2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plumb丨m-one central control system

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 06:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Well I guess this guy has been sufficiently blown out from posting here. Too bad.
​​​​
It's more expensive than an 85" Sony and a MacBook pro combined, a bit over-logoed, and carbon fiber isn't my thing but I give him credit for trying to come up with some unique accessories. We're a little starved for options. I'm more willing to blame Land Rover for this. Bronco, Jeep, Grenadier all have switch options from the factory. Shouldn't a Defender?

​​

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
ficklma1 (05-16-2023), inater (05-17-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Well I guess this guy has been sufficiently blown out from posting here. Too bad.
​​​​
It's more expensive than an 85" Sony and a MacBook pro combined, a bit over-logoed, and carbon fiber isn't my thing but I give him credit for trying to come up with some unique accessories. We're a little starved for options. I'm more willing to blame Land Rover for this. Bronco, Jeep, Grenadier all have switch options from the factory. Shouldn't a Defender?

​​
if they have same production numbers and market penetration.
Defender is mostly driven by upper middle class.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

You guys really know how to welcome somebody. Like @_Allegedly said, it's not like companies are bringing a lot to the table for the L663. The Grenadier is not even out, BTW tomorrow the pricing and full options are available, and it has more products available to purchase. A company black sheep has already designed a roofrack, a diesel heater for car camping, a table to attach to side. SVLR out of Austrilia has 5 products ready to. All of them expensive as F but everyone has been gracious enough to say I like it but I wish there is a way to make it cheaper. Let's be happy that someone is doing something creative versus giving you a way to carry more stuff in the back.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 02:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

If you don't need the freakishly expensive (and PITA to install) side rail/grab handles, it's probably not too hard to DIY something that has the same functionality. Take some measurements, design a box that fits into the rectangular/rounded corner rectangular hole above all the USB ports and 3D print the shell.

Drill or cut the appropriate holes and then you can mount an existing remote switch system onto it or get some switch gear and guards (ie: this example is about $130 5 toggle panel w/ guards and blue LED indicators. Or maybe something pre-made like this
6 Gang Rocker switch w/ USB and 12V DC socket 6 Gang Rocker switch w/ USB and 12V DC socket
) and you'd have a cool setup. Gotta check the dimensions but you get the idea.

Hmmmmmm....maybe I'll try making a 3D file....

Last edited by DaveCNB; 05-17-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Go for it @DaveCNB . Would love to see the results. I already have enough expensive hobbies and haven't gotten into 3d printing.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:36 AM
Three Wheeling

I took some rather rough measurements today (if anyone has precise dimensions including the radius on the rounded corners of the rectangular hole let me know) and I'll try to make a 3D model that someone can modify as they wish and play with. I don't have a 3D printer myself but I have a couple of friends who do (so forgive me if the model isn't optimized for 3D printing, not my area of expertise), so any suggestions on wall thicknesses and buttressing at corners or stress points would be appreciated.

I'm guessing that the right way to go would be to have the 3D printed portion be a beveled rectangular hollow shape and the actual mounting surface for the switches would be a separate piece (ie. a sheet of aluminum or a separately 3D printed flat surface that snaps on). If the switch mounting surface was 3D printed as a separate piece, it could be 3D printed to have cut outs/knock outs for the switches and raised guards to prevent accidental switch actuation w/o having to buy metal guards and drill holes/mount.

Old 05-18-2023, 04:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Default A quick try at a 3D model

OK, bear with me, I am by no means an expert 3D modeler (I'm just recently starting to learn Shapr3D) and was just working from very rough dimensions/measurements. I can send someone the Shapr3D format file (or let me know what format you prefer) if someone wants to play with it, just PM me.

Pretty sure it's not quite fit to be printed as it is as some adjustments need to be made based on clearances, thicknesses and material shrinkage/expansion at print time (I don't know how much to account for).

Here are the dimensions in mm

Someone have a look/measure the rectangle hole and tell me if these dimensions might work. Especially concerned about how it mates up to the base of the angled shifter/button console. I just picked 10 degrees randomly and it could be changed....but it may be a chore, not at all set on that number.

Last edited by DaveCNB; 05-18-2023 at 04:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveCNB:
GavinC (05-18-2023), inater (05-18-2023), smithbp (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 247 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm using the Switch-Pros SP9100 to control my lighting and air compressor. Saltek Motorsports makes an perfect mount for our Defenders, very high quality super sturdy, simple/clean install, and the cubby is still usable. I did add a negative 12V busbar to the Saltek bracket with rivnuts to simplify the wiring.

Switch-Pros SP-9100

https://store.switchpros.com/sp9100-switch-panel-power-system/

Switch-Pros SP-9100 RCR-Touch 8

https://store.switchpros.com/rcr-touch-8/

Saltek Motorsports Switch-Pros SP-9100 Mount:

https://saltekmotorsports.com/product/switch-pros-sp9100-mounting-brackets-2/

Old 05-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCNB
OK, bear with me, I am by no means an expert 3D modeler (I'm just recently starting to learn Shapr3D) and was just working from very rough dimensions/measurements. I can send someone the Shapr3D format file (or let me know what format you prefer) if someone wants to play with it, just PM me.

Pretty sure it's not quite fit to be printed as it is as some adjustments need to be made based on clearances, thicknesses and material shrinkage/expansion at print time (I don't know how much to account for).

Here are the dimensions in mm

Someone have a look/measure the rectangle hole and tell me if these dimensions might work. Especially concerned about how it mates up to the base of the angled shifter/button console. I just picked 10 degrees randomly and it could be changed....but it may be a chore, not at all set on that number.
Ha! This is awesome!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 11:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Well done, @inater !! My son is in university studying to become a mechanical engineer. I'll send this to him and see what he can spin up.

Quick Reply: Plumb丨m-one central control system