recognition of the last year they were produced. Not significant changes from a normal Spider at the time (e.g., interior wood accents), but each came with a certificate, numbered plaque (mounted in the interior), and numbered key fob - it was a nice touch. Hard to understand why JLRNA didn't do something similar - especially since the exclusivity is being used as a selling point.

According to my dealer, my Trophy Edition is one of two in the country with the winch - which at an additional $5,800 wasn't cheap. While there are somethings they could have done better (paint vs. wrap, winch, numbering, V8, etc - all of which would have increased the price), I am overall enjoying this rig and happy with the purchase.

Last edited by Craig_RRS2013; 08-29-2021 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
TROPHY55 (11-18-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 09:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig_RRS2013
...According to my dealer, my Trophy Edition is one of two in the country with the winch - which at an additional $5,800 wasn't cheap.
GIves you an advantage in the competition? If they're continuing the Camel Trophy tradition, the Team Spirit award would be yours if you use it to help others.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:21 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
GIves you an advantage in the competition? If they're continuing the Camel Trophy tradition, the Team Spirit award would be yours if you use it to help others.
lol...fortunately, JLRNA will supply their own Trophy Edition rigs for the competition.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

lol...fortunately, JLRNA will supply their own Trophy Edition rigs for the competition.
Ok, the light bulb comes on.

Most surely the one I saw is on the way to the Biltmore experience center and is waiting impatiently for its winch to arrive to be installed.

Enjoy !!

Old 08-29-2021, 04:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

If there is literally nothing that documents it being a special one of a kind Defender, you are going to see copies galore in the coming years. Folks don’t take this the wrong way but what a joke and an embarrassment. It isn’t special. It isn’t unique. It won’t be rare when Jon Bob has his black one wrapped and adds a decal to the doors. Why Land Rover? A simple number plate or a certificate of authenticity or a freakin key fob with a number. LAME!

Old 08-30-2021, 04:21 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great! Should be a good time.

My wrap is in good condition - it definitely passes the "3ft test". But at this price point, it's fair to take the position there should not be any issues. As for my rig, there is scratch on one panel on a few other locations it's clear the wrap wasn't properly applied at corners and it would be a matter of time before it started to unravel (I think). The PPF properly applied should help remedy this, but I want JLRNA to address beforehand (and yes, you can apply Expel PPF over the wrap).
I noticed a small scratch in one of the panels after looking more closely after this thread. Will you update me with how JLRNA remedy the issue? Are they going to rewrap it?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Quick Reply: Defender trophy edition thoughts