Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix Brand New Car or REplace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix Brand New Car or REplace?

So - took delivery of a new 2020 Black X this weekend. It turn's out the InControl "Remote & Protect" system isn't working or able to connect in any fashion (its a hardware issue, not software). There is also the passenger A-pillar issue discussed elsewhere. The dealer has offered to fix both of course, or I can simply exchange for another 2020 X they have on the lot that's similarly equipped. The catch - the other one is Eiger Grey. I suppose my aesthetic preference is for the all-black but could live with the Eiger Gray for a couple of years. Its more important to me to have a care with out a million issues.

Curious what others on this Board think/know. Is replacing the InControl system a big deal that could lead to other issues - or a simple module swap?

I suppose I'm just looking for opinions from a broader group of owners!

Old 12-22-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I can't speak for the X model but our First Edition has had more than a few issues. And to this day they are still working on some of them and have our car right now. This is the 5th time it's been in. Since August. But, that said, I wouldn't want to trade for another model. Unless it is deemed undriveable, then we will talk about it. But if you are happy with your X model now, have them fix it and move on. There is no guarantee that another model won't have the same issues.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Eiger is an 800 dollar option... do you lose any options? I'm partial to eiger and have it on our disco 5.... black was a no go... we test drove a narvick black and it was dirty and finger printed all up by the time we were done looking at it. You do you though.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

[QUOTE=spicedparrot;754568]So - took delivery of a new 2020 Black X this weekend. It turn's out the InControl "Remote & Protect" system isn't working or able to connect in any fashion (its a hardware issue, not software). There is also the passenger A-pillar issue discussed elsewhere. The dealer has offered to fix both of course, or I can simply exchange for another 2020 X they have on the lot that's similarly equipped. The catch - the other one is Eiger Grey. I suppose my aesthetic preference is for the all-black but could live with the Eiger Gray for a couple of years. Its more important to me to have a care with out a million issues.

Curious what others on this Board think/know. Is replacing the InControl system a big deal that could lead to other issues - or a simple module swap?

I suppose I'm just looking for opinions from a broader group of owners![/QUOTE

If you said it is more important to have a car without a million issues, why would you get another Defender? Have you been reading the forums and the endless issues these $75-80k vehicles have?

Old 12-22-2020, 07:44 PM

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

It is so true, sad, but true! The only reason we still have ours is because my wife simply loves this thing. Even with the issues. So she is willing to let them try to fix it.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - lots of issues on here. But no matter what car you buy (mercedes, BMW, cadillac) message boards always look the same. On the other hand, there are also quite a few that have no issues at all. I bought an iPace this summer and the issues on the Jag boards make this look board look like a few paltry complaints - yet the Jag is problem free.

I suppose I was looking for more insight on what it might take to replace the telmatics module. My experience has been some repairs quickly solve the issue, other repairs can have a cascading effect and cause multiple others. Just trying to decide what I have in my situation.

In my case, other than the telematics and a-pillar the vehicle has been just fine. Perhaps there are some on here that have had no issues? If so, I’m interested in hearing from some of those.

And I”m torn between the black and eiger gray. Just can’t decide which look I like best.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:05 PM

I don't know what all is required for your repairs or what to expect. The A pillar thing is something that can be fixed rather simply. Although ours has been fixed a couple times and it always comes back. I don't LR has a permanent fix for it yet. Just some felt tape where the clips stick into the body.

As for color, Black is without a doubt the most beautiful color when it is clean. I have owned numerous black vehicles and loved every one of them. Until it was detail time. I used to detail professionally for a living. And it sucked! Don't do it anymore, but I like to keep clean vehicles. So every vehicle in our driveway is some sort of Silver. Wife's Defender is Indus Silver, my truck is Billet Silver and our daughter's new Corolla is Cement. So as you can see, I don't want to take the time to clean black anymore. I prefer the Silver/Gray family of colors. But that is just me. You might be different and prefer the black. But the Eigar Gray is beautiful too. So you can't go wrong on color.

The following users liked this post:
FzyPChz (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defender1stEdition
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

It is so true, sad, but true! The only reason we still have ours is because my wife simply loves this thing. Even with the issues. So she is willing to let them try to fix it.
I believe that their styling is so unique and eye catching, it has to be the stand out factor. Owners want to drive something that is not cookie cutter and bland like every SUV made today. For this reason, any problems that occur no matter what a pain in the a$$ they are will get a pass. What a remarkable relationship.

The following users liked this post:
2020Defender1stEdition (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:21 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

have them fix it and try to enhance the experience by asking for an extended warranty?

Old 12-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I like sblvro's suggestion of asking for an extended warranty. Manufacturers also offer a couple of lease or car payments as 'good will' gestures.

One other thing to consider is whether the offer could be viewed as an attempt to resolve a potential lemon law/breach of warranty claim. Let's say you go to the dealer and say, "this car is a lemon." The dealer says, "ok, we'll give you a new one right off the lot." You reply, "my wife likes this one." Months go by and so many other problems pop up they can't fix, so you decide to sue for breach of warranty or lemon law. The manufacturer is going to argue, "We offered to give him a new car months ago and he declined." The case might be dismissed.

I'm a lawyer who deals with lemon law and breach of warranty cases, but THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, I'm not suggesting any course of action or that you have a valid claim. I don't know where you live so don't know your jurisdiction or the law where you live and I'm not going to research it for fee Just something you should think about. If you know an attorney, and every one does, talk to him before making a decision.

Quick Reply: Fix Brand New Car or REplace?