Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, Need Some Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New Member, Need Some Help!

My wife bought this Defender 110 First Edition with Explorer Pack in August 2020, and it has been back to the dealership numerous times since. I won't get into all that was wrong with it, but I am not a fan. For an $80+K vehicle this thing has been nothing but a headache. We finally thought we had it all resolved a few weeks ago but now, it making a horrible noise coming from the passenger side rear of the car. It only does it when the speed gets above 48MPH and it gets louder, then quieter, and then louder. It is annoying as hell! At first I thought it was the roof rack and side carrier box, but there is no way this is a wind noise. It sounds mechanical. Maybe a fuel pump? Maybe this thing is possessed, I don't know. We have another appointment to take it to the dealership and drop it off next Wednesday, but I am hoping maybe some of you guys can help? We are new to Land Rover, but if this is the quality of their vehicles, this will definitely be our last one.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

LoL, it's a modern day Land Rover what did you expect? Get a LC and live the dream!

Old 11-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Mudding

To be honest, I figured way more quality of a vehicle from the Land Rover brand. Boy was I disappointed.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defender1stEdition
My wife bought this Defender 110 First Edition with Explorer Pack in August 2020, and it has been back to the dealership numerous times since. I won't get into all that was wrong with it, but I am not a fan. For an $80+K vehicle this thing has been nothing but a headache. We finally thought we had it all resolved a few weeks ago but now, it making a horrible noise coming from the passenger side rear of the car. It only does it when the speed gets above 48MPH and it gets louder, then quieter, and then louder. It is annoying as hell! At first I thought it was the roof rack and side carrier box, but there is no way this is a wind noise. It sounds mechanical. Maybe a fuel pump? Maybe this thing is possessed, I don't know. We have another appointment to take it to the dealership and drop it off next Wednesday, but I am hoping maybe some of you guys can help? We are new to Land Rover, but if this is the quality of their vehicles, this will definitely be our last one.
I cannot recall another buyer on this site describing the sound / issue you describe. So, you may be facing a new challenge.

The nearest complaint is with the A pillar cover on the passenger side (U.S.) noise described in several threads on this site. There is a warranty fix for that one, with the instructions and details on those threads.

Please keep us informed, if you do not mind. Good luck !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 11-20-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:04 PM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

We've been very fortunate with ours and have not had any issues. That being said this is the first year, and there are bound to be some things that have to be ironed out. I'm certain they can get them ironed out, although it may not be as fast as you like. It is true that you would expect fewer of these things with a Land Cruiser, but that vehicle also hasn't been updated in over a decade. I hope you'll give LR the time to fix your issues because they are incredible vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
TexasLandmark (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:21 PM
Mudding

my wife loves this thing, me not so much. but it is hers and that's really what matters. but this noise is annoying as hell! and now she said she heard the A pillar issue on the way home yesterday from work.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear your are having trouble. I brought my first ever Landrover and it was the Defender. So far, after only 400 miles or so, I and my family really love it. We knew buying this car meant having to deal with issues but I really liked the drive and the way the car had a no nonsense feel to it after driving the MB GLE (felt really frilly), Toyo 4 Runner (felt old and out dated).
I guess time will tell how my car holds up.
Please keep us informed on what happens.
Thanks.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Mudding

Will do guys. One thing I will compliment the Defender on is the ride. It rides better than any other vehicle we have ever owned. I attribute that to it's air suspension. But that is the only compliment I can give this thing.

Ours had a laundry list of issues and we are getting them sorted out slowly. Most of them were dealer installed accessories issues and the software issue. We thought we had everything done and now this. Oh and the A Pillar issue as well now. So back to the shop it goes. We will see what they say. I know this is the first year for the "new" Defender, but I honestly expected better from a premium brand. Guess I was mistaken. Its hard to believe that my wife loves this vehicle.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I have posted a good bit since I found this forum. We are long time Landrover owners never a Range Rover and have never had any issues starting with the first a red defender back in the 90s. Of course it is a quantum leap from basic to circuit boards and fancy screens. I had always heard of issue with the RR models and always wondered why we were so lucky. Our latest 2 - a 2019 Discovery Sport and my 2020 Defender commit us to an all Rover garage for the first time. There was a cooling fan recall on the 2019 when we bought it and other than that it has been trouble free. From my numerous posts my only issues with the Defender have been software and not critical ones-just irritants if you want everything to work. As of now I don’t have any Defender problems folks talk about other than wanting a bit more information on what is the method for software updates. I think to launch a new model with all of this new tech during a Pandemic and in a relatively new factory is a tall order.

I look at the dates of delivery when I see the A pillar noise issues and I think my delivery date of early October may have saved me some issues. At least I hope JLR is improving models as they come off the line with their experience in the field. I am still very high on my Defender and look forward every day to a drive. I did get what I always have had in our Landrovers - a very solid smooth ride. My 4 cylinder transmission combo is fantastic so far and as smooth as anything I have ever driven-so is the Discovery Sport which I had a hard time getting a turn behind the wheel. The sound of this P300 motors is also very nice. I have to admit it is a very good job of design and they did find that vehicle that seems to do it all. Now the last bit of execution in software management mostly and they should have a winner. I am impatient as well about having everything right and so this forum has been a great source of info for me.

Old 11-21-2020, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defender1stEdition
my wife loves this thing, me not so much. but it is hers and that's really what matters. but this noise is annoying as hell! and now she said she heard the A pillar issue on the way home yesterday from work.
Do hang in there, if you can !!

I agree with the comments regarding Mercedes. My parents have owned 8 or 9 modern Mercedes and "frilly" is a good adjective, I think. But, they do so love those vehicles (even as their vehicles love going home to the dealer's shop!)

It seems people buy the new Defender for several reasons, many for how good they think it looks (and how much they can custom add to it, looks-wise), many for the electronic gadgets which are presently being worked through by you and others, and many for the community of owners and dealers (many of which are really terrific and if located outside the population centers have good readiness to service appts. and readily work through warranty issues).

I bought the new Defender for the dealers/owner network and for its every day driving + world-class 4X4 capability, as well as its mostly aluminum construction. The aluminum means I can maybe keep it without rusting out for decades and the 4X4 logic is in its 5th (?) generation of steady, focused effort, combining the best of what was on the Discovery 4 (brake vectoring and Terrain response) and the Evoque (clutched differentials) with best in class 4x4 dimensions.

I hope all work through the electronics teething issues quickly -- enjoy !!

Quick Reply: New Member, Need Some Help!