Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 252 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mercurymorris
I don't think it's the A pillar. I road in passenger seat for quite a while with ear and eye to windshield. I was originally suspicious of something loose inside or maybe outside trim on the pillar. Now, I'm quite certain it's actually the passenger wiper flapping in the wind. around 60 MPH, the wiper starts lifting off the glass and then slapping back down.

Maybe it's still in the pillar and this is a coincidence. But I think this is it. I could watch the wiper flapping around and here the ticking sound as it looked like the wiper was hitting the windshield.

If this is the case, it seems we need a little "spoiler" that can clip onto the wiper arm and force it down at speed.

One thing I didn't try yet is running the wipers at speed when I'm hearing the ticking sound to see if it stops when they run.
This is interesting, I'll have to keep an eye (or ear) on it. I thought it was coming from the A pillar but if it's the wiper seems like it should be an easier fix. In my case though it seems to come from the passenger side, wouldn't it be coming from both sides if it were the wipers? Hmm. I know when I go through the car wash the blowers at the end lift the wipers up off the windshield slightly so I know enough air will definitely do this. These are monster wiper arms. Not sure if they're all like that or just those of us with the cold climate package.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting MarkZ. I tried everything to locate where the cover was rubbing. Based on the location of your rivet it might be the overlap area where that flange on the cover meets the A pillar. My problem seems to have been resolved by the replacement parts (I posted earlier in this thread) but if I notice a recurrence of the noise I'm going to focus on this area...

Do you think a wedge of the felt tape between the parts in the area of the rivet might work as well?

Old 08-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dongorenato

Complete plastic start falling apart

This just blow off on the highway
Dose it happen to anyone on new defender
That lower part you are missing- I noticed it's just kind of snapped on. I gave mine a little tug and it pulled apart. It's not a good design...

Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator42
Interesting MarkZ. I tried everything to locate where the cover was rubbing. Based on the location of your rivet it might be the overlap area where that flange on the cover meets the A pillar. My problem seems to have been resolved by the replacement parts (I posted earlier in this thread) but if I notice a recurrence of the noise I'm going to focus on this area...

Do you think a wedge of the felt tape between the parts in the area of the rivet might work as well?
I think it could work for a while. But without the rivet I would still worry about eventual failure. We just took a 3000 mile trip with no issue at all. I am so glad I made the repair permanent!

Old 08-07-2021, 10:05 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Concern about rivet solution

I have two concerns with this option. First, when you said you’d drill a hole for the rivet, we’re you drilling through plastic only? Or steel as well? If steel, now you’ve exposed raw unfinished steel to the elements and I’d expect it will rust quickly. Second, how will you remove that shroud when you need a new windshield. I’ve only had mine about three months and I’ve already had a rock crack my windshield. New one is on a two-week back order.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mercurymorris
I have two concerns with this option. First, when you said you’d drill a hole for the rivet, we’re you drilling through plastic only? Or steel as well? If steel, now you’ve exposed raw unfinished steel to the elements and I’d expect it will rust quickly. Second, how will you remove that shroud when you need a new windshield. I’ve only had mine about three months and I’ve already had a rock crack my windshield. New one is on a two-week back order.
Of course I had to drill through the pillar itself. It’s why it works. As far as rust goes, that won’t be a problem. There are all kinds of holes drilled in metal parts on these and other cars. How about rust caused by foam that is used to retrofit and then never dries out?

If it ever has to be removed it can be drilled out in about 5 seconds. Bigger diameter drill bit on surface of rivet and be re-riveted easily. It was nice going on a 3000+ mile trip and not worrying about whether or not we have enough duct tape to keep the thing from flying off, which is what we were doing to keep it on.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 06:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2021 Defender and have been experiencing this issue since day one. I took it into the dealer and explained the issue to them, but they did not do enough to try and understand/fix the issue. I took it upon myself to fix it. I removed the passenger A-pillar windshield molding and took the car for a drive going 75-80mph which is always when you hear the noise. The noise is completely gone. Obviously the issue has to do with the passenger windshield molding rubbing against the body of the car when it is installed. I'm going to order some felt tape or anti-squeak tape to provide a cushion for when this molding is installed so I never have to hear this noise again. If any of you have an idea of what tape/felt is best to use please let me know. Hope this helps others out there. FYI. It's very easy to remove the molding yourself. I wouldn't waste time and try to have the dealer fix this.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Dmedenas - You now deserve to go over to Etsy and buy one of these. In fact every time a Customer has to solve the issue themselves, the local JLR dealer should have to give you one!

Old 08-09-2021, 07:51 PM
Overlanding

@GrouseK9 - Haha. That's a funny decal!

Old 08-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Moretti
Anyone with a 2021 year model having the sound?
Yes, I have been dealing with it too. Have a 2021. Passenger A-Pillar making that noise. I removed the A-pillar molding from the car and took it for a drive. Noise gone. Obviously this plastic molding needs to be re-done because it doesn’t sit properly and causes this noise we are all hearing.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed