Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE - questions about ordering process

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by BBS
I have the towing pack on mine, and I just checked the configurable terrain response setting and the locking diff is selectable there.
The easiest way to confirm you have the rear locking differential is to put the 4WD selection to Auto and select the 4x4 screen and drive the vehicle. You should see two green circles -- one at the center and one at the rear. Drive the vehicle up a hill off - road, straight ahead and see if the rear one shifts to brown and the rounded outside arrow rotates. If you then turn the vehicle, the rear brown circle should turn green, as the rear diff. unlocks during turning.

I believe I saw a video of a Defender without the electronic rear diff. and the screen did NOT show the green circle at the rear.

I agree the rear diff. ordering is really a mess -- and not fair. The error has been known and discussed for months -- but not addressed.

I am certain that if you order the off-road pack you will get the tires and the rear diff. As a note, I have those off-road tires, they are really quiet and they are going to wear out quickly, from what I can see. So, you do not lose or gain much by having to have the standard off-road tires.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 01-27-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by sna77
Hi,
For those that have ordered a Defender from a US Land Rover dealer... Any tips to help with the process? I spent a week working through all the options we wanted on the crummy LR site. I sent the build link and detailed, personalized brochure to the dealership after a number of back and forth emails. I'm a bit concerned the dealerships level of detail isn't up to mine... I'm in Boston, MA FWIW...

This is what I asked for:

This is the dealer order form / contract they want me to sign:

I emailed the salesman to ask why some things were left out... FWIW, The math does work out if you subtract the dealer installed options: $79,599 - $1844 = $77,755

Hi!
The dealer installed options don’t show up on the order. I want to ensure when we pick this thing up on day one, it’s fully configured and ready to go.

These dealer installed options are missing:
- wheel arches
- air compressor
- click and hang coat hook
- Rear bumper hooks (x2) LR139442

Also, there is a lot more detail on the LR website build than shows up on this order form… It has me concerned that something might be missing. Comparing the build link I sent vs the order form, I don’t see the following (in addition to the dealer installed options above):

- body colored roof
- sliding panoramic roof
- black roof rails
- center console with armrest
- black headliner
- leather, heated steering wheel
- Electronic Active differential
- few others, those were the major ones...

I don't feel great about this answer:

Yes, those are all dealer-installed items that we would order to have here for your vehicle’s delivery. Once we have it slotted then I can see about getting parts ordered.
Some of these items are on back-order as well right now so hopefully those will clear up soon. The Air Compressor, for example, we have yet to have one of those arrive yet.
The other items you listed are all standard features of an X-Dynamic HSE so they are all wrapped up in the HSE trim level. Once we get the confirmation from Land Rover more (not all, but definitely more) is detailed in their order system. The heated steering wheel is the only item that isn’t standard for that trim and it’s in the Cold Climate Pack, so it’s part of that package instead of being delineated individually.
I’ll send over the factory specification once they slot it for you. Sound good?

Any advice from anyone that has ordered a Defender is appreciated. tx
I see your concern regarding the body color roof, sliding panoramic, and roof rails. All are coming up as zero cost, pre-selected options, just like the rear differential.

But, none of these are noted in the x-dynamic HSE list of what is standard to that upgrade. A mess.

By any chance did you try to spec out the x-dynamic SE and see if that ordering approach makes more sense? I tried it and it seems to solve your panoramic roof ordering problem, at least. And Umbertob has shared with you the reality of the rear differential ordering approach which is needed.

Relative to the comments in green, yes they are accurate. No one, including the dealers, know what your exact model will contain in detail until the factory plans your build. They will send pages of detail for you to sign, then.

No one anywhere seems to know when the dealer accessories will be stocked. That is delaying many of us....

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 01-27-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Body color roof and roof rails are standard on all models.

The sliding panoramic roof is standard on the HSE x dynamic.

Last edited by Moretti; 01-27-2021 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
angelboing (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a resource out there that gives you complete insight into the different features and options across the various trim levels? I'm in the same boat as OP and am trying to nail down exactly what I want but keep getting the feeling that I'm missing something. For instance, my dealer told me that I could get a white roof on the X-Dynamic HSE, but that turned out to be false. I'd hate to order a vehicle and then be unpleasantly surprised when it showed up.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by walt_mink
Is there a resource out there that gives you complete insight into the different features and options across the various trim levels? I'm in the same boat as OP and am trying to nail down exactly what I want but keep getting the feeling that I'm missing something. For instance, my dealer told me that I could get a white roof on the X-Dynamic HSE, but that turned out to be false. I'd hate to order a vehicle and then be unpleasantly surprised when it showed up.
The online builder wont allow you to have a white roof on the X dynamics. Just guessing, but I think that is due to the color accents changing to the satin silicon color. So you cant get the black defender letters because of that as well.

Did your dealer find out their error on the white roof when they tried to put in the order?

Last edited by Moretti; 01-27-2021 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

The only suggestion I can give is go to the dealership with your custom brochure and walk through the ordering process; that is what I did when I ordered MY20. My guy pulled up the ordering system and we went line by line with me right in front of him. In the end, he printed out the order sheet and we reviewed it to make sure it was correct. I then put the order in and had several weeks to make changes like installing the 3 row cooling despite having 5 seats. We did this for the dogs. If they are not willing to do that then go to another dealership. Head up to Land Rover Portsmouths if the Norwood, Sudbury, Hanover or Peabody is being a pain. I have family in Portsmouth and the dealer was super nice to my brother in law when I had him head to dealer to take a look at the color of a Defender. I was ordering Tasman Blue and had no clue what the color looked like IRL.I was having second thoughts and my build finalization was the next day. They knew they were not getting a sale but they spent time with him even though they were about to close for the night. .

I'm in Seattle.

Last edited by ADVAW8S; 01-27-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Moretti
The online builder wont allow you to have a white roof on the X dynamics. Just guessing, but I think that is due to the color accents changing to the satin silicon color. So you cant get the black defender letters because of that as well.

Did your dealer find out their error on the white roof when they tried to put in the order?
No, he wasn't entering it into the system - just promising me that it could be done. That's just one example I could think of, but am also curious what tradeoffs and exchanges are being made between each trim level. I keep finding little details that differ between them and would like to have the full list if it's out there.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:04 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by walt_mink
No, he wasn't entering it into the system - just promising me that it could be done. That's just one example I could think of, but am also curious what tradeoffs and exchanges are being made between each trim level. I keep finding little details that differ between them and would like to have the full list if it's out there.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
When you go to the builder it shows you the difference for each sub model. Its broken down by category. Additionally I will link this PDF that shows you the changes in standard equipment that my dealer gave me.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
angelboing (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:06 PM
4th Gear

When you go to the builder it shows you the difference for each sub model. Its broken down by category. Additionally I will link this PDF that shows you the changes in standard equipment that my dealer gave me.
Thanks very much - I appreciate that.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

this is great, thanks!

angelboing (01-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Ordering a Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE - questions about ordering process