2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 10:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cc1999
New Octa Wheel and tire project completed today.

New 20x9 ET 30+ wheels and P275/55R20
Falken AT3W AT tires all installed.

Rides a little smoother and I swear these tires are quieter the stock 22" highway tires, which sort of surprised me.
Tires are 31.9 x 11.1
No cutting.
No rubbing.
No poke.
Near flush in stance.
No problems at all clearing the P275/55R20 Falken Wildpeak At3W AT tires.
Also worth noting, this wheel seems to be pretty much an OEM rim, right down to using the same unusual lug nut design that I order from Lucky 8 in black.
Also, the OEM LR center caps fit these rims.

Worth a Note: The Falken tires I went with had a real spec of closer to a 285 wide tire or 11.1" wide where a 275 is typically only 10.8 Wide.

These look amazing! Been wanting to get OCTA-like wheels on my 110. Where did you get these wheels?

The following 3 users liked this post by Shark:
cc1999 (09-03-2024), D110Xd (09-08-2024), Eitan (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 07:27 AM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
These look amazing! Been wanting to get OCTA-like wheels on my 110. Where did you get these wheels?
Thanks !
I ordered them from.
https://forzaaa.com

https://forzaaa.com/collections/rang...41689996755011

They can also be bought through EBay .

The following users liked this post:
Eitan (09-03-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 03:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all,

Apologies for the question this way. I tried searching through this post and read about 20 pages of it but couldn't get a clear answer.

Has anyone fit 275 / 60 R20 - (33" x 10.8", 6.5" sidewall) with no lift and if so, does access height still work? Unfortunately I need to lower in order to get my truck into the garage so access height is critical.

I guess same question for 265/60/R20 for that matter.

Thanks again

Old 09-04-2024, 03:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hurricaneharry
Hi all,

Apologies for the question this way. I tried searching through this post and read about 20 pages of it but couldn't get a clear answer.

Has anyone fit 275 / 60 R20 - (33" x 10.8", 6.5" sidewall) with no lift and if so, does access height still work? Unfortunately I need to lower in order to get my truck into the garage so access height is critical.

Thanks again
I have read where the 275/60R20 would fit, I have to think it is tight, but I would think it would fit if the offset were in that 30-40 range.

Are we talking stock rims?

Old 09-04-2024, 04:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricaneharry
Hi all,

Thanks again
Chiming in because I literally just got back from my LR dealer and asked the same question since I'm putting the 20" LR replica steel alloys on mine. I added the 1" lift rods and had them do a 4-wheel alignment. The advisor said "We have a tech who's very good with the wheel offsets and tire sizes, when it's on the rack I'll get with him." What they came back with was, the 275/60r20 should fit with some possible minor contact depending on the brand/model of the tire (since they're all a bit different). He said if there is any rub, it'll most likely be plastic from the mud flaps or just touching the inner liner.

If just going by the size calculator, the 275/60r20 is less than 1/4 inch different in total diameter from the 275/50r22 I ran on the last 110. Obviously, the tire itself is going to play the role of 'wild card' though LOL

I'm really wanting to try the new Bridgestone Dueler Ascent that just came out. Supposedly it's made for luxury SUV's that occasionally see a trail but want to maintain ride comfort.

cc1999 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 08:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to put the General Grabber AT/X's on them. Most of the fleet cars in Tahoe run them (as does my brothers Tundra) and everyone seems pleased with the performance year round.

Key for me is understanding if I can stay in access height so LL247 - I'm assuming they also meant in access?

CC1999 - yep stock rims

cc1999 (09-07-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 11:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_F
I'm playing with ideas to make this a more useful guide. A thread with 645 posts in it really isn't useful anymore. We need a table we can reference quickly, and one that can be edited.

I created one on the "talk" page of the L663 Defender entry in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:L...re%29_Guide%3F

I have no idea if that's something the wiki editors would allow on the main L663 page, but if you put it on "talk" you're just kicking around ideas.

I added data based on my Defender (110S P300 with the stock 18" GY Adventures), and everything I could find in this thread up to the 100th post in the thread.

What do you all think? If Wiki allows it to go to the main page, is it something you would want to help update? What other data is relevant/necessary? For example, I added suspension (coils/springs) since that probably changes whether certain sizes fit (some probably fit coils, but won't fit the same vehicle with air at access height).

Do we need to add a column for spacers? Wheels (OEM vs. aftermarket)? Mudflaps?

Thanks,
Mike
I agree. This thread is too cumbersome to be useful. Furthermore, I have 18" wheels so I'm not interested in info on any tire that doesn't fit an 18. I can't be the only one who would prefer the primary key to be wheel size.

I suggest the key specs are not only tire size and brand/make, but the wheel dimensions - size, width and offset (note a spacer essentially changes the offset). The problem is that any given tire may or not fit based on the selected wheel. So including wheel info is required to make the table complete.

And since the title of the thread or wiki table is "no lift" keep it so. And "fit" should be defined as no rubbing at access height for those with air suspension. Once you start introducing suspension lifts, chassis lifts, wheel well mods and low clearance bumpers, you end up with too many variables.

I'm not certain, but I believe all of the Defender variants with air have the same suspension setup, and all of the variants with coils have the same suspension setup. The brake size may be different but that's tied to the wheel choice. If I'm correct, all of the model, trim, spacer, and mudflap info other than suspension type ought to be irrelevant. If someone wants to know if a wheel will fit, maybe a note indicating if there was a brake mod done.

You asked for thoughts, so I provided them.

Chris_P_ (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 06:09 AM
Mudding
Received 138 Likes on 70 Posts

Great thoughts, thanks. Wikipedia turned out to be a dead end - the editors don’t want it to host “technical manuals” - so I’m a bit stumped for where to put the data. I suppose I could maintain a spreadsheet and post a screenshot of it when I get new data but that seems pretty inefficient.

Hoping someone else has a creative idea for where to host it.

Old 09-07-2024, 10:46 AM
Mudding

I research automotive stuff all the time, but I generally find most of my info on forums like this, or YouTube.
I don’t think I have ever used Wikipedia for much more than the occasional factory spec data.

With tires and wheels in particular I do search for vendors with detailed gallery examples of what I am interested in,
I always like to see examples of the offset and the tires I am interested in mounted and installed on the vehicle I researching.
I always have to know if there is poke or how much poke, I always try and avoid any poke, just don’t like debris getting slung down the sides of my vehicle.
But I do like and appreciate a nice wide or near flush stance with 0 poke.
‘Custom offsets website has about the most detailed searchable gallery for various wheel and tire combination, there was some Land Rover stuff.

I like your spreadsheet idea with all the compiled data.
I would think a sticky thread in this forum would be ideal, if the admins would help make it a sticky so it’s easy to find.

I have seen other Forums do something like that and update the spreadsheet in the OP as more data comes in.

Old 09-07-2024, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_F
Great thoughts, thanks. Wikipedia turned out to be a dead end - the editors don’t want it to host “technical manuals” - so I’m a bit stumped for where to put the data. I suppose I could maintain a spreadsheet and post a screenshot of it when I get new data but that seems pretty inefficient.

Hoping someone else has a creative idea for where to host it.
google drive may work. I've accessed, but not created content. I suspect you could make the spreadsheet public with read-only access and post the link at the top of this sticky thread. You could also give rights to update to a few folks so you are not burdened alone with upkeep.

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)