2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 09:42 AM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have an update when the permanent fix will be in place? I am so frustrated!!! I didn’t hear the noise on the test drive but heard it on my way home after signing my name on the dotted line for $80K. I told the dealer to take it back. They said “sure.... we’ll give you $63K for it.” Seriously JLR? I should have bought a Toyota.

The following users liked this post:
Harry Medford (01-28-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It has taken me months to get into my local LR dealer for an appointment. Miserable experience. Car delivered in mid September. Went in for first time post delivery in early Nov after waiting 6 weeks for an appointment. They had to order door trim and one inside trim part that came defective on delivery. Also first attempt to fix A pillar noise on passenger side. They attempted fix on pillar - noise is better but still there. Supposedly used anti squeak tape per bulletin. For the parts need, it took 8 weeks to get parts - came Dec 28th. Made appointment next day and told I need to wait 6 weeks for another appointment. Car going in Feb 2 - so we will see what they suggest on Pillar. I have not heard anything yet that has solved the noise on 2020.5 models.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I brought my vehicle in several months ago to fix the A-pillar sound. The rattle continued, and on Christmas eve the A-pillar actually flew off on a very windy day with strong cross winds. I brought it in on January 11 to get it fixed a second time (at a NJ dealership). They kept the vehicle for 8 days. I picked it up Tuesday and this time around it does seem like the sound is gone (but will continue to monitor it).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020 Defender 110 First Edition Indus Silver (Current)
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White (Current)
2015 RRS Autobiography Fuji White (Former)
2011 RRS Supercharged Fuji White (Former)
2008 LR2 Fuji White (Former)

Old 01-24-2021, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Did the dealer tell you what they did differently? I am curious if LR actually redesigned a part to prevent the noise. Seems worse on cross wind that straight on wind. Given your part flew off - maybe they have a new part?

Old 01-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

No they did not. Also, when my A-pillar flew off it did ding the side of my vehicle (very small dent). Waiting to hear if they will fix that for free. The dealer emailed the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Hoosbest
Did the dealer tell you what they did differently? I am curious if LR actually redesigned a part to prevent the noise. Seems worse on cross wind that straight on wind. Given your part flew off - maybe they have a new part?

Old 01-24-2021, 10:05 AM
Mudding

Boy if the dealer nor LR make that right - I would go crazy.. It has been 10 months for this issue and they haven't resolved it/ The lack of dealer knowledge on anything related to this car is suprisingly bad. While I have owned virtually every brand and love the Defender - Land Rover is so behind BMW and Audi and Mercedes and others on simple stuff. And that is not saying much because some of those brands are close to perfect either.

Old 01-25-2021, 04:57 AM
Winching
Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

This is definitely a LR issue and they should fess up and issue recall letters to affected owners once a serious remedy is in place. The tape is obviously not a permanent fix, if it is even a temporary band aid. My Defender will be going to the dealer for a fourth time. With A pillars flying off on highways, this could also be a potentially costly liability issue for LR. Dealers should not be blames here as they did not build nor engineer this car. Please know that dealers are as frustrated as the owners dealing with this.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Happened on the drive home from the dealership after picking it up. It is much worse on windy days. I also have a crackle coming from the headliner just above the driver's side B pillar. its driving me nuts!

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (01-28-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Medford
Yes! Happened on the drive home from the dealership after picking it up. It is much worse on windy days. I also have a crackle coming from the headliner just above the driver's side B pillar. its driving me nuts!
Look on youtube channel Off-Road-Adventure for the "Annoying Door/Trim Rattle", a lot of us have had the same B-Pillar issue and this is the likely culprit.

The following 2 users liked this post by merrion13:
gavazzi@mac.com (02-21-2021), Harry Medford (02-07-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't buy the new Defender

I regret buying a 2020 Defender 110. My windshield cracks at about 50 MPH so I can not take it on the freeway. I am seeking a legal remedy as the dealer, as nice as they are, have no solution.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed