Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and filter change video

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 09:54 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
Since I own it, I'll probably give it one more try. I did try both of the provided tubes, but I have to say the fittings felt generally loose, so maybe some wraps of tape or something will help me out, especially since it would almost require constant pumping to keep anything moving once I got the first quart out. I guess I could also block off the end and see if it can even hold a vacuum or if it's leaking elsewhere.
I have been following this and other similar threads on changing the oil and filter, and the separate camps on the drain plug method vs. the vacuum extraction method because I do my own maintenance and was considering purchasing a MityVac. However, being old school I’m going to stick with pulling the plug and draining the old oil into a pan. Being under the vehicle gives an owner the chance to spot any other issues, and owing to the ground clearance there is no need for jacks and jackstands and the gravel and skid pans can be removed quickly with a speed driver and a few sockets and driver bits. Sorry to hear about your negative experience with the MityVac but reading your original post it seems that the suction tube may have been inserted beyond its targeted length and curved upward, not only out of the remaining oil, but snagging something else in the process, as you stated that it took 30 minutes to wriggle it free. I have read others before you measure the length of the dipstick, and transfer that measurement to the suction tube and mark it, being careful to insert the tube only as far as the mark. See if that changes your results next time. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@WTFChuck - Have you changed the oil old style? If not, when you do it - can you post pics & describe how it went? I'm interested in how that goes, where are the pitas, etc. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi everyone. New here. Picked up a 2022 P300 a few months back. Came out of a Jag F-Type S where I always used the extraction method with zero issues.

Not so with this Defender. First thing I noticed was that just checking the oil was a pain. The Dipstick is kind of cork screwed and you have to push and pull and twist just to work it down the tube. Is that just mine?

Anyhow I did get about 44 inches of tubing down but was only able to get 5 of the 7 liters of oil. How much tubing are the rest of you using?

I am good with getting under there and doing it the old fashion way but would prefer to use extraction.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:10 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by roverzfan
Hi everyone. New here. Picked up a 2022 P300 a few months back. Came out of a Jag F-Type S where I always used the extraction method with zero issues.

Not so with this Defender. First thing I noticed was that just checking the oil was a pain. The Dipstick is kind of cork screwed and you have to push and pull and twist just to work it down the tube. Is that just mine?

Anyhow I did get about 44 inches of tubing down but was only able to get 5 of the 7 liters of oil. How much tubing are the rest of you using?

I am good with getting under there and doing it the old fashion way but would prefer to use extraction.

Any thoughts appreciated.
I have an early 2023 P300 and I'll be doing mine in a week or two with a mityvac. I'll keep your comments in mind and let you know if I experience the same issue.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (04-28-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 05:07 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 23 P300, and I'd like to do my own oil changes. I have been trying to remove the oil filter, and I'm struggling using the strap wrenches that I have. For the P300 4-cylinder, what size filter wrench are folks using?

MattF (06-21-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

The filter cap I had for my Toyota worked. I believe it is a 68mm socket with 14 flutes. The first 2 turns are really stiff, I think the oring binds.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

I just unscrewed mine by hand. They are not torqued very high. Hand tighten when you’re done replacing filter too.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I just performed an oil change with the Mityvac on my '23 P300. This was the first oil service for the truck. It has 8800 miles.

It's really straight forward but a couple of observations:

The P300 requires 7L for an oil service (less than the P400) per the manual. I could only extract 6+Ls. (I'm not sure if that's all that was in it or I didn't position the tube correctly. - Next time will help me determine)
The dip stick is pretty hard to read with fresh oil.
It took 6.5L to fill so it seems like I'm leaving something behind.
I'll check again once I run it for a bit.

The most difficult part of the entire thing in getting dipstick in!!

Appreciate all the guidance from everyone on this thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by MattF:
robn (06-20-2023), WAFOX (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
I just performed an oil change with the Mityvac on my '23 P300. This was the first oil service for the truck. It has 8800 miles.

It's really straight forward but a couple of observations:

The P300 requires 7L for an oil service (less than the P400) per the manual. I could only extract 6+Ls. (I'm not sure if that's all that was in it or I didn't position the tube correctly. - Next time will help me determine)
The dip stick is pretty hard to read with fresh oil.
It took 6.5L to fill so it seems like I'm leaving something behind.
I'll check again once I run it for a bit.

Appreciate all the guidance from everyone on this thread.
I had a very similar experience with my '22 P300, I think we just have to live with not being able to get every drop out. I'd rather change the oil twice as much than have to get to the damn drain plug... Ideally there would be an access hole in the bash plate, but there is probably a good reason that there isn't one?

MattF (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 05:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
This was my experience as well after two extraction oil changes on my p300. That twisty turny dipstick is so hard to get back in -- forcing me to inch it forward with two hands so it doesn't crease in half as it scrapes it's way along -- that I thought something was wrong with my dipstick tube. Glad, but sad, to hear it's just common (amongst the P300 at least) engineering.

MattF (06-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Oil and filter change video