Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
In the U.S. and Canada, for other than the X and first edition versions, you must buy the off-road package to get the locking rear differential, you also get off-ride tires and some other items in that package.
This is not quite true - you can get a locking rear diff added on its own, without the rest of the off-road package (which includes a 110V inverter outlet in the trunk, and off-road tires). I know this, because my Defender, bought off the lot, has the locking diff but street tires and no inverter.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Wow, Bought off the lot ! I am figuring they are really hard to find? Did you end up paying any premium -- just curious?

I was not sure why the 110V inverter is need for off-road spec? Any ideas what I am supposed to do with that?

My is supposed to show up at the end of September -- tick tock ..... watching the calendar every day.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I did not end up paying any premium - but no discounts either, it was full MSRP. It was also equipped with a lot of extra options that I would have not ordered myself, so I ended up paying more than I would have with a direct order, to get my vehicle a lot earlier. It's a tradeoff I was willing to make, because I wanted a tow vehicle sooner rather than later.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I also bought off of the lot--the dealer had 2 remaining Defenders in their inventory. They tried to sell it to me for $14K or $16K above MSRP because the national inventory is so low and they are in demand. I respectfully just asked them to contact me if it ever was available at MSRP. As I was pulling out of the dealership in my Disco, the dealer came running out stating they would sell it for MSRP. The guy who did the closing paperwork did say several have paid above sticker price/MSRP.
----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Wow, Bought off the lot ! I am figuring they are really hard to find? Did you end up paying any premium -- just curious?

I was not sure why the 110V inverter is need for off-road spec? Any ideas what I am supposed to do with that?

My is supposed to show up at the end of September -- tick tock ..... watching the calendar every day.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a flapping wind noise near the right front passenger pillar. Sounds like a piece of tape flapping in the wind on the window. I think it is the plastic pillar cover. I have the snorkel, so the left side does make the noise. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
njdefendernj (08-07-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling

The A pillar noise is a known issue - there is a service bulletin to do a simple mod to eliminate it, basically putting some material in there to dampen the vibration. I'm having mine looked at for the same issue (and a few other small nits) next week.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm close to buying one off the lot, either Silver or Green. Interestingly, one dealer who had been asking $10k over MSRP is now asking MSRP. Most dealers that I've spoken with are asking MSRP. One offered to discount $750 off the MSRP. A dealer in Florida is advertising a @$5k discount off MSRP, although there may be a story there. The initial frenzy seems to have died down somewhat.

Also, dealers with Defenders on the ground seem to be more open to selling out of state than they were even a month ago, and are not requiring in person signatures or handovers.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Addendum to above: Although dealers are not requiring in person signatures or handovers, do owners here still recommend an in person test drive and handover to make sure everything is perfect with the car?

Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

It seems fishy that a dealer would sell at a $5,000 discount. According to this recent article, Land Rover is working through a backlog of 20,000 orders. So given their scarcity, I would be surprised for a dealer to sell for $5,000 discount. Here is the article: https://www.foxnews.com/auto/land-ro...er-90-covid-19

----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
I'm close to buying one off the lot, either Silver or Green. Interestingly, one dealer who had been asking $10k over MSRP is now asking MSRP. Most dealers that I've spoken with are asking MSRP. One offered to discount $750 off the MSRP. A dealer in Florida is advertising a @$5k discount off MSRP, although there may be a story there. The initial frenzy seems to have died down somewhat.

Also, dealers with Defenders on the ground seem to be more open to selling out of state than they were even a month ago, and are not requiring in person signatures or handovers.

venom_defender (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Great review, TW, did you test drive or consider the 4 cylinder?

I have some questions for you and the rest of the group: ( know these are personal preference issues but I'd like some opinions before Friday (the day we visit the dealer to order ours).

Our Usage: We don't do a lot of off roading; rugged, small-rock infested mountain roads/trails a few times a year when camping, dirt and farm roads in the country, and a little beach driving. A few long road trips a year (13+ hours each way), beach/surf trips every other weekend, all summer long (2-3 hours each way). We don't tow anything. Surfboards and light gear on the roof. Not much city driving either, everything is close to our house, so we walk or bike most places.

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need the V6? How bad would the 4 cylinder engine option would be? We test drove the V6 a couple of times and it felt quick and capable. But I not a lot faster than my Volvo xc90 V8 AWD. I can't find a single review of the 4 cylinder (296 hp / 4,850 lbs curb weight) . Previous cars have been 2013 GLK350 4matic (300hp / 4,321 lbs cw) and still have a 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD (310hp/ 4,800 lbs cw). The 4 cylinder has more hp than the base Jeep Wrangler v6 (285 hp / 5,300 lbs cw). We're worried about the mild-hybrid V6's reliability ( LR doesn't that rep and neither the GLK or Volvo has ever left us stranded) and high way performance (never driver faster than 100 . And of course, the 4 cylinder is $13k less expensive;

2) How much off-roading capability do we really need? We're adding the Off-Road Pack, but do we need: All Terrain Progress Control; Configurable Terrain Response, and Advance Tow Assist (which helps you park the trailer)? Is the Off-Road pack good enough for super-mild off-roading? and

3) Do I need the raised air-intake? I watched the reviews and Namibia road trip, so I get what it's used for, and it looks cool, but is it needed?

With the 4 cylinder Off-Road Pack, Cold-Weather Pack (we visit Chicago and Green Bay often), and other hand picked accessories, we're at $65k. If we add the V6, we're close at $78k, that's a pretty big difference. As you can see by our 2013 and 2007, we keep cars forever and don't trade up on a whim, so re-sale value isn't a consideration.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Quick Reply: New owner first impressions