2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

On the forum, there is actually a decent thread on the 4 cylinder vs. the 6 cylinder. Here is the link: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...s-p400-101098/

I wasn't able to test drive the P300 (the 4 cylinder model) as they only had 2 of the P400s in stock at the time. You definitely can save a lot of money with the P300 though--I totally hear you. But the reviews of the P300 sound pretty positive on our forum.

Based on your usage, I am not really sure if you "need" the raised air intake. In terms of whether or not you need the off road package, I don't do a ton of off roading as of yet either. But the stock vehicle would probably handle all of your needs based on your description below--even w/o the off road package.

Originally Posted by brydup
Great review, TW, did you test drive or consider the 4 cylinder?

I have some questions for you and the rest of the group: ( know these are personal preference issues but I'd like some opinions before Friday (the day we visit the dealer to order ours).

Our Usage: We don't do a lot of off roading; rugged, small-rock infested mountain roads/trails a few times a year when camping, dirt and farm roads in the country, and a little beach driving. A few long road trips a year (13+ hours each way), beach/surf trips every other weekend, all summer long (2-3 hours each way). We don't tow anything. Surfboards and light gear on the roof. Not much city driving either, everything is close to our house, so we walk or bike most places.

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need the V6? How bad would the 4 cylinder engine option would be? We test drove the V6 a couple of times and it felt quick and capable. But I not a lot faster than my Volvo xc90 V8 AWD. I can't find a single review of the 4 cylinder (296 hp / 4,850 lbs curb weight) . Previous cars have been 2013 GLK350 4matic (300hp / 4,321 lbs cw) and still have a 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD (310hp/ 4,800 lbs cw). The 4 cylinder has more hp than the base Jeep Wrangler v6 (285 hp / 5,300 lbs cw). We're worried about the mild-hybrid V6's reliability ( LR doesn't that rep and neither the GLK or Volvo has ever left us stranded) and high way performance (never driver faster than 100 . And of course, the 4 cylinder is $13k less expensive;

2) How much off-roading capability do we really need? We're adding the Off-Road Pack, but do we need: All Terrain Progress Control; Configurable Terrain Response, and Advance Tow Assist (which helps you park the trailer)? Is the Off-Road pack good enough for super-mild off-roading? and

3) Do I need the raised air-intake? I watched the reviews and Namibia road trip, so I get what it's used for, and it looks cool, but is it needed?

With the 4 cylinder Off-Road Pack, Cold-Weather Pack (we visit Chicago and Green Bay often), and other hand picked accessories, we're at $65k. If we add the V6, we're close at $78k, that's a pretty big difference. As you can see by our 2013 and 2007, we keep cars forever and don't trade up on a whim, so re-sale value isn't a consideration.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I got to test drive several of the new Defenders in Europe when I was traveling late last year at an LR outing. I do a LOT of off-roading, and frankly, felt comfortable with BOTH the 4-cyl and 6-cyl being able to do the type of off-road you sound like you are planning on. But, if you plan to load her up with a lot of stuff and drive any high altitudes, I would jump to the 6-cyl.
Frankly, you sound like you'd be better off with the Disco V! Your 'usage' does not even sound like it warrants a Defender...
...just sayin'

The following users liked this post:
njdefendernj (08-08-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Powerfulukltd has purchased a P300 110 and has several useful and helpful videos on youtube.

Go here and you can access their site:
Land Rover Defender 110 P300 0-60 MPH acceleration performance test. He also has a very helpful analysis video between the LR4 (D4) and Defender 110 and other interesting ones.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@Johndebus @Corgi_Express Thank you about the A pillar flapping noise. Almost didn't take delivery because of it becoming noticeable at speeds above 60. On my vehicle, you can see that the passenger A pillar molding has more space between it and the window versus the other side. My retailer ordered a replacement part for it, but if you have the service bulletin, will share it with them. Not crazy about them taking off the molding and potentially creating an issue with my heated window. If they can fill it with more of the dark gray foam material to stop that flapping noise with opening it up, I would feel much better.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:38 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I would also like a copy of the service bulletin--as I hear the same noise above 60 mph when driving.
----------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Originally Posted by njdefendernj
@Johndebus @Corgi_Express Thank you about the A pillar flapping noise. Almost didn't take delivery because of it becoming noticeable at speeds above 60. On my vehicle, you can see that the passenger A pillar molding has more space between it and the window versus the other side. My retailer ordered a replacement part for it, but if you have the service bulletin, will share it with them. Not crazy about them taking off the molding and potentially creating an issue with my heated window. If they can fill it with more of the dark gray foam material to stop that flapping noise with opening it up, I would feel much better.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:04 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Still waiting on truck assignment to transport my Defender from Maryland to Texas . . .

Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 777AIA
I got to test drive several of the new Defenders in Europe when I was traveling late last year at an LR outing. I do a LOT of off-roading, and frankly, felt comfortable with BOTH the 4-cyl and 6-cyl being able to do the type of off-road you sound like you are planning on. But, if you plan to load her up with a lot of stuff and drive any high altitudes, I would jump to the 6-cyl.
Frankly, you sound like you'd be better off with the Disco V! Your 'usage' does not even sound like it warrants a Defender...
...just sayin'
Thanks. Not many high altitude passages between New Orleans and Florida or NOLA and Chicago, but people drive rather quickly. And we're below sea level so the roads are covered with more than 2 feet of water more often than you'd think. What I'm really concerned about is whether the 4-cyl is capable and comfortable for long highway driving or if it's going to feel under powered. The v8 in our xc90 is fine, but last time we went to Austin to camp and tube, we rented a Jeep, over 60 mph it was terrible on the highway.

If they still made the LR4 would get that instead, we like the boxier look of the Defender and the price point is nearly the same as Discovery if we go 4-cyl. As for our usage, to quote my second favorite movie in the Predator series, "it's like a condom (or a gun), better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

We ordered it yesterday: 4-cyl, steel wheels, Tas Blue, white roof, off road pack, cold weather pack, expedition roof rack, and ladder, middle jump seat - so we can sit hip to hip on those road trips. $60k.

Thanks for your input. Dealer said first week of November, but if we have it before Christmas that will be awesome.

Cheers.

angelboing (08-10-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@777AIA Loving the signature with the 914s. My first vehicle was a green '73 914 with the 1.7... rust and all.

777AIA (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by njdefendernj
@777AIA Loving the signature with the 914s. My first vehicle was a green '73 914 with the 1.7... rust and all.
They are still great rides. Just starting to see some dollar value in them too! Rust and all...

Last edited by 777AIA; 08-09-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Pic added
The following 2 users liked this post by 777AIA:
brydup (08-10-2020), Tucker Woods (08-09-2020)