Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
I was concerned about road noise and was able to order the active diff without getting the off-road tires then I saw the stock off-road tires and realized they weren't THAT aggressive and would probably be fine. And then a piece of driveway gravel punctured a stock Pirelli Scorpion at only 2k miles and I really knew I'd made a bad choice. But luckily it's I've we don't have to live with forever.

BTW love the cold pack and heated windshield, especially when it snows.
How did you order the active diff without the offroad tires? My dealer said there was no way around this. I had to choose between the wheel rims I want and the diff because the wheels can't be selected with off road tires due to some silly production line limitation.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
How did you order the active diff without the offroad tires? My dealer said there was no way around this. I had to choose between the wheel rims I want and the diff because the wheels can't be selected with off road tires due to some silly production line limitation.
There was in 2020, I believe they changed it with the 2021 builds. We ordered ours in late summer/early fall and it came in at the end of the October.

I forget the details, but back then you could either get the Activ Diff as a stand alone package or maybe it was part of the two package, but either way we still got the 19" black wheels and the Pirelli Scorpions that we (thought we) wanted. I know we played with the configuration a bunch of times before figuring it all out.

The following users liked this post:
Iceman153 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
This was an option for the my20 defenders. It changed for the my21 defenders to be tied into the off road pack. For the my22 defenders you can do it if you order the XS model as you cant get the off road pack with that model.

Iceman153 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Bought mine off the lot..........wanted a Base Model with the Off-Road Packages. The only thing I would have added to build would have been Tow Package, although mine did come with one of the features included with the Tow Package...... the Advanced Off-Road Capabilities Pack. I will add a Tow Hitch receiver at one point.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

I had my built and I would not change one bit except opting for more speakers. I have the 12-way electric seats, I am the only driver of the Defender and it doesn't get moved around. I do miss having the ability to tilt the mirror down when backing up but the 10000 different camera angles make up for it. I love the cold winter pack, the heated windshield is a game-changer for me, never had it before and now I will never get a vehicle without it. Trio, helped me lock on getting the rear diff and I am glad I did. You cant add it later and when you need it, it is there. I love the sound system but I went with basic. I do wish I did more speakers because I just want a more complete sound. I am glad I didn't get the pano roof but this weekend, we had incredible spring weather, and wished I could have taken in all the sun. The trade-off, I don't have to worry about cracking the roof, rumor has it is close to 4 grand to replace it. I also did the tow package, again might never need it but it is nice to have when I do

The following 2 users liked this post by ADVAW8S:
Kev M (04-19-2021), TrioLRowner (04-20-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 09:16 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick4
I didn't do the whole tow package, only added the hitch. I don't actually tow, but the hitch is always a must have, bike racks, recovery point, who knows.

I think it was only a $650 add, instead of the whole pack. Just a thought...
which hitch did you get ? Thanks

Old 04-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
I had my built and I would not change one bit except opting for more speakers. I have the 12-way electric seats, I am the only driver of the Defender and it doesn't get moved around. I do miss having the ability to tilt the mirror down when backing up but the 10000 different camera angles make up for it. I love the cold winter pack, the heated windshield is a game-changer for me, never had it before and now I will never get a vehicle without it. Trio, helped me lock on getting the rear diff and I am glad I did. You cant add it later and when you need it, it is there. I love the sound system but I went with basic. I do wish I did more speakers because I just want a more complete sound. I am glad I didn't get the pano roof but this weekend, we had incredible spring weather, and wished I could have taken in all the sun. The trade-off, I don't have to worry about cracking the roof, rumor has it is close to 4 grand to replace it. I also did the tow package, again might never need it but it is nice to have when I do

hah! Don’t have mine yet, but I think I have a bloody similar spec. I did add the upgraded sound system, but have active diff and towing package. We shall see!

Old 04-26-2021, 12:39 AM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

As stated, get the offroad packs, both and tow pack. It willll help resale value as well. I don't have cold weather pack but I live in California. The defroster is amazing for me but I do like the heated windshield on my range rovers. I didn't want the sunroof and it's hard to find one. I know many including my mother in law who have broken sunroof on LR3/lr4s. I have a full length roof rack so will never use it anyway.

Magnumforc (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 04:37 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BRW110
Mine has the Cold Climate pack as well, and I will say that if I were building from scratch (I was able to buy off the lot), I might opt to not get it. I find the heating elements in the windshield are more visible than I would like. Especially at night with oncoming headlights, it makes those lit up areas look a little blurry. That being said, my wife hasn’t commented on it at all, so it might just be something that my eyes are more sensitive to than others. I haven’t read others complaining about it either.

Otherwise looks like you have covered a lot of good options in your build.
I had the heated windshield in two previous JLR products and you are spot on about the blurry. You can actually see the micro wires in the glass so if you have good eyesight it can be bothersome. Thus no cold weather pack for our new Defenders, although spouse misses the heated steering wheel. .

Old 05-17-2021, 02:10 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi mate. I noted in your thread about your P90, you said you had the cloth seats. Are they comfortable and supportive? I'm debating cloth or leather. I prefer cloth in general, but I want to know if they provide good support or they're cheaper seats with no cushion and side bolster support.

Thanks

Simon

Quick Reply: Option Regrets