2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the KO2 crowd - Good match for Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:20 AM
Mudding
Received 145 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Thanks, Ludders!

It’s interesting that the Cooper Discoverer AT3 seems to be very close to the Nokian, despite being positioned about 5 places below; not sure what that’s about. But many of their marks are quite similar. I wound up with a version of the Discoverer, but mine, the Rugged Trek RT, is a little more aggressive than the AT3, without being a full-on MT. Unfortunately it’s not in their review — specified down in the list of “tires we have no reviews for.”

At any rate, I suppose when it comes time to replace my road tires I’ll look closely at those two options.

Cheers.
Steven did an interesting review here a while back (he used to have a L663, but dropped it as it had too many ongoing issues &#129397

He’s had the Cooper Discoverer’s too, so he’s more au fait with their benefits.

Andy

Old 09-23-2022, 10:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

After getting my rims in July, and taking an eon or two to trim my calipers, I finally went to Costco to get my new KO2 boots installed today. Sadly they didn't have the right TPMS for my Defender. Bad homework on my part. I'm an idiot.

Couple of calls made.
Local dealer wants $770 plus tax for 5 and a week wait to get such a rare part. LOL
Discount Tire has a box of them at $60 a pop. I'll get 5 tomorrow and the tires installed next week. Fortune Creek! I'm coming!

I had great plans to tackle some rocky stuff tomorrow. Weekends are so rare. I hate it when plans don't come together.

Costco bro was a good bloke. Asked me if I wanted to see the new treads. He's a truck guy so appreciates a nice meaty tire. I'll not lie, seeing the 265/70 R18 KO2s naked and slick with tire goop got me a little hot under the collar.

The white lettering gets you every time. Sadly my other half is not a fan of the white and they will be covertly positioned on the rims.

Last edited by GavinC; 09-23-2022 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LandRanger (12-09-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 05:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,401 Likes on 688 Posts

That sucks. It’s tough to wait, I know. For anyone else who needs TPMS and can’t source them locally or isn’t in a hurry, I used these in my off-road wheel/tire set and they work like a champ. 38 bucks at Amazon, second day delivery.

TPMS set TPMS set

Old 09-24-2022, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
That sucks. It’s tough to wait, I know. For anyone else who needs TPMS and can’t source them locally or isn’t in a hurry, I used these in my off-road wheel/tire set and they work like a champ. 38 bucks at Amazon, second day delivery.

TPMS set
Thanks @NoGaBiker

I should have done my research better. I've never bought rims before and just assumed TPMS were sort of universal across the board. That's a very useful link for future TPMS Defender shoppers.

Having said that. Discount tire couldn't have been more helpful. They hooked me up right away this morning.

They cloned the new set of 5 sensors to match the existing set and told me to swing by if there were any issues with them after the install. Great customer service right there.

Next Saturday the plan is to get these new boots aired down and dirty.

Now if I can just find a noble band of fellow Defenders, I'll be all set.

Last edited by GavinC; 09-26-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks @NoGaBiker

I should have done my research better. I've never bought rims before and just assumed TPMS were sort of universal across the board. That's a very useful link for future TPMS Defender shoppers.

Having said that. Discount tire couldn't have been more helpful. They hooked me up right away this morning.

They cloned the new set of 5 sensors to match the existing set and told me to swing by if there were any issues with them after the install. Great customer service right there.

Next Saturday the plan is to get these new boots aired down and dirty.

Now if I can just find a noble band of fellow Defenders, I'll be all set.

@ADVAW8S @2thebrim

You're in the Seattle area right? Hoping to get that way this winter and will def join if I do!!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by inater
You're in the Seattle area right? Hoping to get that way this winter and will def join if I do!!
@inater For sure mate. I'm in Kirkland (a little East of Seattle). It's still very dry and dusty in the Cascades which is great, but plenty of fun muddy wet weeks in store before the snows close off most of our tracks till June. Let me know when you're headed this way again and we can do some wheeling and grab a beer.

I want to get some good use out of my KO2's before my snow boots go back on in November.

Dusty hiking/biking (probably more your cup of tea) trail from Friday at about 4600'

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
MattF (09-25-2022), NoGaBiker (09-25-2022)