Sponsored by:

Lag or Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 06:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lag or Transmission?

Folks,

My 2020 110S P300's rear diff was recently replaced (~1,000 miles) under warranty. This solved the growing problem of clunking under low speeds, especially at turns and initial acceleration.

I'm noticing something odd now: when driving around town, the downshift and lag seem a little more abrupt/aggressive than I recall previously. I'm also finding it occasionally seems to slightly stall/stumble when going about 20-25 MPH, an odd sensation of hunting for the gear while stuttering like it's running out of fuel.

I didn't have my car for a month during the repair, and while I was fixated on the diff issue maybe this was happening unbeknownst to be but I think it's unlikely. So, I'm taking it back to get looked at (warranty has 3 more months so being very aggressive about having things taken care of) but welcome any thoughts or similar experiences.

Old 08-08-2024, 07:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 250 Likes on 150 Posts

Did they reprogram the transmission? Sometimes that happens, and the car will have to relearn your driving style. Also, the rear diff clunk is normal and isn't anything to be concerned about. I'm still shocked that they replaced it under warranty. But hey, I wouldn't be complaining about a new rear diff!

Old 08-09-2024, 06:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyRovers
Did they reprogram the transmission? Sometimes that happens, and the car will have to relearn your driving style. Also, the rear diff clunk is normal and isn't anything to be concerned about. I'm still shocked that they replaced it under warranty. But hey, I wouldn't be complaining about a new rear diff!
The rear differential clunk is normal? I would love for this to be true, but my e-lock rear differential does this and all the threads on here lead me to believe it will end up in a differential replacement. Perhaps the OP does not have the e-lock spec’ed and the situation if different.

Old 08-09-2024, 06:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine started as a noticible clunk and then grew in noise and vibration -- my kids could sit in the back and say they felt it. It's not normal, and others on this forum have experienced the same issue with bad outcomes. Mine was replaced after the dealer did two fluid flushes per JLR's guidelines before getting approval to replace the unit which is ~$5K alone. There's a tech bulletin on this issue.

Old 08-09-2024, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 250 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by AVLDefender
The rear differential clunk is normal? I would love for this to be true, but my e-lock rear differential does this and all the threads on here lead me to believe it will end up in a differential replacement. Perhaps the OP does not have the e-lock spec’ed and the situation if different.
It is normal. My e-diff occasionally clunks, but it is barely noticeable. However, it is better if you flush the rear diff more often than the recommended 60k interval. I flushed my diff at 35k and I will do it every 30k from now on. Yes, there is a TSB on it, but there are TSBs for things such as stained upholstery and cracked windshields. The Defender D240 I drove at the LR Experience Center in Solihull was a clunker, and the instructor told me it was normal and that all of their school cars do it. And that car had around 15k miles on it, all of which were accumulated on their off-road tracks. BTW, that D240 turbodiesel I4 was underpowered. I can only imagine how much better the I6 diesels must be. The Defender uses the same rear e-diff used on all of the other D7 platform cars (L405, L494 and L462). After speaking in-depth with my service manager and one of my friends in the UK who is a development engineer at JLR, they both told me that it is normal and just a bit of friction in the rear diff and something you shouldn't worry about. My dealer has never had to replace a rear e-diff in any D7 platform vehicle. Of course, there are always exceptions, and you can't always guarantee an electromechanical device will always work. If it bothers someone, then they of course have the right to try to get it fixed. Believe what you want, but after extensive research and talking with people who are familiar with these diffs, I am no longer concerned about the clunking.

Last edited by CincyRovers; 08-09-2024 at 09:41 AM.