Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on Vulkan Roof Rack and Ladder

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Feedback on Vulkan Roof Rack and Ladder

Anyone have first hand experience with Vulkan Roof Rack and Ladder?
I completely realize these are not OEM, but the feedback I'm looking for is whether those who have them installed, how are they holding up?
I'm in the US and before I spend the fairly steep shipping, I want to find out whether it's worth the savings vs. OEM.
I've been in contact with them and mentioned they've made some modifications which have improved quality from earlier versions. For instance they come with stainless steel bolts, etc.
I'd prefer to hear some real world feedback before making this purchase.

Last edited by ficklma1; 01-30-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Great post, anxiously waiting any responses, as I have been holding off on purchasing a roof rack. I like the OEM rack but was considering a FrontRunner instead. This gives another option for purchase. And as an addition to feedback, anyone who has experience with Vulkan’s In Car Entertainment, (ICE, they call it), please share with the forum. There are no reviews on Vulkans website. This device lets you stream or mirror content from your phone to the Defender’s Pivi Pro screen. I am also interested in this item but awaiting some additional info or reviews before purchasing.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 05:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ficklma1
Anyone with first hand experience with Vulkan Roof Rack and Ladder?
I completely realize these are not OEM, but the feedback I'm looking for is whether those who have them installed, how are they holding up?
I'm in the US and before I spend the fairly steep shipping, I want to find out whether it's worth the savings vs. OEM.
I've been in contact with them and mentioned they've made some modifications which have improved quality from earlier versions. For instance they come with stainless steel bolts, etc.
I'd prefer to hear some real world feedback before making this purchase.
Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Great post, anxiously waiting any responses, as I have been holding off on purchasing a roof rack. I like the OEM rack but was considering a FrontRunner instead. This gives another option for purchase. And as an addition to feedback, anyone who has experience with Vulkan’s In Car Entertainment, (ICE, they call it), please share with the forum. There are no reviews on Vulkans website. This device lets you stream or mirror content from your phone to the Defender’s Pivi Pro screen. I am also interested in this item but awaiting some additional info or reviews before purchasing.
Hoping someone can provide some feedback. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-27-2023, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help now. Tomorrow I will be installing an aftermarket ladder and lunch box (both OEM style). My observations based on unpacking both is that the quality, at least for the ones I purchased, seems very good. Each of them even came with predrilled trim strips (one silver and one black which I have painted tasman blue). If interested I'm happy to share more tomorrow afternoon.

I have a Front Runner rack on order.

The following 2 users liked this post by MattF:
ficklma1 (01-29-2023), TheManMac (01-27-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 03:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both the roof rack and ladder from Vulkan. Purchased in Dec 2021.

I can tell you this, I live in sunny San Diego, CA and for the most part, the roof rack holds up. I did have early issues with bolts corroding and rusting, looked like crap. There was quite a bit of wobble to the rack. Vulkan ended up sending me a new updated rack with stainless steel bolts and everything there is fine.

In regards to the ladder (I have no experience with OEM ladder), it’s total crap to me. Plastic trim dulls and turns into this off white color, all bolts rust/corrode. Plastic trim on the top cover comes loose constantly. Vulkan has no fix to this and when I mentioned it to them after 2-3 months, they were aware of the issues and says updates are happening. Since then, they’ve essentially stopped responding to my emails.

I have no experience with OEM parts but in regards to these two items, personally I’d stay away from the ladder.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tranv117:
ficklma1 (01-29-2023), TheManMac (01-28-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 04:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Tranv117
I have both the roof rack and ladder from Vulkan. Purchased in Dec 2021.

I can tell you this, I live in sunny San Diego, CA and for the most part, the roof rack holds up. I did have early issues with bolts corroding and rusting, looked like crap. There was quite a bit of wobble to the rack. Vulkan ended up sending me a new updated rack with stainless steel bolts and everything there is fine.

In regards to the ladder (I have no experience with OEM ladder), it’s total crap to me. Plastic trim dulls and turns into this off white color, all bolts rust/corrode. Plastic trim on the top cover comes loose constantly. Vulkan has no fix to this and when I mentioned it to them after 2-3 months, they were aware of the issues and says updates are happening. Since then, they’ve essentially stopped responding to my emails.

I have no experience with OEM parts but in regards to these two items, personally I’d stay away from the ladder.
Thanks for this feedback! If you don't mind, what color is the plastic trim you're referring to? The black surround pieces? Or something else?

Old 01-30-2023, 05:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MattF
I'm not sure if this will help now. Tomorrow I will be installing an aftermarket ladder and lunch box (both OEM style). My observations based on unpacking both is that the quality, at least for the ones I purchased, seems very good. Each of them even came with predrilled trim strips (one silver and one black which I have painted tasman blue). If interested I'm happy to share more tomorrow afternoon.

I have a Front Runner rack on order.

Hi Matt,
What aftermarket ladder did you purchase? Do you mind sharing the link so that I can compare?
Thanks!

Old 01-30-2023, 06:22 PM
Winching

Happy to share. Now that they are installed they both seem great. I will say the one area that seems cheaper are the locks.

The ladder Ebay Ladder Link I offered $400 and it was accepted. No shipping and it arrived quickly.

ficklma1 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MattF
Happy to share. Now that they are installed they both seem great. I will say the one area that seems cheaper are the locks.

The ladder Ebay Ladder Link I offered $400 and it was accepted. No shipping and it arrived quickly.

I’m assuming you fully tried them out? Stepping on and using it without any issue?

Also, did you get your trim pieces painted by the dealer?

Thanks!

Last edited by ficklma1; 01-30-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:30 PM
Winching

Indeed tried them out it’s a strange feeling at first.

I painted the trim myself. That was the longest part of the project. Wet sanded then 3 coats of base color. Then multiple coats of clear. It took about 1 hour to install being very careful to protect the truck. The ladder is fairly heavy.

ficklma1 (01-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Feedback on Vulkan Roof Rack and Ladder