2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I think the NEW A pillar fix has come down to the capability of the dealer to install it. RedAustin found a dealer who could make it adhere -- I am not yet there with the same, new fix attempted twice and failed.

My next need is to change the transmission fluid, as I am towing and am past 30K miles. I hesitate to have any dealer where I am presently located (Massachusetts) attempt it, even after I walk them through the directions (I am afraid they will mix up the 3.0L versus 2.0L steps).

I think I will take it down south and have LR Asheville do the work?

Enjoy !!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

The JLR dealer in Massachusetts today finished their final attempt at fixing my driver's side A pillar -- 3.5 months after their last attempt. It is their final attempt -- I will fix it myself if it comes off again.

There are reportedly completely new part numbers that are being utilized, except for the lower trim piece (which I believe has been manually modified for it to fit).

On a better note, the outsized plastic trim pieces on the rear doors were replaced under warranty and the doors open easier now.

Enjoy !

November 30th 2022 parts list used under warranty.

I hope it works this time.

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
ficklma1 (12-02-2022), GrouseK9 (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Has anyone seen the white 110 for sale on Cars & Bids right now? (great defender... ). It is quite amusing to look at the photos at the end of the listing, the poor owner took it into a LR dealer and complained / commented on the pillars rattling around at least 3-4 times. Every time they said "cannot duplicate customer complaint" until the last time, in which they fixed it. And this was in 2022 (but it started in 2020/2021 I believe...). Still a bit shocked that LR dealers don't just replace these parts the first time someone says "it's making noise"

Last edited by nashvegas; 11-30-2022 at 10:37 AM.
EasternShoreDefender (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

A quick update from me - my A-pillar fix is holding on strong. I actually forgot about this issue until seeing this thread in the forum.

ficklma1 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Pillar snaps off on Florida Turnpike

Happy to see this forum topic. I have had the A Pillar replaced once already. Now the rattling was louder and on just flipped off on the road and I had to stall and tear it off so I could keep driving.

Now I’ll pass this along to dealership, as there has been no info from them about this being a known issue.

A-Pillar decides to snap off on the Florida turnpike. Go around number two for new Pillars (on back order) and now I have some info from this group to share with dealer. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy is on the money. I took mine to the Charleston Dealer after noticing the issue the day after I bought the vehicle, preowned from their dealership. After a service for this issue, the windshield sand/rain noise kept happening. I live over an hour from the dealership so I thought I would try a remedy myself. After reading this post and a following post, I got some foam stripping from Wal-mart. I was unable to get 1/8 inch high density foam, but I got some 3/8 inch thick foam stripping from WalMart that is meant for home window seals. I did as another poster said and left the A-Pillar alone and tucked the foam tape underneath the weather stripping (between the weather stripping and the window.). I took off on a drive over 60 mph and NO MORE window rain tapping noises!!!!

Old 01-16-2023, 10:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyDoc2020
This guy is on the money. I took mine to the Charleston Dealer after noticing the issue the day after I bought the vehicle, preowned from their dealership. After a service for this issue, the windshield sand/rain noise kept happening. I live over an hour from the dealership so I thought I would try a remedy myself. After reading this post and a following post, I got some foam stripping from Wal-mart. I was unable to get 1/8 inch high density foam, but I got some 3/8 inch thick foam stripping from WalMart that is meant for home window seals. I did as another poster said and left the A-Pillar alone and tucked the foam tape underneath the weather stripping (between the weather stripping and the window.). I took off on a drive over 60 mph and NO MORE window rain tapping noises!!!!
Do you have pics of the materials you used and location of installation? Both sides? I have the same intermittent sand/rain noise at 70+ speeds mainly when it is very windy and for the most part got used to it and left it alone. I am however inclined to give it a try at your suggestion and see if it goes away entirely. FWIW my dealer already performed the A pillar TSB and replaced both sides with the newly designed parts. Much appreciated.

gurka01 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 02:17 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Can you post pics of the “tucked the foam tape underneath the weather stripping (between the weather stripping and the window.)”.

you didn’t force the foam under the A-Pillar cover?

ficklma1 (01-29-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyDoc2020
This is genius and absolutely works! I stuffed some 1/4" window foam in between the pillar and windshield using a plastic putty knife. Made sure it was all behind that thin strip of rubber that contacts the glass. Pillar is now silent at any speed. Thank you so much!

Old 02-13-2023, 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
This is genius and absolutely works! I stuffed some 1/4" window foam in between the pillar and windshield using a plastic putty knife. Made sure it was all behind that thin strip of rubber that contacts the glass. Pillar is now silent at any speed. Thank you so much!
So, which one is it? "underneath the weather stripping (between the weather stripping and the window.)" like GreyDoc says or "between pillar and windshield"? Can you post pics of where did you insert it and the material you used? Did it solve the sand/rain noise coming from the top of the windshield behind the rear-view mirror?

Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed