2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new owner -- accessory wind noise questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Possible new owner -- accessory wind noise questions?

Hey

Post #2 and full of the dumb questions -- don't you love new posters? I searched and did a bit of Google and didn't find a good answer.

Current 2013 Evoque owner, and long time (original) Defender fan. The new one has tickled my fancy, so I'm poking at some of the options for an MY2021 Defender.

I love the 'look' the ladder and the external gear locker bring, though I don't think I'd mount the expedition rack. Couple of questions on those:

1) Folks with the gear locker -- is it actually useful? It's not cheap, and I'm not sure if it's a factory accessory on the 2021 or dealer mounted
2) For the ladder and the locker, how much wind noise do they add?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2020, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

For 2021, I'm told that the accessory packs are all dealer-installed items, unfortunately.

Regarding noise, it would be most useful to hear from someone who didn't have the lunch box or the ladder for a while, then added them and can provide a comparison...or, I guess, maybe someone with two Defenders?

Nate

Old 12-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

I use the external gear carrier for my recovery gear. It holds my tow straps, D Shackles, Gloves, and ****** Block perfectly. This gives me easy access when I have need of the winch. I previously used a recovery duffle that would at times get buried in an inconvenient spot when needed. I also have the ladder, and have used it to load the roof. The only wind noise seems to come from the expedition rack, extremely noticeable if the sunroof is opened even the least bit. Possibly for that reason, I've heard no other wind noise

Old 12-16-2020, 04:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by todkavonic
For 2021, I'm told that the accessory packs are all dealer-installed items, unfortunately.

Regarding noise, it would be most useful to hear from someone who didn't have the lunch box or the ladder for a while, then added them and can provide a comparison...or, I guess, maybe someone with two Defenders?

Nate
That means I might as well wait, honestly. If it's going to be at the dealer I can decide later if I need it or not.

Originally Posted by DonMitsu
I use the external gear carrier for my recovery gear. It holds my tow straps, D Shackles, Gloves, and ****** Block perfectly. This gives me easy access when I have need of the winch. I previously used a recovery duffle that would at times get buried in an inconvenient spot when needed. I also have the ladder, and have used it to load the roof. The only wind noise seems to come from the expedition rack, extremely noticeable if the sunroof is opened even the least bit. Possibly for that reason, I've heard no other wind noise
I can imagine! Thanks for the feedback, though. Seems a good use for the lunchbox!

Old 12-16-2020, 05:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the expedition roof rack and the ladder and find that there is quite a bit of noise. I can't compare to not having them though but... The noise increases quite a lot at highway speeds. Compared to my previous car, Ford Flex, the defender is a lot more noisy at around 100kmh but quieter at around 50kph. I suspect that the roof rack adds way more noise then the ladder. But I just love the look, and it does come in handy.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife's came with the lunch box already installed and the dealer owed us the expedition rack because it wasn't on it at delivery. Wind noise with the lunch box was not bad. As soon as they added the rack the wind noise got 100% worse. It's not unbearable, but you will know it's there.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Mudding

Thanks. Looks like Lucky8 has a rear ladder too. Love it.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree . The rack is the main noise generator, not so much the ladder. i don't have the lunchbox. I had my defender for a month before the rack and ladder were installed. At highway speeds, there is a noticeable difference with it on vs. off. At lower speeds, there isn't that much of a difference.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Mudding

I've never had a car where a rack didn't add noise -- well. Except the '87 Blazer, because 'adding' noise wasn't really happening in that thing. It mainly WAS noise.

Lunchbox looks useful, for sure. Thanks for all the guidance.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but I'm comparing my previous car with a roof rack to the new one with one. This one is quite a lot noisier.

Quick Reply: Possible new owner -- accessory wind noise questions?