Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 07:05 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
What exactly was the problem you were having and reported to the dealer that ultimately led to this fix?
I informed the dealer in driving it home from delivery I heard the wind rattle/cracking noise on the highway. I was lucky I guess- I worked with a high volume dealer and they were already aware of the problem. They did the tape fix but the final repair was done at a different dealer because I covid relocated. The second dealer was well aware of the fix as well...

I was lucky I guess...

Old 03-13-2021, 08:16 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator42
I informed the dealer in driving it home from delivery I heard the wind rattle/cracking noise on the highway. I was lucky I guess- I worked with a high volume dealer and they were already aware of the problem. They did the tape fix but the final repair was done at a different dealer because I covid relocated. The second dealer was well aware of the fix as well...

I was lucky I guess...
Did it sound like sifting sand, coming from top of windshield where it met the headliner?

Old 03-13-2021, 11:26 AM
Winching
Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

I was told the felt tape repair was a quick fix until LR developed a permanent solution. That permanent solution: replacement of the outer, body colored A-pillar panels with new, redesigned panels.

My repair order shows two 'finishers': LR 142542 and LR142525 and 'film': LR138331 and LR138332 (the factory wrap on my vehicle). The dealer sent the parts to the body shop to paint them my truck's body color green and apply the film.

Once they were returned to the dealer swapping them out for the old panels took less than an hour. Under warranty, no cost...
Good to know about the permanent fix. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has or can get a copy of the TSB for the permanent fix. Thank you for sharing this information Gator42. Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer that took care of it for you?

Old 03-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Drifting

I was lucky I guess...
No. Crackling/ rattle where you could tell it was the wind causing it and that it was from the area of the A pillar

Old 03-13-2021, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wcc18999
Good to know about the permanent fix. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has or can get a copy of the TSB for the permanent fix. Thank you for sharing this information Gator42. Do you mind sharing the name of the dealer that took care of it for you?
I was hoping the TSB was printed on my invoice but nothing was there...

Old 03-13-2021, 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got mine back this week, it was the second or third time it went in for the crackling noise from passenger side pillar (US variant). It’s completely fixed now and they resolved the rattle coming from the small thin window area above the back passenger seat (I forget what those little windows are called). The invoice just said they fixed the a pillar noise. There was no real detail. I’m thrilled it is fixed though.

When I dropped the car off the woman in the service department told me that LR was aware of the issue and working on a permanent fix but they did not have one yet though a technician would take a look and try to resolve it. I’m fairly sure they probably just added more of the tape fix they tried the first time. Again, I don’t really care so long as it works.

The only other “issues” I’ve had have been the growing pains with the software (resolved itself after updates) and I think the wipers are crap in blizzard like conditions (they cake up ice on the ends and push away from the windshield rendering themselves completely useless until I pull over and take the ice off) but thankfully the weather has begun to warm up here in Pennsylvania.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:09 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told the felt tape repair was a quick fix until LR developed a permanent solution. That permanent solution: replacement of the outer, body colored A-pillar panels with new, redesigned panels.

My repair order shows two 'finishers': LR 142542 and LR142525 and 'film': LR138331 and LR138332 (the factory wrap on my vehicle). The dealer sent the parts to the body shop to paint them my truck's body color green and apply the film.

Once they were returned to the dealer swapping them out for the old panels took less than an hour. Under warranty, no cost...
Hi mate,
I have given the above parts to my dealer in Australia and passed them onto Land Rover Australua who says there is no bulletin for these parts here.
After initial denial of noise then felt then a third visit I am little betta off with flapping every tine I hit the highway to escape the city.
have the above oarts completely resolved the problem?

Old 04-10-2021, 02:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AusiieJim
Hi mate,
I have given the above parts to my dealer in Australia and passed them onto Land Rover Australua who says there is no bulletin for these parts here.
After initial denial of noise then felt then a third visit I am little betta off with flapping every tine I hit the highway to escape the city.
have the above oarts completely resolved the problem?
Interestingly there was no mention of a TSB or bulletin listed on my invoice for this service. Here in the US I visited two different dealers and they were aware of the problem very early in the 2020 model year so I'm sorry to hear they're giving you the runaround...

The fix with these parts has completely solved the problem. Cheers and good luck...

Old 04-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wcc18999
I started at Land Rover Norwood outside Boston and one fo the highest volume dealers in the US. I moved the truck to LR Hilton Head in South Carolina. They needed a little coaching but were aware of the problem, ordered the parts and did the repair without much issue, except for COVID scheduling...

Old 04-10-2021, 03:57 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotDefender
Did it sound like sifting sand, coming from top of windshield where it met the headliner?
I have told my dealer that it sounds like sand hitting my windshield above the rear view mirror twice now and they say they can't replicate it. I also have the a-pillar flapping which is much louder and sounds like the part is going to fly off on the highway. The first time in for it the dealer said they couldn't replicate it of course so I took a video of it on the highway and sent it via text to my service advisor. This time they are fixing it. They were aware of the issue when I first took it in but this time they said there is a permanent fix for it and had to get in a new part and have it painted. I haven't picked it up yet but I hope this fixes it. The sand hitting the windshield will continue to annoy me and until I can figure that out.

Quick Reply: A Pillar Flapping / Crackling noise at speed