Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

raised air intake utility?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 04:23 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Default raised air intake utility?

I just checked my engine P400 V6 and noticed the airbox is on the driver side front of the vehicle. If I would install the raised air intake, where does it sucked the air when the airfilter box of the engine is sealed and is not in anyway connected to this airbox. So, is it just for aesthetics?

Old 09-21-2021, 09:34 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same question...sorry, not helpful but debating on adding the snorkel and wheel arch protection.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

It’s a raised air intake (not snorkel) and from what I’ve read it’s functional and not just for show. There’s a lot of info on it. I’d like to install as well but unless they fixed the rivnut, I’m passing for now. I can install myself but not skilled or understand how to use the tool to correct the wrong size that comes in the package.

Watch the install and decide.

https://youtu.be/YPtR-d-WnqI

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 09-21-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
It’s a raised air intake (not snorkel) and from what I’ve read it’s functional and not just for show. There’s a lot of info on it. I’d like to install as well but unless they fixed the rivnut, I’m passing for now. I can install myself but not skilled or understand how to use the tool to correct the wrong size that comes in the package.

Watch the install and decide.

https://youtu.be/YPtR-d-WnqI

It installs to the side vents but how it connects to the engine's air intake or air box is questionable. So I think it's really just aesthetics. Unlike the old safari snorkel of a Jeep or a Nissan patrol, the air snorkel connects directly to the engine air intake as seen by hood cutouts.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
It installs to the side vents but how it connects to the engine's air intake or air box is questionable.
It doesn't. It's not a snorkel.

It's designed to reroute the air flow to force cooler dust-free air into the engine compartment. Improves torque (more oxygen), prevents fouling, improves mpg, and generally helps keep the engine, turbos, and other bitchy parts cooler and cleaner.

Wholly unnecessary on the highway but useful in dry, dusty, hot, sandy places where you're moving slowly. As if anyone will use their Defender like that.

Defender already has a wading depth that's probably never going to be exceeded by most owners. The rest will know what to do... buy a Series II.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
door defender .pdf (496.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: pdf
intake defender .pdf (1,008.2 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by _Allegedly; 09-22-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@_Allegedly - Recommending a Series II?! At least start with the IIa.

@Count Laszlo - There's a LOT of things you can do to really F' up the L663. Installing a rivnut under the A-pillar trim isn't near the top of the list. Definitely something I would say to go for if you are reasonably handy. Buy a rivnut tool on Amazon. I think a best in class will set you back <$40. Then if you want to go mad, you can buy a CRAP load of nuts in various sizes for ~$20. More than used in a lifetime. For $30 you can pick up a good tool WITH more rivnuts than you'll ever need. Spend some time putting rivnuts into anything you have lying around. Most people never practice with a new tool and that's what F's things up. Grab new tool, put it to use, bad things happen. Spend some time with any metal lying around. Or beg, borrow, buy some sheet metal. You won't become a rivnut Zen master, but it doesn't take long to become highly proficient. Then save yourself hundreds of dollars instead of taking it to someone else who won't replace all the clips, screws and details that you care about. Good luck either way you have it installed! (Sometimes someone else saves me a TON of time).

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Count Laszlo (12-03-2022), GavinC (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:42 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
It doesn't. It's not a snorkel.

It's designed to reroute the air flow to force cooler dust-free air into the engine compartment. Improves torque (more oxygen), prevents fouling, improves mpg, and generally helps keep the engine, turbos, and other bitchy parts cooler and cleaner.

Wholly unnecessary on the highway but useful in dry, dusty, hot, sandy places where you're moving slowly. As if anyone will use their Defender like that.

Defender already has a wading depth that's probably never going to be exceeded by most owners. The rest will know what to do... buy a Series II.

like you link says, it is just cosmetic with no inherent purpose at all. the front grille provides enough airflow to the engine especially with its flat front.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@_Allegedly - Recommending a Series II?! At least start with the IIa.

@Count Laszlo - There's a LOT of things you can do to really F' up the L663. Installing a rivnut under the A-pillar trim isn't near the top of the list. Definitely something I would say to go for if you are reasonably handy. Buy a rivnut tool on Amazon. I think a best in class will set you back <$40. Then if you want to go mad, you can buy a CRAP load of nuts in various sizes for ~$20. More than used in a lifetime. For $30 you can pick up a good tool WITH more rivnuts than you'll ever need. Spend some time putting rivnuts into anything you have lying around. Most people never practice with a new tool and that's what F's things up. Grab new tool, put it to use, bad things happen. Spend some time with any metal lying around. Or beg, borrow, buy some sheet metal. You won't become a rivnut Zen master, but it doesn't take long to become highly proficient. Then save yourself hundreds of dollars instead of taking it to someone else who won't replace all the clips, screws and details that you care about. Good luck either way you have it installed! (Sometimes someone else saves me a TON of time).
Haha, I’m very handy but boy did that rivnut confuse me. What wasn’t explained in the video was did he use the rivnut that came with the kit and doesn’t expanding it also expand the treads changing the size. I really want to get the raised air intake. I have a few rivnut tools sitting in my Amazon wish list, agree, get the darn thing and practice! Thanks for the encouragement.

For those saying it’s fake, which seems to be a debate, you could make some very light fabrications to seal it more against the body and the intake, not snorkel proof but I’d assume a reduction in air leakage.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 09-22-2021 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

@GrouseK9 pfff, if you really feel like you need all those posh upgrades. 🤪

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
like you link says, it is just cosmetic with no inherent purpose at all. the front grille provides enough airflow to the engine especially with its flat front.
I believe it is required ... if one lives in Saudi or in parts of Africa or maybe in a US or Australian desert. The sand and fine dust can really gunk up the air filters quickly and limit the engine's power.

Otherwise, I agree they are decoration.

You will see elsewhere on the forum that the mounting has been problematic and sometimes noisy.

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
GrouseK9 (09-22-2021), _Allegedly (09-22-2021)

Quick Reply: raised air intake utility?