Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel options for the US??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairwarlock
I was told that diesel LR’s and RR’s are a thing of the past after current 2020 models for the US. The push will be for hybrid and electric. I’d love a V8 in a new Defender and chances are it may come in the form of an SVR model down the line, but for most consumers of this model the P400 MHEV will be more than enough. I have the P400 in my 2020 HST and I think it’s impressive for an I6. Even the new Land Cruiser will very likely do away with its V8. Times a changin’.
That seems to be the case unfortunately, I think diesel like hybrids and EVs all have a place. I'm sure the P400 works very well on road and commuting, but time will tell how well the P400 holds up with offroad and towing use. I'm a little concerned about all the components in the P400 with hybrid, turbo, etc. We picked the Si6 over the TD6 in the D5, as it was more responsive and felt much faster, though the SD6 would close the gap quite a bit.

I have doubts about a SVR Defender, they teased a SVR with the D5 which never happened.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:37 AM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andries

I have doubts about a SVR Defender, they teased a SVR with the D5 which never happened.
I don’t know in what kind of numbers the Disco sells (I personally don’t see many on the road compared to RR or RRS where I live), but I would guess JLR plans to sell a sh*tload of Defenders. Especially considering it’s a unique chassis and low entry point, they need to sell every iteration of this car they can. I expect to see a droptop model and I’d be shocked if we don’t see a V8 in a high end trim. Maybe not a gas guzzling NA V8, but perhaps a 4.0L turbo or whatever new flagship non-EV engine they release in the new RR or RRS in the next 12-24 months. I bet money on it. I mean the horsepower is not so important here - it’s all about the torque. And without the likelihood of a diesel Stateside, the V8 makes more sense. Would arguably be a better option than a G550, which by the way is selling like hotcakes at a higher $$$.

My .02.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Will see how the Defender sells in the US. I see quite a few D5s in our area, but similar to other places where there are more RR and RRS than D5s. I guess it is because it is a luxury brand in the US, so people will pay more to get a RR/RRS vs just a LR. Very similar to Lexus where I have seen a lot mor LX570s compared to Land Cruisers, I think the LExus that cost more outsold the Land Cruiser by 3 to 1 in the US. I have a feeling that people buy for the status more than the car in these brands, i.e. if I am going to pay for a luxury vehicle may as spend more and the top of the line brand/label/status.

The 6cyl turbo gas engine would be OK if they dropped all the MHEV stuff and just adjusted the turbo to cover more of the low end of the power range. Even if the top end dropped some HP like the M340 BMW with 380hp and 370 lb-ft form 1800-5000 by using a turbo setup instead of the extra belt driven hybrid, electric SC and turbo on the P400. Though the SD6 would have been a great engine for towing, offroad and general workhorse Defender, but I suspect the Defender will be more luxury segment here in the US.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:31 AM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Will see how the Defender sells in the US. I see quite a few D5s in our area, but similar to other places where there are more RR and RRS than D5s. I guess it is because it is a luxury brand in the US, so people will pay more to get a RR/RRS vs just a LR. Very similar to Lexus where I have seen a lot mor LX570s compared to Land Cruisers, I think the LExus that cost more outsold the Land Cruiser by 3 to 1 in the US. I have a feeling that people buy for the status more than the car in these brands, i.e. if I am going to pay for a luxury vehicle may as spend more and the top of the line brand/label/status.

The 6cyl turbo gas engine would be OK if they dropped all the MHEV stuff and just adjusted the turbo to cover more of the low end of the power range. Even if the top end dropped some HP like the M340 BMW with 380hp and 370 lb-ft form 1800-5000 by using a turbo setup instead of the extra belt driven hybrid, electric SC and turbo on the P400. Though the SD6 would have been a great engine for towing, offroad and general workhorse Defender, but I suspect the Defender will be more luxury segment here in the US.
To survive and compete, LR needs to sell to the masses and not the few. I agree LR is a luxury brand especially in the US. If I’m going to off-road, I’ll buy a Wrangler or 4Runner. I’m not going to off-road a $100k LR, Land Cruiser or G-Class. None of these cars are what they used to be...work horses. They’ve all become luxury vehicles because that’s what people want. Make no mistake, the new Defender is a namesake. It’s not what the old Defender was and it’s not made to appease Defender purists. it’s still impressive by specs, but air suspension (except base model), electronics and you can’t install 33’s out of the box means this isn’t going to be the go-to vehicle in the Gobi desert, Moab, etc.

I agree we will see how the MHEV component reliability fairs over time when pushed. But I’m guessing all manuf are going this route. The next 300-series Land Cruiser is supposed to have a 6-cyl hybrid engine. Big jump from it’s very archaic, but reliable, gas guzzling 5.7L V8.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Perhaps a catch 22 in the US, as the diesel options get better, like the new SD6, the demand will go up. For a larger, heavier, vehicle a diesel definitely makes a lot of sense and the US demand for SUV and trucks keep growing i.e. a great growth opportunity. Note sure the hybrid and electric route is the best option for this class if vehicle, but that seems to be the path JLR is pushing here in the US instead of more solid diesel options.
There is a rumor that US Defender in MY21 will get a 296-hp six-cylinder diesel. (Defender will get diesel in US) The new D300 sounds more like their Ingenium product line and less what would be a carryover twin-turbo Sd6 built by Ford-UK that JLR has been using since MY19 in Europe and Australia. (The Sd6 is essentially just a twin-turbo version of the Td6.) I don't see JLR offering two separate six-cylinder diesels in North America at the same time (MY21+) as it just costs too much to get them certified by EPA and CARB. If the MY21 Defender does indeed get a six-cylinder diesel in the US, I would expect the Discovery and Range Rover product line to get that motor as well.

Originally Posted by sobiloff
US folks liked VW's diesels until they were caught cheating emissions, so I don't think Americans are against them if they're marketed correctly. I think there'd be a good market for diesel SUVs, especially with the crowd that tows their toys places. Not everyone wants a pickup bed, and for those who adventure / overland, the extra range diesel affords is really nice.

I may be projecting here, though--I'm looking at the diesel Discovery as my wife's car because my Raptor only gets 7 MPG of premium when towing our travel trailer. Diesel's generally less expensive than premium, and I expect I'll get at least 50% better mileage when towing.
What was that VW diesel emission ordeal? Basically, a crack group of students at WVU measured some of their vehicles and noticed that as the vehicles drove on the road, they emitted more NOx. (Surprise!) Apparently, the EPA was only testing at idle or something like that. I took it all as an attempt by the previous Administration and EPA to advance EV onto a market that was otherwise content with their diesels. I have a 6.2L V8 in my Yukon now and while it's a great motor in the Corvette, I spend most of my time at the lower RPM bands where a modern turbo-diesel would be much better suited.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from several diesels, would have preferred to have that option with the Defender. The P400 is a great engine so far and well suited with the relaxed nature of the Defender platform. I have put a little less than 1000 miles on it so far. Agreed about the reliability concerns with the 48v and the turbo, but I also had a 2012 MB Blutec with the OM642 diesel that seized up on me around 76,000 miles. Would have to drive the US spec Defender diesel to make a decision to swap it out. Came from a 2017 F-Pace R with the 340hp supercharged motor... really miss that vehicle. Before going with the Defender, borrowed a 2020 Discovery with the same motor as the F-Pace and figured it would be close enough. What a difference the 1000 pound delta between the F-Pace and Discovery.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

What's documented in the owner's manual I'm guessing a vehicle with no options. The labels on vehicle are likely closer to correct.

I was able to get info from my coworkers '20 7 seater. Not much better than 800lbs allowed payload, but about 1000lb less than what land rover advertises for payload.

As for my LR3 setup I have a rhino ox hitch rated at 800lb tongue and a propride hitch. Tows very well, but could use a little more power on the mountain passes.

The only way to tell you're within limits of vehicle payload is to measure on a scale loaded. The LR3 just happens to be a little over and from what I can tell the Discovery V is worse.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:20 PM
Mudding
Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

What's documented in the owner's manual I'm guessing a vehicle with no options. The labels on vehicle are likely closer to correct.

I was able to get info from my coworkers '20 7 seater. Not much better than 800lbs allowed payload, but about 1000lb less than what land rover advertises for payload.

As for my LR3 setup I have a rhino ox hitch rated at 800lb tongue and a propride hitch. Tows very well, but could use a little more power on the mountain passes.

The only way to tell you're within limits of vehicle payload is to measure on a scale loaded. The LR3 just happens to be a little over and from what I can tell the Discovery V is worse.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:35 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in my dealer today, Scottsdale, AZ looking at the new Defenders. The salesman indicated the the Td6 diesel would be available for build for the 2021 model year. He indicated build for 2021’s would start probably late November with models hitting early spring 2021. I’ve got this engine in my ‘17 Range Rover Sport and the engine is great, runs strong, no issues. I just may need to build that Defender.

The following 2 users liked this post by Danimal:
BOHICA (11-09-2020), njdefendernj (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
I was in my dealer today, Scottsdale, AZ looking at the new Defenders. The salesman indicated the the Td6 diesel would be available for build for the 2021 model year. He indicated build for 2021’s would start probably late November with models hitting early spring 2021. I’ve got this engine in my ‘17 Range Rover Sport and the engine is great, runs strong, no issues. I just may need to build that Defender.
That would be awesome. I hope something official comes soon. I asked my dealer two weeks ago and they told me they had heard no plans of a diesel for the us. The difference in fuel economy is a game changer for my uses....

Quick Reply: Diesel options for the US??