2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold My Defender to Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:11 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sold my '22 Defender 90 (P400, X-Dynamic) to Carmax Burbank (CA) and got $10k over sticker. Car had only 1,800 miles on the odometer.

The Land Rover dealers in Los Angeles (where I bought the car) and Encino couldn't/wouldn't even come close.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear you made some money on it. Two questions:

1. Why did you sell so early in your ownership?
2. I remember seeing in the forums that some dealers try to have people sign a "1st right to buy back" type of agreement; did you sign one of these, and say screw them? Or did you not sign upon receiving your 90?

Old 11-25-2021, 02:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Just sold my '22 Defender 90 (P400, X-Dynamic) to Carmax Burbank (CA) and got $10k over sticker. Car had only 1,800 miles on the odometer.

The Land Rover dealers in Los Angeles (where I bought the car) and Encino couldn't/wouldn't even come close.
Wouldn't make ay fiscal sense selling a car so quickly here in WA. On a 75k car, sales tax and on road costs are around 9k so even getting sticker plus 10k would be a wash. Hassle and time spent not worth the 1k. Then I got to go and buy another car. I dislike that. (I suppose if I was trading in quickly, I'd offset the trade value against the purchase price of the new car making the picture more favorable from a $$ standpoint.)

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 10:54 AM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Dude, you don't know the wonderful world of corporations and tax avoidance and "maintenance " costs. Bwahahaha 😂! I love Murica! ❤

Originally Posted by GavinC
Wouldn't make ay fiscal sense selling a car so quickly here in WA. On a 75k car, sales tax and on road costs are around 9k so even getting sticker plus 10k would be a wash. Hassle and time spent not worth the 1k. Then I got to go and buy another car. I dislike that. (I suppose if I was trading in quickly, I'd offset the trade value against the purchase price of the new car making the picture more favorable from a $$ standpoint.)

Old 11-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
Dude, you don't know the wonderful world of corporations and tax avoidance and "maintenance " costs. Bwahahaha 😂! I love Murica! ❤
I tell people I registered my Defender in Montana because they don’t have state inspections and after a number of years I can get a permanent plate. There was one other benefit I can’t remember at the moment. Bwahahahaha!

Old 11-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
Yes you're dead right. As a resident of UnderRock Mars, I'm completely unaware of taxation code and business right-offs

Old 11-26-2021, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Eitan
Carmax is paying crazy prices for almost any car right now. Since many of the manufacturer backed leasing companies have essentially black listed Carmax, meaning they no longer allow them to buy out leases as a third party in order to drive lease returns back to their dealer networks, its been increasingly difficult for Carmax to get inventory. As a result, they're way overpaying for almost any good used car right now.
You nailed it!! That is precisely what’s happening.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:36 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So for those who have received Carmax offers - do they take into account Genuine LR accessories you may have added after the initial purchase? Like I added the OEM roof rack and some other items that weren't on the truck originally and want to know if I should remove before bringing it in if they don't account for them in the estimate. They are all LR genuine parts.

For some reason my local Carmax will not provide an online offer or estimate - it says the car is too "rare"? so need to bring it there for appraisal.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:46 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NAS437
So for those who have received Carmax offers - do they take into account Genuine LR accessories you may have added after the initial purchase? Like I added the OEM roof rack and some other items that weren't on the truck originally and want to know if I should remove before bringing it in if they don't account for them in the estimate. They are all LR genuine parts.

For some reason my local Carmax will not provide an online offer or estimate - it says the car is too "rare"? so need to bring it there for appraisal.
I think they do, but it depends on who will do your appraisal. For example you may ask them to add the "expdition pack" or something of that matter to the value.
But I would expect no where near retail in added value. I.E you added the rack for $1800 but you may get $200-300 extra in the guesstimate.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

I've had (non-Carmax) offers on my 110 for around MSRP (including options) plus tax, so right now options are holding their value

Quick Reply: Sold My Defender to Carmax