Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by woo90
Good luck with fixing this. My 2020 Defender P400 does this.

4 visits and “we fixed it” from Jaguar Land Rover West Houston and it is most certainly not fixed.

The flapping/crackling noise comes from the top-right area of the windscreen at freeway speed.

At lower speeds, the doors make a body flex noise.

At certain speeds, I hear all of the above and it is absolutely maddening.

I am finding that my dealer is completely worthless and disinterested in fixing it. Can Land Rover do something?
Here is what I believe you are hearing at lower speeds:

This rubber piece is loose and rubbing against the metal. At certain temperatures I notice it gets worse in my car. I'm going to order some 1mm thick felt and apply it to both sides of the metal. I'd rather not put any glue. This should fix the body flex noise you are describing. I will keep you updated once I try it out myself.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you!! Yes, temperature seems to worsen the issue, as I have noticed with it being near 100F/38C, the problem worsens.

Amazing after 4 attempts the dealership can't figure out this one - despite a service bulletin.

I'll give this a try.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

FWIW, I have the noise exclusively on the passenger side and performed the 'fix' above. While I admit that the trim makes a similar 'crackling' noise when you manipulate it, this fix did nothing to remedy my car's problem. Far be it from me to imply that a Land Rover product couldn't have multiple issues, so your mileage may vary.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:51 AM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDanSRQ
had a couple 2 hr highway drives and decided to give the dealer a chance to fix it. The noise is just too annoying to live with forever.
Appointment is in a couple weeks so I’ll reply back with their results…
dealership ordered new trim pieces for me so I’m in wait and see mode.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:05 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long time LR owner, but new to the forum. I bought a 21 D90 4cyl and it made all of the noises, plus a few more. Window rattle, interior plastic rattle, and the crackling noise at speed. Took it to the dealership several times, showed them the bulletin, and they were still unable to fix any of it. I swapped the car out for a 22 D90 P400. Overall, car is quieter but crackling noise is still there at 80mph especially in crosswind. Can confirm that both 22 D90's they had made this noise on the highway.

Guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I waited so long for this vehicle to come out that I decided to stick with it. That, and there was literally nothing else to buy at the dealership. Just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their contributions here, it's been super helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Finally got this done today. Dealer had to (1) order the new versions; (2) paint to match my defender then (3) install today. Tech said that part of the fix is also that they glue the covers down, where the old design was not glued.

i only had tapping in the passenger side but the dealer went ahead and replaced both. Process took 6 weeks with all the wait times.

will report back after my next highway drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigDanSRQ:
Chief65 (09-23-2021), PatriotDefender (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Overlanding

@BigDanSRQ

That's wonderful. Keep us updated if you hear any of the noise once you test it back on the highway.

Did the dealership have any type of service bulletin or did they know that this was an issue? Because I have reached out to many dealerships and no one I speak to has any idea.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:07 PM
Drifting

I’ll shoot them an email and see if I can get details…

Old 09-23-2021, 05:14 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BigDanSRQ
I’ll shoot them an email and see if I can get details…
That would be greatly appreciated. I took my passenger pillar off and put some high density foam and the noise was reduced by about 80%. I’m going to add thicker foam this weekend so it’s completely gone. If the dealer has a fix I would rather they do something, but I can’t rely on them.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:14 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am going in Monday to get a windshield replaced. There is a new bulletin which has a new "repair kit" for the A Pillar that just got posted on LR Topix. Will let you know - but ask your dealer about the new bulletin. They can pull up easily now.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed