2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Winching
Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

My 2020 Defender has been to the dealer 3 times to get the tapping/crackling noise from the A pillar fixed without much success. The noise level is better than what it was, but it is still there and very annoying. 900 miles on the odometer, out of which 450 were driven to have this issue fixed.
I am curious to hear from those who were able to get this fixed, and what their dealer did different than what is in the service bulletin addressing this issue.
Thankfully, the Meridian system is awesome and can mask that noise with the turn of the volume ****!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator42
new windshield bold cover - one side - left - paint required

I have the factory wrap. Anyone experienced how their dealer handles that repair?
Update: My dealer authorized the full repair and ordered parts. They did say wrapped parts are available. Not sure how that will work if the cover is unpainted. We'll see...

They did seem familiar with the fix so JLR has gotten the word out or dealers are gaining experience fixing new stock coming in...

Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting. I asked my dealer about whether there was a new part but they insisted it was just tape. I really don't want a painted part on a new car...but tape isn't working so far. Attempt 2 to fix. You would think LR would have this figured out in the factory by now.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious is this A Pillar noise manifesting itself as coming from under dash? Sounds are sometimes tough like water leaks. Lucky so far I guess but then again I have not had too many dry days the last month.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:01 PM
Mudding

Noise isn't coming from the dash - certainly wind noise. Only notice at above 55mph. Sometimes if there is a cross wind - you can hear it too at lower speeds.

The following users liked this post:
Freemey (12-13-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a new 2020.5 110 X and have the same crackling issues at speed. Unfortunately, my nearest dealer is about an hour away so i’ll, probably wait until it needs service. The Meridian sound system is good at covering the noise!

Old 12-22-2020, 07:44 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost trim pieces

Originally Posted by mgreenawald
Quick update - no fix from my dealer yet. Apparently all parts are backordered - 1st date was August now saying mid September. Pretty annoying.

I filed a report with the NHTSA as I thought this was dangerous and I am frustrated with not getting anyone's attention at LR locally or abroad. I got a call from a representative of the NHTSA about the pieces flying off when driving. They asked if I knew of any other instances; I told them I am not aware that most issues are the popping sounds coming from the pillars. If there are others with the pieces coming off please ping me.

Thx.
I have a 2020 110X and lost side trim piece where storage box goes on passenger side with less that 200 miles on car on highway, also have the flapping noise on passenger side lower windshield,

also had a suspension fault and been waiting 5 weeks for part, part came in and didn’t fix issue, ready to be bought out of car...

Old 12-22-2020, 07:57 PM
Mudding

I had a defective trim piece around the window of rear door. Been 6 weeks and still waiting for the part... First fix for windshield noise on passenger side A pillar going in for round 2. Haven't had your issue though.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I had my Defender serviced in November to repair the A--Pillar noise, but it did not fix the noise. Then yesterday my A-Pillar blew right off while driving. I was driving on the NJ Turnpike at highway speeds and there were extremely heavy cross winds and I could hear it rattling more than usual against the pressure of the cross winds, and then off she went. Luckily it did not hit any of the vehicles behind me (it landed on the turnpike and then bounced onto the shoulder). I notified the dealer and he is ordering the parts. Appointment is for Jan 11. No more rattle now that is is gone....haha. But it is embarrassing; shouldn't have happened after the alleged repair.

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 12-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Mudding

I wonder if the anti squeak tape is not really the answer. I also get the noise at lower cross winds than driving 55mph. Could simply be the way it is attached...?

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed