Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P300 VS P400 Highway Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

TCole,
Thank you for your comments and feedback! I took your advice and stayed persistent on ordering a 2021 and magically after I threatened to find another dealer if they couldn’t make it happen, they called me yesterday and had one build available, but had to get there before the end of next week with a deposit and sit with them to order to my specs. The website is still 2020 build specs, so some things changed. I ended driving to the dealer this this morning and ordered the P400, just felt better with the extra power, like you, I will not be towing anything, but wanted the extra HP. Can’t remember the specific build date, but saying a delivery date of 1/28/2021. I am beyond excited to get this car! It’s so nice! I have until 10/23 to make any changes I want, except engine. I do have a question, I added the black 20” rims with standard tires (I think all terrain?). I was told they 2 other tire options, something more off-road aggressive? The salesman is going to send me the two options and extra price. Wondering if you chose a different tire? Or if anyone can comment? I live in northeast Ohio, so will be seeing all weather conditions, especially snow and ice.
thanks everyone and cheers!

Old 10-10-2020, 12:55 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Congrats. If you ordered the off-road pack, you'll receive GY Wrangler Adventure All Terrains included in the package, which are "mild" off-road tires, a good compromise between all-season and more aggressive A/Ts. Otherwise, the standard tires are all-seasons (by Michelin or Pirelli, I believe), same size but more pavement friendly and a hair quieter on the road. You can order the Goodyear off-road tires on their own when you pick your wheels, but at that point - for just a few hundred dollars more - you might as well get them as part of the off-road pack, which includes the rear e-differential and torque vectoring by braking as well, making your Defender more capable off-road (besides the slightly more aggressive look and off-road capabilities of the tires themselves.)

The third option, which Land Rover calls "Extreme off-road" tires, are the GY Wrangler Duratracs, which are definitely the most aggressive treads for off-roading, but unless things have changed for the 2021 model years, those tires are only available as a dealer installed option after delivery, and they are a very expensive option at that. None of those tires are as capable as true winter tires on snow and ice, but there are options in the aftermarket in the same size as the stockers.

Last edited by umbertob; 10-10-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RSNSG4
TCole,
Thank you for your comments and feedback! I took your advice and stayed persistent on ordering a 2021 and magically after I threatened to find another dealer if they couldn’t make it happen, they called me yesterday and had one build available, but had to get there before the end of next week with a deposit and sit with them to order to my specs. The website is still 2020 build specs, so some things changed. I ended driving to the dealer this this morning and ordered the P400, just felt better with the extra power, like you, I will not be towing anything, but wanted the extra HP. Can’t remember the specific build date, but saying a delivery date of 1/28/2021. I am beyond excited to get this car! It’s so nice! I have until 10/23 to make any changes I want, except engine. I do have a question, I added the black 20” rims with standard tires (I think all terrain?). I was told they 2 other tire options, something more off-road aggressive? The salesman is going to send me the two options and extra price. Wondering if you chose a different tire? Or if anyone can comment? I live in northeast Ohio, so will be seeing all weather conditions, especially snow and ice.
Glad to help. I haven’t come across anyone wishing they had gone with a less-powerful-slower engine after getting the bigger option (unless mpg was the real main concern to begin with). Like another post have mentioned, off-road package gets you the off-road tires. I stayed with the all-terrain tires since most of my commute will be on southeast Michigan highways. Winter tires are actually ideal for snow/ice but the AT have better rating on ice and/or hard-packed-snow the unplowed highways and roads can experience here in comparison to the off-road (better for mud/gravel/rock-crawling etc). Although with all the “assist” the car has built-in I’m sure either will be just fine. I have also read the Off-roads are usually a bit louder and wear faster (I have no actual experience with off-road tires). For the wheels, make sure you see all the different wheel options on the 2021 build-site before you finalize. Both the 2020 and 2021 build sites are up so make sure you’re on the 2021 site. Unfortunately, I have learned the dealers have very little knowledge about the specifics on the new defender. This defender2020 forum and the Facebook- “all new defender owners group” are a much better resource on the car. I switched to 2021 in hopes that some of the issues owners are reporting would be worked out on the 2021. Enjoy the P400! Mine is scheduled for delivery on 1/1/2021.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise

Newbie here, thinking about a 4 cylinder 110. However, local dealer only has 6 cylinder available to drive. While that’s a little more than I’m willing to spend with the few options I want, I was impressed with the smoothness of the drive.

My concern is not in overall power or responsiveness, rather refinement of the powertrain. I’m not crazy about the buzzy, rougher nature of a lot of turbo 4s I have driven. Any feedback on whether the Defender 2.0 sounds buzzy and labored when driving around at city speeds? Thanks

Old 10-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I just returned from a highway and city drive in my P300 2020 powered 110 with two persons and a full load of hardware store stuff and groceries. It is definitely not a buzzy, quick revving, rough, whiny, free-spinning,4 cylinder turbo. It has a flat torque curve and the twin turbos are not discernible -- no lag. I continue to call the ride and power availability very stately -- and very smooth -- especially the gear shifts. Refined?, I think so (but not as much as a Range Rover line product). But, certainly, you will not feel the power and acceleration of the extra 100 HP of the P400.

I recall the gas mileage of the four is actually the same (or maybe slightly worse?) than the P400 mild hybrid. I bought mine to save up-front cost, because the 4 cylinder Ingeniums are known quantities and to enable the 18 inch wheels for off-road work. I don't necessarily need the P300 to tow.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I really am not concerned with quick acceleration as much as avoiding an unrefined, whiny and noisy engine that is buzzing away in an intrusive manner.

I can’t justify the extra $ for the 6 cylinder car.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Akcooke. The P300 will not disappoint you. I test drove with the Radio off and the engine did not stand out to me as loud or to be noisy. I also didn’t notice any excessive noise at 75 MPH in the vehicle. . If you are not concerned with quick acceleration, which this car has good get up and go! I think it will be a good fit for you.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling

totally random

1.). Anyone have any experience with the activity key?

Old 10-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

totally random

1.). Anyone have any experience with the activity key?
I clicked on that option back in February for my factory ordered 2020. Even though the car could be configured with it at the time, I was later told by the dealer that's the one accessory they could not confirm for my model year. Later on, the Activity Key was removed from the online configurator completely. It may now be available for 2021s, but as far as I know it was a bust for 2020 owners, not sure why. I would have liked to have it and hope I may be able to add it later as a dealer installed accessory, but am not holding my breath.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

TCole,
Also, live in NE Ohio. The Defender looks proper with off road tires, $350 uncharge. Visually a no brainer for a Defender. My 4Runner has 275 BFG's, have 54K on them. Test drove P400 with off-road tires very smooth, couldn't even tell they were off road. Great ride (air suspension version). Can def tell on my 4Runner, but that is different ride all together.

Quick Reply: P300 VS P400 Highway Driving