2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro NCAP crash test - 2020 Defender 110

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good evening, I would like to buy the new defender but unfortunately I was disappointed by the crash test which highlighted possible damage to the femurs and pelvis in frontal impacts with a score of 85%not exciting. what do you think. regards

Old 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The rating seems pretty good considering it is a backup for the driver. I also think any impact will hurt. Imagine what the rating was on my old Defender.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

85 means it's in theb85th percentile and better than 85% of other new vehicles in this rating system or am I missing something?

I'd like to see what vehicles are up near 99th percentile.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
I thought these things were governed and not allowed to go 50km/h because that far exceeds the speed limit in a mall parking lot. Who's pushing a shopping cart that fast anyway! I guess when she is in a hurry to get to tennis practice the obstacle avoidance is important to have...

Oh boy...
No matter what anyone else may say, I appreciate what you contribute to this community.

Nate

Last edited by todkavonic; 12-11-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto Savoia
good evening, I would like to buy the new defender but unfortunately I was disappointed by the crash test which highlighted possible damage to the femurs and pelvis in frontal impacts with a score of 85%not exciting. what do you think. regards
A very good evening to you too sir. Yes, 85% is 15% less than 100% and, as such, represents exactly 17/20th of 1 or, if one were to extrapolate, 51/60ths of 3. So there remains a 9/60th chance of one or more of your three femurs bring injured. Thankfully, I presume, you only have two, so right out of the gate you're only 2/3rds as likely to be injured as say, a horse and a three-legged horse, were they to somehow be surgically attached and then manage to crash whilst driving a Defender. While this is all well and good, and certainly worthy of a five-star rating, I find that it's appropriate to disregard crash test data because, like you, I'll drive more safely than a pair of conjoined horses, I mean, the thought alone is ridiculous. The driving, not the horses. Everyone knows that even well-trained horses can't hold a steering wheel (no thumbs you see), and one steed in this scenario is missing a leg for goodness sake. Try not to stare. Taking a step back, it seems to me that 85% was pretty much amazing given the difficulties those horses must've had even aiming for the barrier in the first place. I know, I shouldn't barrier-shame, I'm so sorry. Anyhow, I for one, or 17/20th of one anyway, would like to congratulate you on your decision---you've arrived with both femurs intact and that pelvis too.

Nate

Last edited by todkavonic; 12-12-2020 at 08:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by todkavonic:
crewcabrob (12-12-2020), Freemey (12-13-2020), tictalk67 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 11:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by todkavonic
A very good evening to you too sir. Yes, 85% is 15% less than 100% and, as such, represents exactly 17/20th of 1 or, if one were to extrapolate, 51/60ths of 3. So there remains a 9/60th chance of one or more of your three femurs bring injured. Thankfully, I presume, you only have two, so right out of the gate you're only 2/3rds as likely to be injured as say, a horse and a three-legged horse, were they to somehow be surgically attached and then manage to crash whilst driving a Defender. While this is all well and good, and certainly worthy of a five-star rating, I find that it's appropriate to disregard crash test data because, like you, I'll drive more safely than a pair of conjoined horses, I mean, the thought alone is ridiculous. The driving, not the horses. Everyone knows that even well-trained horses can't hold a steering wheel (no thumbs you see), and one steed in this scenario is missing a leg for goodness sake. Try not to stare. Taking a step back, it seems to me that 85% was pretty much amazing given the difficulties those horses must've had even aiming for the barrier in the first place. I know, I shouldn't barrier-shame, I'm so sorry. Anyhow, I for one, or 17/20th of one anyway, would like to congratulate you on your decision---you've arrived with both femurs intact and that pelvis too.

Nate
Brilliant - love it.
.....and if we get any more cocooned by these NCAP / ANCAP / whatever else CAP-rating Cotton Wool features, we will all expect to drive into a brick wall and walk away with just a crooked smile.

These are just metal boxes after all - there is a limit to just how much protection can be built in, and JLR have done a FANTASTIC job of making this Defender about as safe for people, or conjoined horses in the metal box, (....and for those outside of the metal box) as any car manufacturer can. But there is always some risk, two legs or four (three ?)

If you are not taking any risks, you are dead.

Oldmowgli